How would you quit UPS?

BCFan

As this will be my last contract, I have given this quite a bit of thought and have decided to retire with a bang also. Get up and go in at regular time grab my truck and drive out like normal. Then the first stop will be the IHOP for coffee and a nice breakfast followed by more coffee drank leisurely. About 11 o'clock send supervisor a text message that air is ALL late, then after he finishes having a fit, tell him BTW I retire!! I don't want a party or parting gifts, just a legacy that speaks to the younger drivers that ole BC had the biggest balls on property. BC

djkre8r

We had a driver put the keys in the back of the truck and called the center to quit. Several years later he was hired back on preload and NOW, he is a sup!!!!!!!!

BrownArmy

We had a casual driver last peak who worked for two or three weeks...

One day he left a full truck out in the yard and walked away, never answered his phone, never heard from again.

Funny thing is, no one noticed until two or three pm...

That's a pretty solid way to quit.

Nimnim

The Nim
One thing I just don't get with how some people are saying they'd like to quit is how their method would screw the customer. I understand screwing management/the company/fellow co-worker, but the customer is the reason the company exists and why you could have the job in the first place.

65Goat

We had a driver take his route out, come back later that morning and park the truck. Didn't say a word to anyone. Left. The truck sat there for the longest time before someone realized it was there.

We had a driver do the same thing! Drove it back to the building, nosed it into the dock and left the diad sitting in the drivers seat. First driver back to the building after it was found had a really bad day.

Indecisi0n

We had a driver do the same thing! Drove it back to the building, nosed it into the dock and left the diad sitting in the drivers seat. First driver back to the building after it was found had a really bad day.

I would have looked around to see if anyway was looking and slowly backed away without saying anything.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
I will make sure all my pension paperwork is in order, then give 2 weeks written notice. And I will continue busting my ass and giving a fair days work for a fair days pay during that final 2 weeks. After 30+ years I will want to leave on good terms, even if I am the only one who wlll notice or care.

Business arraignment and relationship concluded, shake hands, and move on. Life is too short for grudges and revenge for however you feel they wronged you. Consider yourself lucky you made it and left with a pension most other out there beyond the brown line do not.

See ya on some distant beach...Been here twice and love it. It one of the best Town/Cities to retire to.

[video=youtube;EXD5OIHc3QI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXD5OIHc3QI[/video]

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

LOL If that was me, I wouldn't have said a word. I would have clocked out and gone home. :happy-very:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
One thing I just don't get with how some people are saying they'd like to quit is how their method would screw the customer. I understand screwing management/the company/fellow co-worker, but the customer is the reason the company exists and why you could have the job in the first place.

If for whatever reason you are absolutely compelled to piss off your management team, show up in the parking lot after you have retired with the fish you have been catching. Or make a big poster of your pension check and wave it at them as they glumly march into work on a Monday morning. But dont screw over your co-workers and customers by pulling some stunt like leaving a truck full of undelivered packages for them to deal with. That is unethical, it is low, it is childish, and it is a really crappy way to end a career in my opinion. Be the bigger man, have some integrity, and walk away from the job with class and grace instead of sh%tting all over the customers and co-workers you are leaving behind.

Nimnim

The Nim
If for whatever reason you are absolutely compelled to piss off your management team, show up in the parking lot after you have retired with the fish you have been catching. Or make a big poster of your pension check and wave it at them as they glumly march into work on a Monday morning. But dont screw over your co-workers and customers by pulling some stunt like leaving a truck full of undelivered packages for them to deal with. That is unethical, it is low, it is childish, and it is a really crappy way to end a career in my opinion. Be the bigger man, have some integrity, and walk away from the job with class and grace instead of sh%tting all over the customers and co-workers you are leaving behind.

Man, if I came into work one day and a recent retiree was having a fish fry in the parking lot for their former co-workers I don't know what I'd do, but it might end up with a punch in the face for a kiss on the lips. ^_^

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

images

soberups

I will have well over 30 years in the drivers seat on my final day before retirement. Its going to be an emotional day for me. I cannot imagine endng a career of that length by doing something as crappy as leaving a truck full of undelivered packages behind for my friends and coworkers to deal with. I dont care how sleazy the management in my building might be when that day arrives....I will look them in the eye, shake their hand and wish them well when I leave. Why stoop to their level when you can rise above it?

BCFan

I will have well over 30 years in the drivers seat on my final day before retirement. Its going to be an emotional day for me. I cannot imagine endng a career of that length by doing something as crappy as leaving a truck full of undelivered packages behind for my friends and coworkers to deal with. I dont care how sleazy the management in my building might be when that day arrives....I will look them in the eye, shake their hand and wish them well when I leave. Why stoop to their level when you can rise above it?
Payback is hell after 34 plus years my reoccurring dream is just as I said......IHOP -coffee - and the old high hard one for the crappy stupidvisors that now occupy our offices. Not as a slap in the face for co-workers but a statement against all the brow beating and harassment we receive the duration of our careers. As for screwing your co-workers that is simply a matter of opinion. The ones affected will be the burners that make our days hard by setting standards by working off the clock,giving up lunch,and driving unsafely, to those folks I say KMA.....BC

soberups

Payback is hell after 34 plus years my reoccurring dream is just as I said......IHOP -coffee - and the old high hard one for the crappy stupidvisors that now occupy our offices. Not as a slap in the face for co-workers but a statement against all the brow beating and harassment we receive the duration of our careers. As for screwing your co-workers that is simply a matter of opinion. The ones affected will be the burners that make our days hard by setting standards by working off the clock,giving up lunch,and driving unsafely, to those folks I say KMA.....BC

What about the customers who wind up not getting their packages that day?

What about the drivers who have to stay out until 9 or 10 that night trying to make service on those packages?

How will your actions affect employee/management relations after you are gone? Do you really think your actions will cause the "crappy stupidvisors" in your center to reevaluate and improve the way they treat their employees? Or will your actions simply reaffirm the negative attitude towards the employees that your supervisors already have?

True story; there is a customer on my route who, years ago, called in multiple complaints on me for kicking up dust, driving "too fast" (20MPH) on the gravel road in front of his house, and refusing to get out of the truck when his 90lb German Shephard was running loose and acting aggressively. The guy was a jerk. One evening a few years later, I was in my personal 4x4 vehicle on a snow day and came across this guy stuck in a snow bank. Rather than leaving him there....I stopped, hooked a tow rope to his bumper, and pulled him out. Never said a word to him, just unhooked the rope and drove away. To this day, he wont make eye contact with me and my conscience is 100% clear because I put petty differences aside and did the right thing.

browniehound

I would give my 2 weeks notice and resign. Even if I won 135 million dollars tomorrow. UPS has been nothing but good to me. I have a great, financially secure life because of them. Actually, if I would win $135 million I would try to stay on as a part-time or full-time air driver. Piece of cake job to just keep busy. Because believe it or not, I like the job in general. However, being a full time package car driver is too hard of work when you have $135 million in the bank.

jaker

trolling
Fine if you don't won't to screw over your coworkers , have your wife drop you off at work do your route and when you are done ( air dropped ) call your sup say my truck is on the corner of I QUIT , GPS my diad and get it