I am overwhelmed with gratitude right now...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
...because my dog has at least a little more time.

I have a 12 yr old Basset Hound. About 2 weeks ago, the whole left side of his face swelled up to twice its normal size. I took him to the vet, who said that his back tooth was abcessed and needed to be pulled. OK, no big deal...until the vet listened to his heart and, hearing a murmur, ordered X-rays and blood work. The tests showed that he has thyroid disease and his heart is enlarged 2x its normal size with a tumour on or in it. Putting him under anesthesia to remove the tooth would almost certainly kill him. So we put him on antibiotics and pain meds for a couple of weeks, with the understanding that if the tooth was still infected and painful we would go ahead and have it pulled. I would rather my dog die on the operating table than to have to live with a painful abcessed tooth. So today I took him in to have the tooth reevaluated and to schedule the dental surgery that he has almost no chance of surviving...and the vet said his tooth looks 100% better. No surgery needed. Now we can put him on about $100 a month worth of heart meds and maybe he will have a few more months of quality time to enjoy with us. He still enjoys his walks and like to run around in the back yard and play with our other dogs, so spending the money is worth it for now. Once he gets to the point where he isnt enjoying life any more then we will have to put him down, but for now at least its all systems go. Thank you God!

soberups

good story Sober..... you have any other dogs?

We have two others...a 17 yr old toy poodle and an 8 yr old beagle. We got the beagle from a rescue just recently to be a companion for our basset hound when the poodle dies. We didnt know at the time that our basset hound might die first.

My wife and I both work long hours and we dont have the time or energy to deal with a puppy. Plus, we dont want to support puppy mills. So what we do is adopt middle-aged dogs from rescues. Most of the time, a rescue dog is in foster care already, so you can talk to the caretaker about its disposition and medical history. A lot of these dogs are fully housebroken and trained, they just need a forever home. We have the ideal setup; a huge fenced backyard with a dog run and a doggy door leading into the house. Our dogs stay indoors while we are gone and sleep upon one of the three couches we have downstairs, or on the doggy bed by the woodstove. They can let themselves out thru the doggy door any time they want. And they have each other for companionship for the long periods of time that my wife and I are gone at work. The only downside to doing rescue dogs is that you dont have them as long and the time that you do have them is the most expensive in terms of vet bills. We have spent over $1000 at our vet in the last few weeks. Oh well, its worth it. When I have a crappy day at work, instead of coming home and getting drunk I come home and have one or two dogs on my lap :-)

moreluck

golden ticket member
I hope Rusty is comfortable.......just be there.

Dog's Ten Commandments #'s 9 &10 apply here.

1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from
    you will be painful for me. Remember that before you buy me.
  2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.
  3. Place your trust in me - it's crucial to my well-being.
  4. Don't be angry at me for long, and don't lock me up as
    punishment. You have your work, your entertainment, and your friends. I have
    only you.
  5. Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your words. I
    understand your voice when it's speaking to me.
  6. Be aware that however you treat me, I'll never forget
    it.
  7. Remember before you hit me that I have teeth that could easily
    crush
    the bones of your hand but that I choose not to bite you.
  8. Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or
    lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting
    the right food, or I've been out in the sun too long, or my heart is getting old
    and weak.
  9. Take care of me when I get old; you, too, will grow old.
  10. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say "I can't bear to
    watch
    it", or "Let it happen in my absence". Everything is easier for me if
    you are there. Remember, I love you.

Justaname

I hope Rusty is comfortable.......just be there.

Dog's Ten Commandments #'s 9 &10 apply here.

1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from
    you will be painful for me. Remember that before you buy me.
  2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.
  3. Place your trust in me - it's crucial to my well-being.
  4. Don't be angry at me for long, and don't lock me up as
    punishment. You have your work, your entertainment, and your friends. I have
    only you.
  5. Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your words. I
    understand your voice when it's speaking to me.
  6. Be aware that however you treat me, I'll never forget
    it.
  7. Remember before you hit me that I have teeth that could easily
    crush
    the bones of your hand but that I choose not to bite you.
  8. Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or
    lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting
    the right food, or I've been out in the sun too long, or my heart is getting old
    and weak.
  9. Take care of me when I get old; you, too, will grow old.
  10. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say "I can't bear to
    watch
    it", or "Let it happen in my absence". Everything is easier for me if
    you are there. Remember, I love you.

I love this and will show it to my fiancé. I've been enjoying quite a few of your posts lately!

I have a 12 yr old Basset Hound. About 2 weeks ago, the whole left side of his face swelled up to twice its normal size. I took him to the vet, who said that his back tooth was abcessed and needed to be pulled. OK, no big deal...until the vet listened to his heart and, hearing a murmur, ordered X-rays and blood work. The tests showed that he has thyroid disease and his heart is enlarged 2x its normal size with a tumour on or in it. Putting him under anesthesia to remove the tooth would almost certainly kill him. So we put him on antibiotics and pain meds for a couple of weeks, with the understanding that if the tooth was still infected and painful we would go ahead and have it pulled. I would rather my dog die on the operating table than to have to live with a painful abcessed tooth. So today I took him in to have the tooth reevaluated and to schedule the dental surgery that he has almost no chance of surviving...and the vet said his tooth looks 100% better. No surgery needed. Now we can put him on about $100 a month worth of heart meds and maybe he will have a few more months of quality time to enjoy with us. He still enjoys his walks and like to run around in the back yard and play with our other dogs, so spending the money is worth it for now. Once he gets to the point where he isnt enjoying life any more then we will have to put him down, but for now at least its all systems go. Thank you God!
Do me a favor brother. Please. Let him give you a kiss for me. God bless your soul sober. You are a real person and its good to know you are on this planet with me.

WESLA

It is what it is

Do me a favor brother. Please. Let him give you a kiss for me. God bless your soul sober. You are a real person and its good to know you are on this planet with me.
Righteous

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Thanks for sharing your story. It sounds like your pups have their own heaven on earth.
Bless you & your wife for taking in those dogs. They all deserve to be loved, & they return it ten fold.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Very happy for you Soberups,,you have great compassion and are a loyal friend to that dog... my yellow lab Blondie is just about 13 and rapidly slowing as each week goes by and I am spending as much time as I can with her. every day she wakes up is a blessing,,,good luck friend !!

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
As I read this, I'm petting my 15 yr. old, blind and deaf Cosmo (guess I just gave up my screen name) while my 9 yr. old Lucy is watching and waiting her turn.

Gotta love your doggies!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Dogs are the best, I lost my Tiki Belle almost 2 months ago, its so hard. So I do understand the sacredness of spending all the time you can when you know the end is close. Embrace it because as you know, the end is a real punch in the gut.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Very happy for you Soberups,,you have great compassion and are a loyal friend to that dog... my yellow lab Blondie is just about 13 and rapidly slowing as each week goes by and I am spending as much time as I can with her. every day she wakes up is a blessing,,,good luck friend !!
Same here with my good 'ole boy Mason. Can see him getting older the last couple months. Making the last of his time with us his best years.

soberups

Rusty
2001--Sept. 29, 2013

He was the "bestest" and "most awesomest" dog in the world, and right now there is a hole in my heart that feels like it will never heal. RIP buddy, you are in a better place now and you aren't sick and in pain any longer.

null_zps8cd3c8db.jpg

null_zps11aeb592.jpg

null_zps8cf8ae6e.jpg

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Beautiful tribute.
My first baby is in heaven and makes a habit of waiting at the gate on the anniversary of his last days with me.
He's there waiting today.

Go in peace and remember God arranged dog to be God spelled backward.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
SOBERUPS ........................ very sorry to see you put dog down.... I know how very very hard it was to do !! I can see what that dog meant you and with time it gets better ! I put down my Blondie in mid July because I knew the heat would be to much for her... It was one of the worst days in my life. So I feel for you !! You did what you had to do!! Great looking dog you had there!!!!

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
VERY sorry for your loss.
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. ~Josh Billings

InsideUPS

Rusty
2001--Sept. 29, 2013

He was the "bestest" and "most awesomest" dog in the world, and right now there is a hole in my heart that feels like it will never heal. RIP buddy, you are in a better place now and you aren't sick and in pain any longer.

null_zps8cd3c8db.jpg

null_zps11aeb592.jpg

null_zps8cf8ae6e.jpg

Soberups....so very.....very... sorry for your recent loss of Rusty. As one dog lover to another.....I totally understand how you feel. I had to put my Golden down April 13th, 2012 with lymphoma. I am now dealing with my Black Lab that has incurable "Wobblers Syndrome" ( a disease of the spinal cord that eventually leads to total immobility).

The loss of your friend means many things..........to me the loss of my Golden was the end of an era as she (Sunny) was a major part of my children's lives.

Once again..... may Rusty rest in peace in doggy heaven..... It is a kind but difficult thing we must do for our canine close friends.