I blew my road test... badly.

BrownTruckWannabe

Hello everyone, I'm a 26 year old college grad. For some crazy reason decided I would rather break my back than sit in front of a desk all day.

I applied as a seasonal driver, but that didn't go so well. I really wasn't expecting to get thrown behind the wheel right away. Man was it nerve-wracking. I probably should have asked if I could drive it around the facility a couple more times before leaving just to get a little more comfortable with it. I've driven a couple U-Hauls before, thought maybe it would be similar.. nope. I wasn't doing to bad at first. I searched around on here before the test to get an idea what to expect, and unlike a lot of people, I didn't have any trouble shifting or anything. The clutch was easier to use than the one in my car, and after I was told to forget about first gear, man did it become easier.

Biggest problem was getting used to the width. That and calming the hell down, I was a nervous wreck. I got a couple demerits for driving too close to the white line. Harder than I thought to keep the thing in a straight line. Started getting the hang of it and finally got some a little confidence and I vocalize that, but then the guy says "yea, you are shifting good but I'm more worried about you staying in your lane!" This was after I already had corrected it. Can't blame it on him, but there went my confidence. Got on the highway, that went pretty well. Got off the highway and turned into a shopping plaza. As I'm about to merge onto another road in the plaza, the traffic going straight had a stop sign, I was coming from the right and didn't have one. There was a car at the stop sign and when we were just about to merge the guy goes. We each had our own lane, but from my perspective it looked like he was going to hit me, so I freaked out and took it into the curb. I was so disappointed in myself, I scratched up the front wheel and both the front and back tire sidewalls got damaged. I felt so bad, I thought there goes my shot at ever driving here again.

Anyway I was shocked that they offered me an inside position. I'm going to do part time preload 4am - 9am. Definitely not as fun, but it's permanent and comes with benefits so I'll live with the $7 an hour lower pay for now. In a way it kind of puts me ahead because that was probably where I would end up after the peak anyway. I was told that I would probably get another shot at driving once I hit seniority, but do you guys think they will really let me behind the wheel again after an accident like that? I mean I know it would have been worse if I hit a car, but they might have to replace those brand new tires because of me. I just love the road and I don't mind working my ass off for 4+ years to get there, but do I honestly, realistically have any chance of that? Also if anyone here started out a preload and made it to full time driver, how long did it take you? I'm not trying to rush thing I'm absolutely willing to work for it, just trying to get an idea what I'm getting myself into.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
It isn't that bad from what I see.

th
th
th

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
If you've driven a U-Haul, you should of been used to the blind spots on the truck.
UPS trucks have the backing camera so they are actually easier to maneuver.
Most people aren't used to the length and end up hitting the curb on a right turn. In a full truck, YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT lol.

When you get the chance, sign up for Saturday air.
Your second road test will be easier to you and you gain a lot of experience in delivery AND driving.

BrownTruckWannabe

A better mindset may be to take your time, don't put yourself in a position where anyone can hit you, and control the vehicle and the situation.
Yea you are right, I know I cant blame the supervisor for my fail, but it didn't help that I was trying to slow down and be careful around the turn before the merge the guy kept saying "keep going, keep going!" This guy did not help my nerves at all.

So this won't disqualify me in the future for driving positions?

CanOSup

One of them
Yea you are right, I know I cant blame the supervisor for my fail, but it didn't help that I was trying to slow down and be careful around the turn before the merge the guy kept saying "keep going, keep going!" This guy did not help my nerves at all.

Sounds to me if the Supervisor is reinforcing you saying "keep going" you probably were overly cautious and driving with a lot of hesitation which could be confusing for other drivers on the road.

MyTripisCut said it right. Controlling the situation doesn't mean crawling around at 5mph.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
"Act as if"...you are not nervous, that you are confident, prepared, etc.

I wasn't great on my road test, but pretty good - however I acted as though I knew what I was doing and could do it really well, even if I wasn't that great in the moment. I showed off a little at the end, when the on-road asked me to back into a spot on the car lineup in the building. I just barely kissed the bumper to the dock. He jokingly said "I didn't want you to hit it!! But nice control.."

It is a matter of practicing and doing it, but also a confidence in yourself and not being rattled when a little thing goes wrong.

john chesney

Hello everyone, I'm a 26 year old college grad. For some crazy reason decided I would rather break my back than sit in front of a desk all day.

I applied as a seasonal driver, but that didn't go so well. I really wasn't expecting to get thrown behind the wheel right away. Man was it nerve-wracking. I probably should have asked if I could drive it around the facility a couple more times before leaving just to get a little more comfortable with it. I've driven a couple U-Hauls before, thought maybe it would be similar.. nope. I wasn't doing to bad at first. I searched around on here before the test to get an idea what to expect, and unlike a lot of people, I didn't have any trouble shifting or anything. The clutch was easier to use than the one in my car, and after I was told to forget about first gear, man did it become easier.

Biggest problem was getting used to the width. That and calming the hell down, I was a nervous wreck. I got a couple demerits for driving too close to the white line. Harder than I thought to keep the thing in a straight line. Started getting the hang of it and finally got some a little confidence and I vocalize that, but then the guy says "yea, you are shifting good but I'm more worried about you staying in your lane!" This was after I already had corrected it. Can't blame it on him, but there went my confidence. Got on the highway, that went pretty well. Got off the highway and turned into a shopping plaza. As I'm about to merge onto another road in the plaza, the traffic going straight had a stop sign, I was coming from the right and didn't have one. There was a car at the stop sign and when we were just about to merge the guy goes. We each had our own lane, but from my perspective it looked like he was going to hit me, so I freaked out and took it into the curb. I was so disappointed in myself, I scratched up the front wheel and both the front and back tire sidewalls got damaged. I felt so bad, I thought there goes my shot at ever driving here again.

Anyway I was shocked that they offered me an inside position. I'm going to do part time preload 4am - 9am. Definitely not as fun, but it's permanent and comes with benefits so I'll live with the $7 an hour lower pay for now. In a way it kind of puts me ahead because that was probably where I would end up after the peak anyway. I was told that I would probably get another shot at driving once I hit seniority, but do you guys think they will really let me behind the wheel again after an accident like that? I mean I know it would have been worse if I hit a car, but they might have to replace those brand new tires because of me. I just love the road and I don't mind working my ass off for 4+ years to get there, but do I honestly, realistically have any chance of that? Also if anyone here started out a preload and made it to full time driver, how long did it take you? I'm not trying to rush thing I'm absolutely willing to work for it, just trying to get an idea what I'm getting myself into.
Do the inside job. Wait for your next opportunity and try again. We had a guy at our center fail 4 different times. He drove down the sidewalk and the supervisor thought he was going to die lol on the busiest street in front of the mall. Maybe rent a uhaul the same size or find someone with a truck and practice. I think it's just your nerves. I find my truck easier to drive then my car but I have a nice new one and been doing it for 30 years.You will get another shot at it don't worry

john chesney

This does not disqualify you from future driving jobs.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would be willing to bet that the "26 year old college graduate" thought that he would have no problem doing our job as "any maroon with a drivers license" can drive a truck.

So much for that theory, college boy.