HUB staffing shortages?

We hear all kinds of rumors out in the field about the staffing issues at the Memphis and Indy hubs. We heard staffing is down anywhere from 30 to 50 % depending on who you believe. Is this true? We have heard it is because of low pay and that the Amazon facility has hired 1000s away. If this is the case why hasn't executive management given a directive to get every one of those staff people from the worldwide headquarters in there to fill in the gaps. I bet most of them are sitting at home in their pajamas "working" from home. We have managers and even seniors out working the sorts in many areas. Would be interested to hear from someone in the hub about these staffing rumors.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
We hear all kinds of rumors out in the field about the staffing issues at the Memphis and Indy hubs. We heard staffing is down anywhere from 30 to 50 % depending on who you believe. Is this true? We have heard it is because of low pay and that the Amazon facility has hired 1000s away. If this is the case why hasn't executive management given a directive to get every one of those staff people from the worldwide headquarters in there to fill in the gaps. I bet most of them are sitting at home in their pajamas "working" from home. We have managers and even seniors out working the sorts in many areas. Would be interested to hear from someone in the hub about these staffing rumors.
We have been told the same thing for months. You already know they won’t make those people leave the protection of their homes to pitch in. They might get Covid, or even worse…get dirty.

It will be fine

We have been told the same thing for months. You already know they won’t make those people leave the protection of their homes to pitch in. They might get Covid, or even worse…get dirty.
I have a family member that’s an executive at Navistar. When the big strike happened around 2007 the management had to hop on the line to fulfill their government contracts. That’s the only thing that gets soft hands dirty.

FedEx is short staffed everywhere but I don’t think they’re alone. I’ve heard stories of no dock workers to unload the cargo ships at the ports. There’s too much demand for labor in the entire sector.

bbsam

Staff member
I have a family member that’s an executive at Navistar. When the big strike happened around 2007 the management had to hop on the line to fulfill their government contracts. That’s the only thing that gets soft hands dirty.

FedEx is short staffed everywhere but I don’t think they’re alone. I’ve heard stories of no dock workers to unload the cargo ships at the ports. There’s too much demand for labor in the entire sector.
I hear the same but it’s kinda BS to be in this predicament. Ever since peak ended we were told of a huge wave coming. Kept all my people around but somehow hubs can’t handle the capacity they are getting. Did they not heed their own advice?

fedx

Extra Large Package
I see signs all around where I am,help wanted,no one wants to work as long as govt checks keep coming

That's right. There's no incentive to work making $500 or less a week busting your ass at FedEx when you can sit at home and make what, $700 or so a week on unemployment? Last year they were making $1,000/week to sit at home. I can't blame them one bit for not wanting to work.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.

There is longshoreman "dock workers" the problem is lack of truck drivers to pick the cans up.A ship that normally takes 2 days to unload is taking 5 days right now the terminals are full.That's why you are seeing all those ships waiting outside of the Port of LA.

falcon back

So you expect secretaries, mailroom clerks and various people from corporate to now become hub workers. Not sure driving tugs, operating cargo-matics and other plane loading equipment would be beneficial to their's or those around them safety. Or the planes well being. Many hub workers do those type jobs as their main gig but many in corporate jobs would not make good hub workers. They have raised the pay in the hub to $20 an hr and people still don't want to work. If the government will pay you more for staying at home and give you free or close to it insurance, why go to work. Just ask the restaurant and hotel industry how their staffing problems are. When the extra benefits go away, these lazy :censored2: people will be scrambling for a job and will be begging their elected officials to extend the benefits again.

Star B

White Lightening
That's right. There's no incentive to work making $500 or less a week busting your ass at FedEx when you can sit at home and make what, $700 or so a week on unemployment? Last year they were making $1,000/week to sit at home. I can't blame them one bit for not wanting to work.
This.

I've said time and time again, there should have never been a "random 600 bonus" on unemployment.

It should have been your 2018+2019 reported income (wages + tips) / 24. That's your monthly UI check at 100%. The extra 1/3rd is your "bonus".

Were you not declaring tips to your employer to avoid the tax man? Tough shxt. Actions have consequences.

FedexCares

I think a lot of businesses in the service industry are short staffed right now and I’m sure the hubs had trouble filling all their positions even before COVID. After all, most of the jobs are very physically demanding and most will only give you like 20-25 hours a week. The only thing that makes the job semi desirable is the insurance, which is the same insurance full time employees get including couriers. Even then, the insurance isn’t even close to what it used to be 10 years ago or less and is getting worse every year.

I really don’t see them addressing the shortage unless they decide to give real benefits/hours as most of those jobs are smilet.

throwaway10

Why would you bust your hump for 15/hr(correction $13.53 per fedex.com) during an overnight part time shift, when you can work for 10-14/hr during the day and not destroy your body...

fedx

Extra Large Package
I hate to say it but if Americans won't work then open the floodgates at the border.

There is this misconception that illegal aliens "do the work that Americans won't do" but what they really need to say is "they do the work that Americans won't do for $4 an hour". When you bring in an underclass workforce, you artificially drive down wages for everyone. The real solution is to simply raise the wages until you get people willing to work. If $14/hr to break your back isn't enough, raise it to $15, then $16, then to whatever it takes to reach that point that someone will go to work. That's supply and demand. Right now there is high demand for work, but little supply since people don't want to work for what's being offered by employers. Most of that is because of Democrat policies that pay people more to sit at home and watch TV than work. Leave the floodgates closed at the border.

vantexan

There is this misconception that illegal aliens "do the work that Americans won't do" but what they really need to say is "they do the work that Americans won't do for $4 an hour". When you bring in an underclass workforce, you artificially drive down wages for everyone. The real solution is to simply raise the wages until you get people willing to work. If $14/hr to break your back isn't enough, raise it to $15, then $16, then to whatever it takes to reach that point that someone will go to work. That's supply and demand. Right now there is high demand for work, but little supply since people don't want to work for what's being offered by employers. Most of that is because of Democrat policies that pay people more to sit at home and watch TV than work. Leave the floodgates closed at the border.
We have millions unemployed getting checks while employers go begging for workers and are having to close down in many cases. Of course the Democrats are doing this so that they can bring as many as possible across the border but if the Dems are going to continue the free checks and money printing what are employers supposed to do? Don't know of anywhere that illegals are working for $4hr. They do work for less but most are using phony I.D. for employment and employers have to at least pay them minimum wage. I guarantee they aren't making just minimum wage on construction jobs. I would cut off the unemployment and tell people either go back to work or there won't be jobs to go back to. And stop the stupid lockdowns. Part of the problem is in many states people don't know if their job is safe from being let go over another lockdown.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
The dems need a permanent underclass to keep them in power

Working4the1%

We have millions unemployed getting checks while employers go begging for workers and are having to close down in many cases. Of course the Democrats are doing this so that they can bring as many as possible across the border but if the Dems are going to continue the free checks and money printing what are employers supposed to do? Don't know of anywhere that illegals are working for $4hr. They do work for less but most are using phony I.D. for employment and employers have to at least pay them minimum wage. I guarantee they aren't making just minimum wage on construction jobs. I would cut off the unemployment and tell people either go back to work or there won't be jobs to go back to. And stop the stupid lockdowns. Part of the problem is in many states people don't know if their job is safe from being let go over another lockdown.
Republican compassion strikes again...