I disagree with the practice of using your personal cell phone for business purposes.

Integrity

Binge Poster
For discussion: The use of personal cell phones for business purposes.

This is wide spread practice.

There are many views that try to justify this practice.

I believe an argument can be made that this practice violates the contract.

Some might view this as a side deal of sorts.

I also believe that a strong argument can be made that allowing employees to use their personal cell phones for business purposes without reimbursing them is a violation of UPS Policy.

I thank you in advance for your participation in this discussion.

Sincerely,
I

UPSGUY72

No one forces you to use your cell phone.

You can always go find a pay phone, ask to use a customers phone or use the DIAD.

stink219

I am totally against it unless UPS was willing pay for a phone. We have drivers that do not bring their cells into work at all (maybe they just say that). Its not a condition of employment. We have a DIAD for contacting us. We have even had harassment grievances on the table due to sups and managers calling drivers. To elaborate, if they discuss anything about discipline its a violation of their Weingarten rights for not having a steward present. We eliminated the practice of management calling drivers all together.

Re: I disagree with the practice of using your personal cell phone for business purpo

For discussion: The use of personal cell phones for business purposes.

This is wide spread practice.

There are many views that try to justify this practice.

I believe an argument can be made that this practice violates the contract.

Some might view this as a side deal of sorts.

I also believe that a strong argument can be made that allowing employees to use their personal cell phones for business purposes without reimbursing them is a violation of UPS Policy.

I thank you in advance for your participation in this discussion.

Sincerely,
I
Being a steward you need to use your phone for business purposes and I write it off on my taxes every year.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Re: I disagree with the practice of using your personal cell phone for business purpo

Bored???

To paraphrase the biblical text,
If you don't think something is right, don't do it.
Otherwise, it's none of your business.

Paul of Taurus

S

splozi

Should UPS reimburse you for "hydrating" on the job? Water costs money, unless you fill your jug at a nearby pond.

Requiring a phone is one thing. I don't believe it's required. One can use their phone as they see fit.

Cementups

Box Monkey

This is going to sound crazy, but..

IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT THEN DON'T DO IT!!!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

Yea, I use it to make my job easier when I feel like it. I get 25% off my bill because I work there, so if I need to use it for business, I do, if it benefits me.
Once someone called to yell at me about production, and I told them to lose my number, come out now and talk to me, or talk to me when I come in. Do not distract me at this time. Im working and need to focus on today, not yesterday.
I also like to make my own arrangements for meets. Late air, misloads etc. Because no matter how much they pay me, I want to get to my favorite stop, HOME.

I use it as a COURTESY. When the courtesy is not returned then neither are their calls.

stink219

Should UPS reimburse you for "hydrating" on the job? Water costs money, unless you fill your jug at a nearby pond.

Requiring a phone is one thing. I don't believe it's required. One can use their phone as they see fit.
I deliver to OSHA, they seem to think UPS should provide water. They are in talks with all delivery companies to provide bottled water. It's mandatory on construction sites and other labor shops.

stink219

Yea, I use it to make my job easier when I feel like it. I get 25% off my bill because I work there, so if I need to use it for business, I do, if it benefits me.
Once someone called to yell at me about production, and I told them to lose my number, come out now and talk to me, or talk to me when I come in. Do not distract me at this time. Im working and need to focus on today, not yesterday.
I also like to make my own arrangements for meets. Late air, misloads etc. Because no matter how much they pay me, I want to get to my favorite stop, HOME.
That's a labor board charge. Complete violation of your weingarten rights.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

That's a labor board charge. Complete violation of your weingarten rights.
YUP, BUT he was unaware of article 37.1 also, so I showed it to him............I guess unlike the IRS, ignorance of the law is an excuse, So far not a peep, and I would like to keep it that way. I tell everyone who is being harrassed to mention it also. And there have been several grievances for harrassment because of it. Our building is a shambles. Im off for three weeks, maybe by the time I get back it will be fixed, ROFLMAO.

I deliver to OSHA, they seem to think UPS should provide water. They are in talks with all delivery companies to provide bottled water. It's mandatory on construction sites and other labor shops.

We have a 53' reefer at each end of the building full of water. They go and get another load every few days.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Does the company pay for mgmnts phones?

In our center they have a couple of basic cell phones that the on-cars use. The PDS and center manager use their own personal cell phones for business.

The argument that my decision to use my personal cell phone for company business could be a violation of the contract and/or a extra contractual agreement is ludicrous. I have never been told that I have to use my personal cell phone for company business--I choose to do so as it benefits me. The 22% discount more than pays for the minutes I use for company business.

DS

Fenderbender

Btw, great topic!!

I myself was one of those that disagreed with this practice.
Till I got a cell phone.Yes I it it wide spread,I have no intention
of trying to justify it.If it violates ups policy,then it's an unenforced one.

One place I draw the line is the "call us from the railyard". Ok, fine. But place me on hold for more than two minutes and I hang up and wait five more before I'll call back.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

Not a big deal to me. When I first got one, I never gave out my number. But I was a driver that called in requiring help whenever it was needed. So most times it was a benefit to me. But if a a sup was pissing me off, I simply ignored the call. Or if I knew they wanted me to do something extra (and you tend to know), somehow, the call went straight to voice mail. But just to show I wasn't rude, I would always return those calls...when I got home.