How to get over on a rookie, hehehe

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Had the guy on the route next to me call me friday night at 5pm. Poor guy was done at 330, made all his pick ups and was told he had to wait, til 6 for his late pick up. He likes to get done early, I guess hes good. So every night someone else has to make it so he can get home............... Wanted to know if I could make it. My eta was 830. I said No I cant but come get my air, I didnt have any. When he came to me he got 15 stops so he didnt just have to sit and wait. I had 52 left because he is on a training route and I have been slammed with his work. I bet he never ever calls me again.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
2014-11-22-16-34-32-1622309598.jpeg

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I love when I am sent to help out and the driver tries to decide what work to give me. I go through his load and choose the section that I want to deliver.
I was real nice. Other than his businesses I was slammed with all day,I had them done already, I gave him what he knew, aka His work, and stopped at stuff he did not know, because I am awesome.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was real nice. Other than his businesses I was slammed with all day,I had them done already, I gave him what he knew, aka His work, and stopped at stuff he did not know, because I am awesome.

That was my point----they usually try to give me the stuff that they don't want to do and that I don't know. I choose the work that is closer to my area that I know really well.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Oh yeah I know, been there played that game. I dont want to hurt anyone, I want to help him succeed, Lord knows no one else will. But it was still daylight. They are really babying the rookies. IMHO you dont learn crap that way. It was bad out, one day, they used no trainees. What good will they be if they dont learn to work in adverse conditions? Most of them still have a boss or driver trainer with them. Are they going to throw them in a truck after 3 days, tell em to go get it? Nope. They did that to most of us.

porkwagon

Oh yeah I know, been there played that game. I dont want to hurt anyone, I want to help him succeed, Lord knows no one else will. But it was still daylight. They are really babying the rookies. IMHO you dont learn crap that way. It was bad out, one day, they used no trainees. What good will they be if they dont learn to work in adverse conditions? Most of them still have a boss or driver trainer with them. Are they going to throw them in a truck after 3 days, tell em to go get it? Nope. They did that to most of us.
It's a kinder, gentler UPS for the incoming freshmen! I was trained in the late 80's with a couple half days with a manager drilling me. Then thrown into the mix running garbage in all weather conditions in a beat up early 70's 600.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They have been sending new drivers fresh out of school with me on Fridays to get a taste of the pace that will be expected of them when they are on their own. For most of them it is an eye-opening day.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yup, if you are going to make it, it aint a schoolday in Clarksville. And they are taking the automatics from the seniors, which I actually dont mind if it doesnt have that 2 ft high step, my knees are shot because of 20 yrs of it, and I need power steering, for any of us to have had to wrestle that was ludicrous at best.

porkwagon

Trust me porkwagon, where we deliver you would prefer busy.
That wasn't me, but I've been reading your posts for over a decade so I know. My center has some rough hoods, but where I deliver is not one of them. Quite affluent actually. (Philly western suburb.)

Re-Raise

Our new guys think they can look every address up on their phone and still get done.

The last one they put on the street ran a 6 hr plan in 11 hrs. We are so screwed it isn't even funny.

Our new guys think they can look every address up on their phone and still get done.

The last one they put on the street ran a 6 hr plan in 11 hrs. We are so screwed it isn't even funny.
It Is the company's fault 100%. They ran the operation,down to the bare bones. Just to make the share holders happy. Not enough people or package cars. No big investments,in infrastructure in the last 5 years. Didnt plan on all of this growth or the railroad sticking it to us.

You got to spend money,to make money. Now we are playing catch up. Just like they under estimated FEDEX!.

time to be a leader,not a follower!....jmho