I disagree with the practice of using your personal cell phone for business purposes.

U

uber

Re: I disagree with the practice of using your personal cell phone for business purpo

Its 7am on a Saturday morning guys. Lets wake up, hop on the internet, go to a message board related to work and act like a know-it-all.

Yeah! Thats it!

Indecisi0n

Re: I disagree with the practice of using your personal cell phone for business purpo

know-it-all.jpg

Packmule

Diad is too slow. I'm not going to tie up a customer's phone--especially in a residential area, and while it isn't nearly enough, UPS does get us a discount on phones and service plans through UPSer.com.
As a side note, if we ever asked them to pay part of the bill, they'd start regulating it or stick telematics in it!
Not sure what the answer is, but communication is critical on my route--especially in winter--and I don't intend to compromise that because some died in the wool union boy likes conflict more than he likes taking care of customers.

stink219

Not sure what the answer is, but communication is critical on my route--especially in winter--and I don't intend to compromise that because some died in the wool union boy likes conflict more than he likes taking care of customers.
Can you please elaborate on how critical the communication must be on your route?

Indecisi0n

I love when they message me "Call the office." lol

outta hours

My experience with the people using their personal phone for UPS business, is that they are often they same people who also rationalize skipping lunch, working before start time, calling pickups instead of going by,etc. The bottom line is why would you ever use something you pay for, that is not furnished to you by your employer to do work for the employer? There is no good answer. UPS created a system the DIAD to communicate with its drivers. They designed it and chose the method by which they contact you. And its the method for misloads, meetpoints, etc. Use the tools they provide you to do the job. It is the company's responsibility to provide you what you need to do it. Not yours or mine.

UPS made $1.12 BILLION dollars in profits in the last 3 months. If they needed or wanted you to have a phone to do your job they could afford to provide you with one. They have spent millions and millions on telematics, ORION, EDD,PAS,etc. In order to assist you in doing your job the way they want it done. So the money is there to provide a phone for work use during the day. You could turn it in each night like the DIAD. Easy to implement. But why would they?You using your phone saves them money, and time which is also money. How foolish can you be? There is no way to justify spending your own money to assist in performing job related functions.

The " I get a phone discount so I don't mind using it for work" argument is laughable. Using that logic then rent a car from Avis and do some deliveries out of it on your own time. Its no big deal right? You get an employee discount. Or take a flight on Lufthansa to Europe but don't take a suitcase. Load up some packages and "help out" the company. After all you get an employee discount on the flight right? There is no good reason to do the wrong thing. Even worse is the me first attitude of" I will use my phone when it helps me". That blurs the line of what is to be expected.It sends the wrong message. Using it sometimes then crying when your sup calls you to go help is your own fault. If you never use it , you will never have that problem.

People have been written up for things that have occurred on phone calls made with their personal phones. So keep calling and texting your supervisor. After all this job is not about doing things the right way . Its not about following the contract. Or doing the job the way you are paid to do it. Its about whats easiest and most convenient for YOU. In case I forget that I will be reminded daily by the selfish actions of so many of you. A very few of which I have listed here today. Grow up, grow a pair, and do the right thing regardless if its easy or not. It is in the simplest of terms, what you are paid to do.

Integrity

Binge Poster

My experience with the people using their personal phone for UPS business, is that they are often they same people who also rationalize skipping lunch, working before start time, calling pickups instead of going by,etc. The bottom line is why would you ever use something you pay for, that is not furnished to you by your employer to do work for the employer? There is no good answer. UPS created a system the DIAD to communicate with its drivers. They designed it and chose the method by which they contact you. And its the method for misloads, meetpoints, etc. Use the tools they provide you to do the job. It is the company's responsibility to provide you what you need to do it. Not yours or mine.

UPS made $1.12 BILLION dollars in profits in the last 3 months. If they needed or wanted you to have a phone to do your job they could afford to provide you with one. They have spent millions and millions on telematics, ORION, EDD,PAS,etc. In order to assist you in doing your job the way they want it done. So the money is there to provide a phone for work use during the day. You could turn it in each night like the DIAD. Easy to implement. But why would they?You using your phone saves them money, and time which is also money. How foolish can you be? There is no way to justify spending your own money to assist in performing job related functions.

The " I get a phone discount so I don't mind using it for work" argument is laughable. Using that logic then rent a car from Avis and do some deliveries out of it on your own time. Its no big deal right? You get an employee discount. Or take a flight on Lufthansa to Europe but don't take a suitcase. Load up some packages and "help out" the company. After all you get an employee discount on the flight right? There is no good reason to do the wrong thing. Even worse is the me first attitude of" I will use my phone when it helps me". That blurs the line of what is to be expected.It sends the wrong message. Using it sometimes then crying when your sup calls you to go help is your own fault. If you never use it , you will never have that problem.

People have been written up for things that have occurred on phone calls made with their personal phones. So keep calling and texting your supervisor. After all this job is not about doing things the right way . Its not about following the contract. Or doing the job the way you are paid to do it. Its about whats easiest and most convenient for YOU. In case I forget that I will be reminded daily by the selfish actions of so many of you. A very few of which I have listed here today. Grow up, grow a pair, and do the right thing regardless if its easy or not. It is in the simplest of terms, what you are paid to do.
outta hours,

Thanks for your participation.

This is by far the best post in this discussion thread. No offense to all participants.

I couldn't have said it any better.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,
I

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

You make some excellent points, HMPHH I never thought of it that way. I might have to rethink what I do. Thanks for the input.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Funny, because yesterday I saw one centers lead steward yapping on his phone, one hand on the wheel on the ride back to the building. I bet he was on phone with sups making golf plans. Anyone else would have been at least disciplined or terminated, and that steward would have sat in the office nodding his head. UPS and the union are so full of it, best to ignore it all.

moreluck

golden ticket member

A mobile phone device.
Here is a picture of mine.

22mages.jpg

I know that's a joke, but when I was in real estate in the late 80's, I actually had that Motorola Monster !
Try driving, smoking, drinking coffee and talking on that brick.....talk about multi-tasking !!!

Haven't had a cell phone since.............when I leave somewhere, it's about getting away!

texan

I disagree fully, yet this a trend that comes with pressure from Corporations in
this modern world. I myself am sort of frowned on that I do not use one.

Yet for a driver, on the road needing immediate help.... What does one do?

Here is an article:
Like it or Not, BYOD is Here to Stay

Bring your own device to work (BYOD) shows no signs of going away in the corporate world, despite
security concerns, a new survey shows. But heavy-handed efforts by corporations to shore up security
by using mobile device management software are encountering pushback from IT professionals — the
very ones tasked with securing corporate data.

Read more: Like it or Not, BYOD is Here to Stay | Fox Small Business Center

S

speeddemon

Caller ID. Use it.

Packmule

UPS provides no way for a customer to contact me without a serious loss of time going through the clerk at the building. Often times, meeting a customer requires good timing and that only happens with instant contact. When it happens, not only can this save me miles, (which takes a lot of stress out of the day) but keeps me out of bad roads, especially in winter.
Given that a lot of these people are my friends, too, the same phone has opened doors to get out hunting on private land no one else would be allowed to set foot on. Love to have a company phone--just so mine doesn't get full of dust. Until that happens, my being slightly flexible here is very advantageous.

Chnandler Bong

I use MY cellphone as I see fit. As far as I know, neither the company nor the union can tell me to do otherwise as long as I'm not doing it while driving or making personal calls on company time. That being said, I use my phone for work purposes when it benefits ME.

I fully understand why some drivers vow to never do anything helpful for the company, because it's not appreciated and usually results in more stops or route cutting. I get it. But I also know that this job is just that. A JOB. It's what we do to pay the bills and support our families. What good does it do me to milk every last dime from my employer if I'm not home of an evening to spend time with my family? Missing ball games? School functions?

If I can call another driver to set up a meet rather than waiting on Diad messages, I am going to. End of story. The extra 15 minutes of OT that I make isn't worth missing the last couple innings of my kids' ballgame. On days where I have nothing planned, then I don't need to....but it's my choice. I appreciate the hourly wage the union affords me, but money isn't everything in life.

I hope this doesn't come off as me being upset with those who choose not to use them. This is simply how I choose to use mine, and I respect others opinions on how to use theirs.