Hub Expansions & new Hubs.....

clean hairy

In Arlington tx, addition of a new 1.1 million sq foot Hub. The Mesquite hub is supposed to be expanded to double the current 400,000 Sq feet to 800,000 sq feet.
What is happening with new hubs or expansions in other parts of the country?

Faceplanted

Perfect timing for ups to get profits down thanks to new construction and then tell the union... "see, were not going as good as prior years so you guys gotta give us concessions this contract"

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Perfect timing for ups to get profits down thanks to new construction and then tell the union... "see, were not going as good as prior years so you guys gotta give us concessions this contract"
Then we don't invest and the same people complain that we don't invest in infrastructure.

rod

Retired 22 years
The UPS building here is pushing 50 years old-has had two major fires after which they patched it back together and now is the worst looking business in the whole industrial park (they even have a letter from city hall awarding them that honor). It has a couple of "temporary" add on loading docks that have been there for at least 10 years. I was told a couple of years ago they had actually thought about getting rid of the temporary docks and building a new addition but because the city insisted they would have to pave the area around the new addition UPS backed off. Didn't want to spend "That kind of money". Meanwhile FedEx just build a beautiful big new building just down the road.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
a lot of buildings are being doubled in size so they can build an automated half while the op still runs, then switch over to that side to gut and redo the original half

inside staffing should go to maybe 1/4 of what it is now

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The original Atlanta Hub off Fulton Industrial will be replaced by a new one a few miles down the road that will be the third largest Hub in the country. I work out of the Forest Park Hub, they spent eight million bucks last year adding on to it. Still no car wash building since it was built in 1991.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Then we don't invest and the same people complain that we don't invest in infrastructure.
How about investing in a system that could help drivers more efficiently deliver their routes while reducing miles??? We could become a "green" company and try and dumb the job down so we could pay less. We could call it O'B R I E N. It will be fantastic..................

clean hairy

How about investing in a system that could help drivers more efficiently deliver their routes while reducing miles??? We could become a "green" company and try and dumb the job down so we could pay less. We could call it O'B R I E N. It will be fantastic..................
Or, we could just let drivers use common sense and area knowledge........

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
With all these new "expansions" and an extra delivery day each week. What do you guys think as far as UPS getting back volume they lost? Are they setting up for this? Getting surepost back? Seems like they are really trying to amp up business.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
With all these new "expansions" and an extra delivery day each week. What do you guys think as far as UPS getting back volume they lost? Are they setting up for this? Getting surepost back? Seems like they are really trying to amp up business.

So they can look broke at contract negotiation time

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
amazon is desperate to shift volume back to us from fedex, among other things