Hurricane Faye is on the way!

Will UPS close centers for Hurricane Faye?

• Yes, employee safety comes first!

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Possibly-each center will have a safety decision on a case by case basis

Votes: 26 45.6%
  • Let the drivers go and handle it! We are professionals!

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • What Hurricane?

Votes: 13 22.8%

• Total voters

wornoutupser

Hurricane Faye is projected to hit Florida early next week.

There has been discussion on BC about bad weather and center closing. Vote on the poll!

CFLBrown

Not sure how it's going to be handled. I'd would hope there are no accidents or injuries related to the storm. Of course the next couple of days afterwards are just going to SUCK.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I was in Florida when Hurricane Wilma hit in October a few years ago. I talked to a delivery driver and they shut down for a day. He was working out of a rental to clean up the 1 day backlog.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Weather conditions particular to a region of the country are usually accounted for in the contract supplement for that region. For example, the supplement for Upstate NY talks about the procedures to be followed if operations need to be changed and/or stopped for snow emergencies, which I am sure are not in the supplement for Florida or Arizona. Likewise, hurricanes are not covered in our supplement but are sure to be addressed in the supplement for Florida operations.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Firstly, it's not a hurricane.

Secondly, it still has more land to traverse so it probably will never become a major deal, if a hurricane at all. (maybe cat 1 if you're lucky).

They don't even close down mcdonalds unless it's a cat3.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Infact, it's possible that if Fay ever does become a hurricane, it'll be when it scrapes off the east coast of Florida and intakes some of high-octane gulf stream fuel. At that point it might become a low-end cat 1, but it'll have bypassed Florida.

CFLBrown

Firstly, it's not a hurricane.

Secondly, it still has more land to traverse so it probably will never become a major deal, if a hurricane at all. (maybe cat 1 if you're lucky).

They don't even close down mcdonalds unless it's a cat3.

And at what point does UPS consider it unsafe for their drivers to be out on the road? Regardless of how strong it's going to get. There are going to be some strong winds (sustained and gusts). It's not an issue of how much rain, it's an issue of wind, downed tree limbs, other businesses that close, etc.

How strong do the winds need to be before UPS pulls a driver off the road?

CFLBrown

Infact, it's possible that if Fay ever does become a hurricane, it'll be when it scrapes off the east coast of Florida and intakes some of high-octane gulf stream fuel. At that point it might become a low-end cat 1, but it'll have bypassed Florida.

A projected path to the west of Florida would cause rain bands and tropical storm force winds (also, tornado threats) to be tossed around for the whole state. Seen it before and it will happen again.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

A projected path to the west of Florida would cause rain bands and tropical storm force winds (also, tornado threats) to be tossed around for the whole state. Seen it before and it will happen again.

I understand that majored in Meteorology for almost 3 years.

I'm not so sure Fay comes in the west of Florida, either. Maybe right through the state. Not much difference, really...

If it's only a TS, then you can bet that you'll be out there delivering for as long as management can squeeze out. You know the managers will be trying to play meteorologist too, messaging your board "ETA? ETA?" while you're responding "when the emergency vehicles unblock the road" out in 60 mph tree-snapping winds and blocked roads.

Of course if there's hurricane warnings, you should really just stay home, period. Book off.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

On topic: I think a state of emergency is where you don't have to work.

In 1991 we had a hurricane this way (they dont happen often) and a state of emergency was declared before the storm, so everything was closed that day.

If there's no state of emergency, UPS will probably work you. Will it be safe? Heck no. Where do you draw the line? What do you think?

And at what point does UPS consider it unsafe for their drivers to be out on the road? Regardless of how strong it's going to get. There are going to be some strong winds (sustained and gusts). It's not an issue of how much rain, it's an issue of wind, downed tree limbs, other businesses that close, etc.

How strong do the winds need to be before UPS pulls a driver off the road?

Right up to the point he has an accident he`s expected to work as directed and follow all safe driving procedures,etc. Right after the accident he be charged with an avoidable for not having the common sense to take safety procedures to get out of the storm and prevent an accident.

LKLND3380

It's only a catagory 1 and we are far enough inland that we would see a lot of rain and maybe a couple tornados... We know our HABITS and where to assemble in the event of a hurricane or tornado... We are notified by word of mouth... etc... etc... etc...

Last time they went around and got everyone's phone numbers and called to come in/not come in...

Mike Hawk

a853_bm.gif

IDoLessWorkThanMost

On topic: I think a state of emergency is where you don't have to work.

In 1991 we had a hurricane this way (they dont happen often) and a state of emergency was declared before the storm, so everything was closed that day.

If there's no state of emergency, UPS will probably work you. Will it be safe? Heck no. Where do you draw the line? What do you think?

The governer of FLorida has issued a state of emergency for at least a portion of Florida.

When this goes into effect, all non-emergency vehicles will not be permitted on the road.

Enjoy your mini vactaion and stay safe out there! (tropical storm, hurricane, whatever she eventually may be )

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPstate nyer tell us more your so smart.

What is your problem (other than your inability to spell, write, and form complete sentences)? It is a good thing for you that breathing is an involuntary function.

Your posts often make little or no sense and usually serve just to give the rest of us something to laugh at while discussing grown up stuff, which of course does not interest you.

I will do you a personal favor--if there is a thread that I know that you will be reading I will make sure to use little words so that even you can understand it.

Last edited by a moderator: