Hybrid hydraulic package cars

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Yes, I'm driving one. Yes, they are better IMHO than the electric. I'm pretty jazzed about them as I can deffinately see a major gas savings already. I don't want to say to much as these aren't in production mode yet but I can say I think this is the best attempt at a fuel/environmental package car to date that I've seen. I have actually had people comment on how quiet they are and get head turns from people with thier windows down. One guy actually thought I was stalled out at a light today. Cool things coming down the line.
image.jpg
image.jpg

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Re: Hybrid hydrolic package cars

wonder just what type of hydraulic fluid is used. Again, keep us posted. I am very interested. It is a gas engine?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Bout how many miles can u get in one if these and what happens if u run outta fuel.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

Bout how many miles can u get in one if these and what happens if u run outta fuel.
It uses a diesel engine, as the fuel cap indicates on the side of the vehicle to the public. This technology is currently used in garbage trucks around the country.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

They have diesel engines and are in service in Atlanta and Baltimore. The engine drives a pump that stores fluid at high pressure to drive the rear wheels instead of a conventional type transmission. The stop and go driving we do is excellent for this technology because slowing down and braking helps to recharge the system, if I am remembering right.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

They have diesel engines and are in service in Atlanta and Baltimore. The engine drives a pump that stores fluid at high pressure to drive the rear wheels instead of a conventional type transmission. The stop and go driving we do is excellent for this technology because slowing down and braking helps to recharge the system, if I am remembering right.
Spot on.

EasyTrucker

That's interesting considering the engineer said they are all hand made parts and we're the first hub he's trained mechanics and drivers in.

So that would tell you I work in one of those two areas.......interesting.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

How does the heater work? I ask this because if the engine isn't running how will the cab stay warm and the windows defrosted?

Nimnim

The Nim
Actually, in the warmer climates they like to use fans, which would have to be pulled since it could drain the battery while the engine isn't running.

Which makes me wonder if there could be issues with the lights draining when it's dark.

The article linked mentioned radios are the issue it's not in the consumer market because of battery drain, I'm sure the fan could be an adequate substitute to the reason in the hot areas.

S

serenity now

How does the heater work? I ask this because if the engine isn't running how will the cab stay warm and the windows defrosted?

no engineer by a long shot, but a hydraulic drive system (pumps and motors) will develop plenty of excess heat, which could be captured and used to heat a cab

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Couple things, when the hydraulic charge is in use, the heater definitely gets colder than when the engine is running. When it kicks back on you can feel the heat come back, not sure how this would play in the winter. Another thing they are working on is the miles aren't reporting when the hydraulic charge is in use, so I'm short about 20 miles a day. They say they are working on a fix atm though.