How ups does not care about their workers

pissed off

I WAS A PROUD DRIVER FOR 20 YEARS AND THEN I HAD A INJURY IN APRIL AND THEN CAME BACK TO WORK FULL DUTY IN AUGUST,MY MANAGER WAS PISSED AT ME AND WITHOUT A WARNING EVER ISSUED I WAS TERRMINATED IN SEPT. MIND YOU I WAS NEVER IN ANY TROUBLE IN 20 YEARS.....MY ARBITRATION CASE WONT BE COMING UP TILL JUNE OR JULY.HOW CAN THEY DO THIS WHEN THE KNOW YOU HAVE TO PROVIDE FOR YOUR FAMILY. I HAVE 4 KIDS ONE IS 10 MONTHS WHO NEEDS TO VISIT THE DOCTORS A LOT. I HAVE NO BENEFITS. THEY JUST DONT CARE. WE ARE JUST A NUMBER TO THEM. WE ALL HAVE TO STAND UP TO THEM AND FIGHT. EVERYONE I TALK TO SAYS I CANT BELIEVE IT BUT BELIEVE IT IAM LIVING THE NIGHTMARE. IF YOU THINK IT CANT HAPPEN TO YOU TRUST ME IT CAN.:angry:IAM STARTING TO CALL AND WRITE TO ATLANTA AND GET OTHER LEGAL ADVICE

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

For extending my lunch. Iwas done with delieveries just waiting for pickups

Did you send an ODS letting them know that you were done with deliveries and that there would be downtime before you started your pickups and ask them what they wanted you to do? Always put the ball in their court.

whiskey

I can count on one hand the number of times I've been under dispatched.
You picked the wrong economy to make the mistake of not sending them a message, letting them know what shape you were in. Good luck, and Godspeed.

Overpaid Union Thug

I wasn't aware that extending your lunch was a cardinal infraction. I've done it lots of times but I entered the time in the DIAD. Around here they'll bitch about not taking the full hour but rarely say a word about taking more. And they only say something about that because they are asking to make sure we didn't just put the wrong times by mistake.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
For extending my lunch. I was done with deliveries just waiting for pickups
There's a whole range of possibilities there. Were you done 10 minutes before your pickups? Or two hours? Did you spend that time parked outside your first pickup or were you goofing off somewhere? If they are taking you to panel they must feel they have a pretty good case. Or your manager is a just a jerk who's trying to screw you, I've seen that before too.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I wasn't aware that extending your lunch was a cardinal infraction. I've done it lots of times but I entered the time in the DIAD. Around here they'll bitch about not taking the full hour but rarely say a word about taking more. And they only say something about that because they are asking to make sure we didn't just put the wrong times by mistake.
They won't say anything about coding extra lunch time because it reduces your over allowed and makes their numbers look better. We've got a bunch of guys who do this on a regular basis just so that they won't show over 9.5 on the operations report. Keep in mind that these are guys who don't take their lunch anyway. Their "reason" for doing this is that their sup gets mad at them if they go over 9.5 and he's a scary guy, it's the one of the most pathetic gutless things I've ever seen here, and I've seen quite a bit.

Overpaid Union Thug

They won't say anything about coding extra lunch time because it reduces your over allowed and makes their numbers look better. We've got a bunch of guys who do this on a regular basis just so that they won't show over 9.5 on the operations report. Keep in mind that these are guys who don't take their lunch anyway. Their "reason" for doing this is that their sup gets mad at them if they go over 9.5 and he's a scary guy, it's the one of the most pathetic gutless things I've ever seen here, and I've seen quite a bit.

Yep. Pathetic. I've seen guys driving like maniacs on the lot and skipping refueling their trucks to get parked and off the clock before they are over 9.5. LOL!

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
MY ARBITRATION CASE WONT BE COMING UP TILL JUNE OR JULY.HOW CAN THEY DO THIS WHEN THE KNOW YOU HAVE TO PROVIDE FOR YOUR FAMILY. I HAVE 4 KIDS ONE IS 10 MONTHS WHO NEEDS TO VISIT THE DOCTORS A LOT. I HAVE NO BENEFITS.
The more overhead you have, the more you desperately need your job. Management knows of your situation and this makes you a prime target to get f_ _ked with like this. I figured this tactic out a decade ago. I've seen this stuff happen dozens of times over that decade. Package car is an evil beast-you as a PC driver are fully expendable and are easily enough replaced. That alone made me learn to not live paycheck to paycheck. If this happened to me now at this moment in time I could easily sit home until the hearing in July and all of my bills would be paid(being healthy I would roll the dice on having no benefits). I guess management is gonna say you stole time - if you are a bonus center and you ran under that day I don't even know how they could say you stole time. You didn't go into detail about specifics on your termination so I'm just guessing. No doubt the penny pinching antics of management these days having everything under the microscope probably has alot to do with you being let go. What you did was commonplace back when I drove PC in a better economic time. Good luck

tieguy

Banned
I WAS A PROUD DRIVER FOR 20 YEARS AND THEN I HAD A INJURY IN APRIL AND THEN CAME BACK TO WORK FULL DUTY IN AUGUST,MY MANAGER WAS PISSED AT ME AND WITHOUT A WARNING EVER ISSUED I WAS TERRMINATED IN SEPT. MIND YOU I WAS NEVER IN ANY TROUBLE IN 20 YEARS.....MY ARBITRATION CASE WONT BE COMING UP TILL JUNE OR JULY.HOW CAN THEY DO THIS WHEN THE KNOW YOU HAVE TO PROVIDE FOR YOUR FAMILY. I HAVE 4 KIDS ONE IS 10 MONTHS WHO NEEDS TO VISIT THE DOCTORS A LOT. I HAVE NO BENEFITS. THEY JUST DONT CARE. WE ARE JUST A NUMBER TO THEM. WE ALL HAVE TO STAND UP TO THEM AND FIGHT. EVERYONE I TALK TO SAYS I CANT BELIEVE IT BUT BELIEVE IT IAM LIVING THE NIGHTMARE. IF YOU THINK IT CANT HAPPEN TO YOU TRUST ME IT CAN.:angry:IAM STARTING TO CALL AND WRITE TO ATLANTA AND GET OTHER LEGAL ADVICE

if your discharge was in september and your panel is not until june or july then some of your anger should be directed at your BA.

Braveheart

Did you code out the extra lunch?

If so then you did not steal time or money. In fact you were honest and denied yourself pay.

However this is proves yet again that running for UPS does not pay.

If you did code it out as lunch then there is also no falsification of records either.

I would hire a lawyer fast. Have all your buddies ring the union halls phones off the hook about how this is bs and they expect them to get your job back pronto!!

I would make sure my customers were ringing both UPS and the union hall asking where is my favorite driver????!!!!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Maybe this is why our center is being dispatched quite light the last few weeks. Maybe they are trying to set drivers up to be fired. Why should we have to take an extra lunch? It is not our responsibilty to dispatch routes. If you don't want people sitting around, fill the gap with enough work. We are not Fedex drivers, we don't have split routes with 3 hour gaps. I find many of these "firing" threads to lack all the details. This stuff just doesn't happen where I work.

browned out

Please give specific details cause some people on here are very quick to judge.

Most people here in his situation are quick to judge based on past experience. UPS employees, both hourly and management have seen people tossed to the curb with no rhyme or reason: other than to avoid workman's comp. Good luck and hire a lawyer ASAP. Document everything and don't back down. If you extended your lunch and coded it as such; it is non paid time and should have been OK with explanation. As long as you were not being dishonest.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Your contract is clear, here we receive a 1 hour unpaid lunch and a 10 minute paid break. UPS has PAS/EDD they know how much work they put on us and if we get it done we get it done. We cannot be forced to document more time unpaid time by extending our lunch. Each center has a fulltime dispatcher its their job to DISPATCH.

Are your pick ups heavy? Is this where you get your bulk of paid day from? Or is it evenly split between delivery and pick ups?

Last contract we where able to add a sitting arbitrator to our discipline panels. This was huge, no more sitting out a year or more while waiting for arbitration. Now you will know your fate within a month, and I can tell you more people hvae returned to work than what have been shown the door, alot more!