How Strict Are They with The Package Delivery Driver Road Test And What To Expect?

deli12

Hey,

I'll be taking my road test on Monday for Package Delivery Driver and want to know what to expect. Oh, I just learned how to drive stick....meaning I will have taken just two 45min classes before the test:surprised: If you stall once is that an automatic failure and how similar are ups trucks to standard cars? What is the max gear drivers usually use on residential streets. How sensitive is the clutch. Do you have to release it alot in order to engage it or not so much?

Thanks!

HULKAMANIA

Re: How Strict Are They with The Package Delivery Driver Road Test And What To Expect

Hey man number 1 dont stress out. All the trucks clutch and shift differently so its hard to answer. Like I said though the most important thing is just to stay calm.

ChadBrunn

My first time I ever drove a stick was the big brown truck on the third day of driving school. But after driving that versus driving a normal standard, I would say it is much easier to drive the brown truck. Like he said above...Don't stress about it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I drove a stick as my daily driver when I went through my training. Good thing too low and behold the only truck available the day we took our test was a hog. Which essentially is a 20 ft semi with a fixed package area instead of a trailer. This thing was massive compared to anything I had driven before. Getting it started from a stop was almost impossible withouth throwing the other person around. Was grinding through all the gears and on turn at a busy intersection I shifted from 2nd to 5th almost killing it then as I'm freaking out trying to find a gear and get out of the intersection the lady training me is screaming at me "you better find the right gear and get out of this intersection"!!! Like everyone else said stay calm don't freak out and you should be fine.......

deli12

Re: How Strict Are They with The Package Delivery Driver Road Test And What To Expect

Thanks for the advice! When starting the truck do I go to first gear first and then immediately to 2nd? I've read on the forum that first gear on the trucks barely moves it.

deli12

I drove a stick as my daily driver when I went through my training. Good thing too low and behold the only truck available the day we took our test was a hog. Which essentially is a 20 ft semi with a fixed package area instead of a trailer. This thing was massive compared to anything I had driven before. Getting it started from a stop was almost impossible withouth throwing the other person around. Was grinding through all the gears and on turn at a busy intersection I shifted from 2nd to 5th almost killing it then as I'm freaking out trying to find a gear and get out of the intersection the lady training me is screaming at me "you better find the right gear and get out of this intersection"!!! Like everyone else said stay calm don't freak out and you should be fine.......

Gee, thanks....sounds really easy...lol...

Indecisi0n

If you grab the sup's shifter and tug, your in.

HULKAMANIA

Thanks for the advice! When starting the truck do I go to first gear first and then immediately to 2nd? I've read on the forum that first gear on the trucks barely moves it.

You will find as a driver, well for me anyway, Im always starting out in 2nd. I never use the 1st gear, its just to low and is pretty useless. Then again I dont use the clutch either unless Im starting or stopping.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

If you are on an incline and starting from a dead stop, use the handbrake. Let it off as you let the clutch pedal out so you don't roll backwards. All vehicles drive differently as far as using the clutch goes. Good luck on your road test.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You will find as a driver, well for me anyway, Im always starting out in 2nd. I never use the 1st gear, its just to low and is pretty useless. Then again I dont use the clutch either unless Im starting or stopping.

This is how I used to do it when I had a manual transmission PC but the OP should start off in 1st gear during the road test. He can then do whatever he wants after that.

Compared to a car a UPS trans is a sloppy bag of gears. Don't worry about finesse and just get it in the right gear. You'll have more to worry about in avoiding hitting things that you encounter.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

They are not too strict.

The main thing is showing basic driving skills and being reasonably smooth on turns, starting and stopping. I believe my first road test in 2004 I stalled the P1000, at least once.

In our district, the P1000 is the standard delivery vehicle for the initial road test. you will be asked to park on a hill and not roll backwards while starting up...that was something I practiced for a while when first learning to drive, so it was fairly easy.

When coming back into the lot, the on-road sup will ask you to back up to the air door (a load/unload dock). Back slowly and steadily and DO NOT KISS THE DOOR, leave around 1-2". :)
Bottom line imo:
drive confidently
look like you know what you are doing even if you don't
utilize mirrors often and ALWAYS WATCH TAIL SWING ON TURNS
stop and start slowly and do not drive over speed limit
leave one package car length in front of you and vehicle in front, at all intersections.
STOP AT ALL PEDESTRIAN WALKWAYS (depending on your states laws, anyway)

OptimusPrime

This is how I used to do it when I had a manual transmission PC but the OP should start off in 1st gear during the road test. He can then do whatever he wants after that.

My only problem with that advice is that IIRC they teach you not to shift while in an intersection or during. Damn near impossible if you are going to start in the granny gear.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh

When I took my road test, the sup let me drive around the parking lot to get a feel for the truck before the road test.

deli12

Great advice!! I will ask the sup what is expected of me exactly and go from there. I will, however, start in first since that's how I was taught.

Took another class today and surprisingly I did worse the second time around...go figure. I also started on a hill and did ok. I stalled a couple of times, but I think I finally got it. Now, driving a huge ups truck may be a whole other animal from what I've read. I'll let you all know how I do.

Scuderia

Two questions OP:

1. How much company seniority do you have?

2. What district are you in?

I really want to get a shot at driving, but in my district (Los Angeles) you need at least 13 or 14 years of seniority to go driving. I only have 10. Thinking about moving just so I can go driving.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I really want to get a shot at driving, but in my district (Los Angeles) you need at least 13 or 14 years of seniority to go driving. I only have 10. Thinking about moving just so I can go driving.

I am retiring in 7 years and will also have a condo for sale. Just sayin'.

trickpony1

Two questions OP:

1. How much company seniority do you have?

2. What district are you in?

Be patient.
It is thought that many drivers (feeder and pkg) will retire before this contract ends.
This may increase your chances of getting into pkg cars.