how to get in part time?

newguy1

ok well everyone has been helpful with all questions i have posted and want to say thank you. i am going to be a seasonal driving probably in the next 2 weeks after i go to maryland for the bootcamp.....but if i wanted to get in as a part timer after the season, obviously signing up for saturday air deliery, how can i do this? do i have to wait for them to post jobs online or since i am working seasonal is there a way to get in right away and continue to work as i want to make a career with UPS.....
also how do i get into the union? i know seasonal i have to pay union fees, but as a part timer do i have to sign up to get into the union or someone needs to help me get into the union? or is it mandatory? i know i need to work on seriority and i am ready to do what it takes to get the job....

tritese

tritese
after peak you should talk to the hr rep that hired you. i have known a lot of seasonal drivers that start work part time after peak. we usually need people to work in the building. if you get hired part time then they would/should give you the opportunity to sign a card for union membership. i don't know where you live but it is not mandatory in the state of florida. we are known as a right to work state. but, i say if you are going to enjoy the union benefits then you should join the union!!

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
This needs to be said so you can make an educated guess. I don't know where you live, but I work in the Spokane building. When you come on part time, you start at 8.50 an hour. You won't get the medical and dental until after a year. The waiting list for Saturday Air is around 5 years. The full time driving list is around 6-7 years. The combo positions are sitting at almost 10-12 years. Feeder driving (big rigs) sits around 4-6 years. If your willing to make the time commitment and are able to, then more power to you. If you need something to happen now, then this just isn't right for you. Lots of people make it work by working pt at ups and at another place. It's not a bad way to go if you can afford it. Over here joining the union is a must. Lots of people make the mistake of thinking if you work harder than other people, you'll advance, but it just doesn't work that way with this union. The only way you'll advance at ups with hard work is if you become a part time supervisor. And even then, at least from what I can tell at my building, you need to sacrifice common sense to advance into management :wink2: I'm really sorry if this isn't what you need to hear, but it's the simple truth. Everyone puts in the time before we become drivers.

evilleace

I'm no expert but even in my building which is small there is a wait to drive airs, there really isn't a fasttrack to a driving career at UPS. If you want a driving job you need a pt package handler position first after that you just wait until you have enough senority to get a ft diving job. Good Luck.

gostillerz

I was in the same boat last peak, but I was a lowly driver helper. I did my job as best as I could, got a recomendation from my driver, then called the center manager ever week for about 3 months. When I was finally hired, he said that me bugging his ass every week was what made him hire me over 5 other guys. He knew I wanted to work, that my goal was to be a driver, and that I knew seniority rules.

The best way I could put it is that you need need "old school, steel mill, bust your hump mentality". You will get rewarded, but depending on the center, it could take a long time, so you need to evaluate if the gain is worth the potental loss.