I backed in to a mailbox today....

Jbo505

First time poster here. My on road had me work in Santa Fe today and they ended up putting me in a rental. I passed my packet about two weeks ago as a TCD. The rental didn't have a back up camera and the area I made the mistake of pulling in to was tight, but that is no excuse and I just messed up. Ended up bumping in to a mailbox and now it's leaning slighty. I'm going to tell my supervisor tomorrow and I know there's a good chance I'll lose my job but I figured I would post on here and see if anyone has had a similar experience. And for anyone that has seen this before, how likely do you think it is that they will terminate me?

Jbo505

most definitely what I should have done. I was not thinking straight in the moment. I appreciate the feedback nonetheless

freehoodies

First time poster here. My on road had me work in Santa Fe today and they ended up putting me in a rental. I passed my packet about two weeks ago as a TCD. The rental didn't have a back up camera and the area I made the mistake of pulling in to was tight, but that is no excuse and I just messed up. Ended up bumping in to a mailbox and now it's leaning slighty. I'm going to tell my supervisor tomorrow and I know there's a good chance I'll lose my job but I figured I would post on here and see if anyone has had a similar experience. And for anyone that has seen this before, how likely do you think it is that they will terminate me?
You should have called it into the center as soon as it happened.

Since you are just two weeks off your packet I would hope that they cut you a little slack. Its not like they explain in detail what you are supposed to do if you bump something/get into an accident. It should be fairly obvious that you call a manager/the center though.

But imagine someone else smashes into that mailbox tonight, and when they go to check it out tomorrow it looks like you destroyed the thing. Or if the owner finds it, gets all pissed off and makes it look worse than it was to try to get a payday. Thats why if something happens you let someone know and get pictures asap. Lots of drivers have backed into :censored2: and kept their jobs. Just dont do it more than twice in a year or something like that.

Jbo505

You should have called it into the center as soon as it happened.

Since you are just two weeks off your packet I would hope that they cut you a little slack. Its not like they explain in detail what you are supposed to do if you bump something/get into an accident. It should be fairly obvious that you call a manager/the center though.

But imagine someone else smashes into that mailbox tonight, and when they go to check it out tomorrow it looks like you destroyed the thing. Or if the owner finds it, gets all pissed off and makes it look worse than it was to try to get a payday. Thats why if something happens you let someone know and get pictures asap. Lots of drivers have backed into :censored2: and kept their jobs. Just dont do it more than twice in a year or something like
Thank you for the reply. You've given me a sliver of hope. I might actually be able to get some sleep tonight! 🤣

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Just blame the FedEx ground or Amazon guy, good chance they’ve smoked the same mailbox. Unless the customer has you on camera, you’re good. Plus most rental trucks here are beat to Sh*%, wouldn’t notice a mailbox 📫 mark on it .

robot

Has A Large Member
Why didn’t you just tell him when it happened?

might as well not even mention it cause you’re probably toast

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Grab a shop steward as soon as you get to work tomorrow. Explain to them what happened and go forward from there.

Whither

Scofflaw
@Jbo505 Last summer a 22.4 in my center grazed a large dumpster outside of a business. Happened about one week after he qualified. Dumpster only got a spot coating of brown paint, and the business wasn't concerned, but the pkg car had a couple dents and scratches down to bare metal. He didn't report it. Supes were out doing observations and easily noticed the damage. They called him into the office the next morning. He admitted it and was fired. The operation was drowning in packages then, so he was lucky to get reinstated at locals (instead of having to fight for his job at panel). I remember the labor manager noted the company was willing to be gracious because the business saw no need to file a claim over the dumpster, so the only damage was to the pkg car ... in your case the homeowner may feel differently ...

I second @MyTripisCut's advice and will add -- if you have the stew's number, call and give them a head's up before you leave for work this morning.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
My first year I knocked a mailbox down, I left a note and reported it when I got back, they paid the homeowners 90 bucks. The center manager busted my balls for a day or so but no big deal.
You should have reported it immediately.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

I hope that your avatar is not a selfie. If it is confess your guts out and pray for forgiveness.

What degree was the mailbox tilting?

You should of straighten it and tamped it down, no harm ... no foul.

Rookies..🥺

Jbo505

I hope that your avatar is not a selfie. If it is confess your guts out and pray for forgiveness.

What degree was the mailbox tilting?

You should of straighten it and tamped it down, no harm ... no foul.

Rookies..🥺
The avatar is not a selfie. I am not Tyler, The Creator believe it or not. That’s a good idea until they get it on video 🥴

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
It really depends on the mood of management.
You should report something like this right away. did you take a picture?

If no harm other than just leaning maybe they will think no foul.

Also it depends on supply and demand of drivers. This time of year they may need drivers badly and you will get simple discipline.

good luck and check back on what happens .

Upass.

Dude , you are gone. You should have reported it immediately. By the way , Amazon is hiring and those vans have back up cameras 📷

SandSpida

I did the same thing 3 years ago. In a rental on a Saturday, knocked a MB that was bungee corded together. This thing looked like it was the most popular MB for MB baseball. Never said a thing and no one reported it. Don’t put your head on a platter.