How will self driving cars impact UPS jobs?

Coldfeer234

been following these self driving cars for a bit. seems they're being introduced slowly and slowly by different companies.

UBER is now slowly rolling them out.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
If a self driving car can load up handcart and deliver a high rise, or back up to a dock and load up a truck it would be worrisome. Until then its a waste of money to convert package cars to self driving if you still need a service provider to provide service.

It will be fine

If a self driving car can load up handcart and deliver a high rise, or back up to a dock and load up a truck it would be worrisome. Until then its a waste of money to convert package cars to self driving if you still need a service provider to provide service.
The reduction in accidents might push the issue faster than you might think. They'll still need an operator and delivery guy for now but eventually you could be prepping the next stop in the cargo area while the truck drives there.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
The reduction in accidents might push the issue faster than you might think. They'll still need an operator and delivery guy for now but eventually you could be prepping the next stop in the cargo area while the truck drives there.
wow! that would be something.

it seems like technology is moving too fast. glad i live in the country.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
The reduction in accidents isn't there yet. The Google car drove around for a year and got into 11 accidents. Auto driving has a looking way to go before it becomes beneficial. I've been driving for ups everyday since 2005 and have no accidents. And I live in one of the most congested areas of the country.

It will be fine

The reduction in accidents isn't there yet. The Google car drove around for a year and got into 11 accidents. Auto driving has a looking way to go before it becomes beneficial. I've been driving for ups everyday since 2005 and have no accidents. And I live in one of the most congested areas of the country.
I thought the Google cars only have 1 at fault accident. Computers will be better drivers, it's only a matter of when not if. Add in the cost savings of not having to train people to drive and the economics will make it necessary to adopt.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I thought the Google cars only have 1 at fault accident. Computers will be better drivers, it's only a matter of when not if. Add in the cost savings of not having to train people to drive and the economics will make it necessary to adopt.

It won't happen in your lifetime.

Gone fishin

Would you let one drive you. No way anyone in my family would. Computers break all the time. What happens when the cars driving and it goes out.

dudebro

Would you let one drive you. No way anyone in my family would. Computers break all the time. What happens when the cars driving and it goes out.

It won't happen in your lifetime.
It absolutely will, technology wise. The Google cars do not "break all the time", they'll build in a redundancy like an airplane would. If they have an issue, they slowly pull over and stop. The question is what protections can the Teamsters negotiate into the contract to protect jobs during the transition. There's nothing really stopping yard switchers from being automated now - there's no on road liability.

It will be fine

Absolutely. I'd love it. Road trips where I could relax and take in the sights. My hour commute at the end of the day being reduced because traffic is better controlled and I can sit back and read a book. Where do I sign up?

dudebro

I'm playing devils advocate here, but you don't necessarily need a fully qualified top rate service provider in this instance - all you need, is a "helper".

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
It absolutely will, technology wise. The Google cars do not "break all the time", they'll build in a redundancy like an airplane would. If they have an issue, they slowly pull over and stop. The question is what protections can the Teamsters negotiate into the contract to protect jobs during the transition. There's nothing really stopping yard switchers from being automated now - there's no on road liability.

When someone builds one capable of driving down a one lane, unmarked, gravel road at night in a snowstorm, let me know.

It will be fine

When someone builds one capable of driving down a one lane, unmarked, gravel road at night in a snowstorm, let me know.
You realize humans aren't particularly good at that either right? Just because there will be exceptions when manual control is needed doesn't mean the whole idea falls apart. Automation is coming in all industries.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Computers just don't "go out".

Computers don't put their make up on, drink coffee, read the mail, shave, brush their teeth or do any of the countless number of things drivers should not be doing while driving.

Computers can accurately and instantly recognize and adjust for changing conditions.

I would sooner let a computer drive me around than drive a Smart car on a freeway.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
You realize humans aren't particularly good at that either right? Just because there will be exceptions when manual control is needed doesn't mean the whole idea falls apart. Automation is coming in all industries.
My question has always been

When all labor is automated, who is going to have a job and have money to buy whatever they're making?

No everyone is adept to an office job.

Gone fishin

I read where the tesla ran through a tractor trailer killing the driver because the sensor didn't pick up the trailer I'm not gonna be that mistake. I have no problem with others trying them,just rather be in control

dudebro

And even then, the Google car was moving at 2 mph and the bus it sideswiped was moving at 15 mph. Both vehicles thought the other would yield, and the confusion was someone has blocked off a storm drain with sandbags.

Google's self-driving car finally at fault in accident

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I read where the tesla ran through a tractor trailer killing the driver because the sensor didn't pick up the trailer I'm not gonna be that mistake. I have no problem with others trying them,just rather be in control

From what I read the trailer was white and the sun was at an angle where it blinded the computer.

dudebro

And the guy was watching a movie, when he was SUPPOSED to be in control. I'm sure the 2 software updates they've released since then has addressed that to some degree. What isn't making the news, is all the crashes that COULD have been avoided through automation and weren't.

Like the guy who had a PE and COULDN'T drive, but the car took him to the hospital on his command.

Tesla Autopilot Drives Owner to Hospital During Pulmonary Embolism

And automation would eliminate the dozens of stories like these where a tractor trailer kills an entire family through inattention:

Tractor-trailer driver arrested in Alabama crash that killed family of 3

6 in single extended family killed in Kentucky highway crash

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
From what I read the trailer was white and the sun was at an angle where it blinded the computer.

No. The front-facing sensors are mounted low on the front bumper.

If the trailer had had side skirts or if the wheels had been in front of the car, the accident probably wouldn't have happened.