NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
Wake up.

Wash your Vette.

Drive it.

tenor.gif

Shiftless

HUH?

You think you cant have structure when you retire? Easy Peasy!

Question is why? Have a plan! Stay busy or DIE! It is that friend - ing SIMPLE!

Don't be that guy who sits down on the couch and dies in 6 months!!! Indulge a hobby, Travel, Give back to your community thru volunteerism. JUST STAY BUSY!

Vette51

HUH?

You think you cant have structure when you retire? Easy Peasy!

Question is why? Have a plan! Stay busy or DIE! It is that friend - ing SIMPLE!

Don't be that guy who sits down on the couch and dies in 6 months!!! Indulge a hobby, Travel, Give back to your community thru volunteerism. JUST STAY BUSY!
I plan a little side hustle, a little volunteering, and a little me time. Zero cold, rain, sleet or snow or anyone telling me what to do. Its still a scary transition.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Only tough part was going to work every day those last few months when freedom was so close I could taste it. Other than that it's been a piece of cake, feels very natural to me.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I plan a little side hustle, a little volunteering, and a little me time. Zero cold, rain, sleet or snow or anyone telling me what to do. Its still a scary transition.
It does take some getting used to no matter the prep. worked over 40 years total. sleep is the best thing. at first you have plenty to do then you may get a little antsy.

was very tempted to get a part time job about 12-18 months after i retired but fought the urge. glad i did. now pretty busy with my own little side business ( 2-3 hours a day ). we take a lot of day trips. shopping is fun now.

worried about funds at first but got over that when we had no problems getting along on pension. once the SS kicked in it was all gravy. Still havent touched the 401k or IRA's in last 5 years.

RetiredIE

Retirement is VASTLY underrated
Im still in my 50s, broke down !! A little nervous about adjusting to a new life. Almost 40 years of structure.

For the first 2-3 weeks it will feel like a weird, extended vacation. After that, believe me, you won't look back. The thousands of little things that drove you nuts that you took for granted will disappear. You will sleep better. You are basically being paid to be on vacation. Let that sink in for a minute. You have earned this time.

This is a huge life change, and it is normal to be a little nervous. The nice thing is that this is a hugely positive life change. The first time it snows, you will be able to enjoy it inside. You can enjoy the holiday season with zero stress. When it's 100 degrees in July next year, you can just smile.

I fish every day. My wife and I take a walk just about every day. Shopping is actually fun. I think you will soon find that structure is vastly overrated. Good luck. Enjoy this time and thank you for 40 years of service!

Vette51

For the first 2-3 weeks it will feel like a weird, extended vacation. After that, believe me, you won't look back. The thousands of little things that drove you nuts that you took for granted will disappear. You will sleep better. You are basically being paid to be on vacation. Let that sink in for a minute. You have earned this time.

This is a huge life change, and it is normal to be a little nervous. The nice thing is that this is a hugely positive life change. The first time it snows, you will be able to enjoy it inside. You can enjoy the holiday season with zero stress. When it's 100 degrees in July next year, you can just smile.

I fish every day. My wife and I take a walk just about every day. Shopping is actually fun. I think you will soon find that structure is vastly overrated. Good luck. Enjoy this time and thank you for 40 years of service!
Appreciate your support and input

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have 21 more work days until retirement and I will have no problem adjusting to it. I hate going to work now after the way the pandemic changed things. I’m looking forward to it.

Up In Smoke

I bought a small dump truck, trailer, stump grinder and trimming tools a couple years back and have another retired driver working for/with me hauling mulch and stone, trimming trees and grinding stumps. He works 20-25 hrs a week and I do a few weekends. Lots of cash jobs and a flexible schedule. Cutting grass is to regimented. I'll retire in a couple years and all my equipment should be paid for and the guy working with me will fully retire.

Shiftless

I have 21 more work days until retirement and I will have no problem adjusting to it. I hate going to work now after the way the pandemic changed things. I’m looking forward to it.

Lets calculate the 21 days in real time while you work out the remaining days before retirement.

1 day equates to a week of time, so figure it will feel like 21 weeks for the 21 days to go by.

Add in an extra week per every 7 days of work left will feel like 3 penalty added weeks.

Fuzzy math says: 21 weeks plus 3 penalty weeks adds up to it will feel like 24 weeks away to that glorious day!

Truth be told! It will go bye in a blink of an eye compared to all the time you spent getting to this point!!

I hope you get to step away Grateful and Happy you made it, YOU EARNED IT!

quad decade guy

Fat paychecks. How do you get over those? 70 % cut in pay. Serious question. See, those fat checks allow me to do and have a pretty comfortable life(except the Sucky UPS part). That's why I don't leave and now that my wife is sick.....pretty much sealed it.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Fat paychecks. How do you get over those? 70 % cut in pay. Serious question. See, those fat checks allow me to do and have a pretty comfortable life(except the Sucky UPS part). That's why I don't leave and now that my wife is sick.....pretty much sealed it.

ever heard of a 401-k what about a simple savings account some people even bury it in the backyard. How about the term “save for a rainy day”
I have heard that some back in the day even had second jobs on the weekends to help prepare for retirement

If your looking for sympathy because you never saved a dime in 40 years even though ups couldn’t have made it any easier for you
Afraid you’re gonna have to keep looking

quad decade guy

ever heard of a 401-k what about a simple savings account some people even bury it in the backyard. How about the term “save for a rainy day”
I have heard that some back in the day even had second jobs on the weekends to help prepare for retirement

If your looking for sympathy because you never saved a dime in 40 years even though ups couldn’t have made it any easier for you
Afraid you’re gonna have to keep looking

Sympathy? No. BTW, what exactly do you know about me? Really about my "finances"? All I've ever said is I'll miss the fat paychecks.

See, this is just another personal attack. So odd. We'll get through the bad stuff....just on UPS's dime. In my way of thinking, whole lot better than spending my own money.....of which you know......wait for it....nothing. burrheadd? more like d!@khead.

Vette51

??? House better be paid off or close to it whether you saved or not if you plan to retire. My pay drops but only about 30% bring home, you basically only pay federal taxes. Sorry about your wife, hope she gets better.

clean hairy

What I am looking forward to when I retire (which is not far off)
Not having a short check due to missing a few days for say the flu.
Not having management saying you have to work a 6th day.
NOT having to work the day after Thanksgiving.
Not having to be sure to get in 1 punch a week to keep the health insurance.
Of course, might miss the extra fun from filing grievances.....