How to piss off a Driver?

Tough Guy

I would get excited if I had a load that good with packages lipped om shelves and neatly stacked. Much better than what most loads are like. I asked a loader why he wasn't lipping packages and he had no idea what I was talking about. Loaders are not trained to properly load now.

In fairness, that is true. I remember my first week, I was instructed to just look at the spa label, and put it on the corresponding shelf. Nobody said anything about "lip loading", bulk stops on the floor, airs in a tote, none of it. So the driver mentioned something about starting to lip load, I had to politely tell him that I never even heard the term before. So indeed, the "training" is extremely minimal.

mixyo

Dispatcher
lol "LT" is such a prick. I go out of my way to treat my drivers with a lot of respect. Their job ain't any easier than mine.

Random_Facts

Remove the pal labels from the packages, a newbie driver will want to strangle you for that. Misload the entire car. Put that 7000 shelf in the 4000 shelf section. That little AIR package, will fit nicely on the top shelf, but behind everything. That bulk head door, can be jammed nicely with the RDC bulk stop. The tires you might get? Will go perfectly wedged and crammed in the FL1 section. Those heavy books that all drivers hate, put that in the most ridiculous place on earth, just far enough from the bulk head door, and just far enough from the back door.

Follow these steps, and you'll be strangled by tomorrow morning. Your car if he/she knows what you drive, will most likely be torched. You don't get mad, you get even!

On a side note, the above should NOT be taken seriously, why would anyone want to purposely make hell for a driver. I mean I understand some drivers need it at times. But the average UPS driver is pretty awesome, and they won't harm you. we're all human after all. ^_^.

JDAM00

lol "LT" is such a prick. I go out of my way to treat my drivers with a lot of respect. Their job ain't any easier than mine.

If giving him a perfect load 100% by the book is a prick, than so be it.

Thanks,
Loyal Teamster

I would give the pal system a C- at best. It just can't tell how big the packages are, and how much room will be on that shelf. Also drivers will communicate that 4739 Brown Lane is a dock delivery, and it will continue to be Pal'd to 2200. All 20 of them. A good loader knows that if he gets 20 packages Pal'd to 1300, it should be loaded RDC. If there is already a RDC then try and put one in the late 8000 section, or put both RDC, one to the left, one to the right. Or it's a good move to put the long carpet that's Pal'd to 7775 behind all of the floor packages under the 3,000 and 4,000 shelf. Do you know how many loaders will just toss it down the center isle of the truck as they "bulk in" and go home. Hey it's under the 7,000 section. As long as its close.

J

jibbs

A good loader knows that if he gets 20 packages Pal'd to 1300, it should be loaded RDC. If there is already a RDC then try and put one in the late 8000 section, or put both RDC, one to the left, one to the right. Or it's a good move to put the long carpet that's Pal'd to 7775 behind all of the floor packages under the 3,000 and 4,000 shelf. Do you know how many loaders will just toss it down the center isle of the truck as they "bulk in" and go home. Hey it's under the 7,000 section. As long as its close.

Truthfully? I've made it a habit to put those 20 packages PAL'd to 1300 grouped together on the floor, underneath the 1000/2000 shelves and right behind the F1 packages. I've never received a complaint (regarding that) but... is it really more practical to load them RDC? (I realize that this specific question would require me to ask my drivers for an accurate answer, just trying to see what the general feeling on the subject is.)

More often than not my trucks are not bricked out. There's a clear walkway and I do everything that my spatial skills will allow to make the irregs and bulk stops on the ground run in sequential order... Given the choice, would most drivers prefer it that way, or just the hell with sequence when it comes to a bulk stop and group them as close to the door as possible?

Ms.PacMan

Given the choice, would most drivers prefer it that way, or just the hell with sequence when it comes to a bulk stop and group them as close to the door as possible?
I think most drivers would prefer a rear door bulk stop. Every 2 weeks I get 25-40 45lb boxes of shakes/food for a diet center and have the loader put it in the back. Taking that much heavy bulk out the front door takes an eternity because only so much will fit in the stairwell. I have to jump out of the driver's side, go around, load them on the cart then load some more in the stairwell, jump out, run around......

thessalonian13

He's always complaining about having too much work, he believes not having a clear walkway is too much work.
How can I piss off my driver without getting in trouble? What are some little things that really piss off a driver?
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Loyal Teamster
Reading pointless posts from idiots like you. LOL

BrownArmy

21467915-trolling.gif

J

jibbs

I think most drivers would prefer a rear door bulk stop. Every 2 weeks I get 25-40 45lb boxes of shakes/food for a diet center and have the loader put it in the back. Taking that much heavy bulk out the front door takes an eternity because only so much will fit in the stairwell. I have to jump out of the driver's side, go around, load them on the cart then load some more in the stairwell, jump out, run around......

Damn, I never thought of it that way. Thanks for the insight. For some reason I've had it in my head that everything gets taken out the back, not the front. It's a stupid thought, though, because in retrospect 99% of the time I see UPS delivering the drivers are "briskly walking" to and from the driver's seat, not in and out of the back of the truck.