I disagree with the practice of using your personal cell phone for business purposes.

HULKAMANIA

Re: I disagree with the practice of using your personal cell phone for business purpo

Guys Guys Guys----If you dont bring your phone to work how in the world are you suppose to get the hotties number that you just delivered to??? You gotta think outside the BOX-Literally and figuratively LOL.

upsman68

Re: I disagree with the practice of using your personal cell phone for business purpo

I use MY cellphone as I see fit. As far as I know, neither the company nor the union can tell me to do otherwise as long as I'm not doing it while driving or making personal calls on company time. That being said, I use my phone for work purposes when it benefits ME.

I fully understand why some drivers vow to never do anything helpful for the company, because it's not appreciated and usually results in more stops or route cutting. I get it. But I also know that this job is just that. A JOB. It's what we do to pay the bills and support our families. What good does it do me to milk every last dime from my employer if I'm not home of an evening to spend time with my family? Missing ball games? School functions?

If I can call another driver to set up a meet rather than waiting on Diad messages, I am going to. End of story. The extra 15 minutes of OT that I make isn't worth missing the last couple innings of my kids' ballgame. On days where I have nothing planned, then I don't need to....but it's my choice. I appreciate the hourly wage the union affords me, but money isn't everything in life.

I hope this doesn't come off as me being upset with those who choose not to use them. This is simply how I choose to use mine, and I respect others opinions on how to use theirs.

Amen brother

DS

Fenderbender

outta hours,

Thanks for your participation.

This is by far the best post in this discussion thread. No offense to all participants.

I couldn't have said it any better.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,
I
OK so Integ,Now that you finally got the answer you want,and feeling slightly offended that every other post in your thread was just fodder for this response,Should I just delete the thread?,or maybe see if anyone else may know more than the both of us.
should I

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Should the company provide us a phone for business purposes. Yes. Should I use my phone for business purposes. No. Do I care either way. Not in the least.

tourists24

That's not a libertarian in this case. No different than dumping chemicals into a river, and screwing the persons downstream water.
What? I dont see the connection. It is a libertarian statement he made in that if you arent infringing on someone else's rights (or vice versa) then it is none of your business to stick your nose in it. Do the right thing and you are fine. How is using your cell phone infringing on someone else's rights? confused I guess how that is like dumping chemicals and infringing on the health of others

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

Here is a question? How many phone numbers do you know? If you would lose your cell, what would you do if you had to call someone?

UnconTROLLed

perfection

What? I dont see the connection. It is a libertarian statement he made in that if you arent infringing on someone else's rights (or vice versa) then it is none of your business to stick your nose in it. Do the right thing and you are fine. How is using your cell phone infringing on someone else's rights? confused I guess how that is like dumping chemicals and infringing on the health of others
A bi-product of your actions will inevitably affect others. Is it "libertarian" (as your definition would play) for me to walk into a UPS package car or feeder tractor and start playing around, or moving packages around?

In your definition it would be - since it's none of your business to stick your nose in what I'm doing. In my definition that is not libertarian, since by my own actions I am indirectly negatively affecting you, and your job.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!

I don't own a cell phone and I have had to disable my message system on my house phone. I deliver on a rural satellite route and people would be calling me all day or leaving messages on my home phone. I live on my delivey area and people don't understand that unless they call UPS for a p/u, I have no way to show my time. Its bad enough going somewhere to deliver and a customer has left word that they need me to come by get an package. You get there and it is an ARS printer cartridge or something like that. If you don't go by and get it, then they think you are rude. I even have people come to my house and drop off packages.

I owned a cell phone for just a couple of months while my wife was undergoing cancer treatments in case she needed to get hold of me. After she passed away, the cell phone was a distant memory.

The center will send me a mesage to call in ASAP. There are no pay phones at all on my route and I am not going to ask a residential customer for use of their phone. If UPS wants me to have a phone to use, they are going to have to supply me with one.

I don't feel like I am missing out on anything by not owning a cell phone. I understand why people own one or choose to own one but as long as I own a land line, I never forsee myself owning one. To me they are a convienience not a necessity.

Last edited:

HomeDelivery

I had to use my phone 2x on Saturday...

one to verify a new street is by Victory Lane or W. Red Bank Ave...

another to use my digital camera to take a pic of a DR. customer left a note on the front door wanting me to release a 36" flatscreen TV on the side porch. I scanned the box, placed as directed, scan a tag & slapped it over the note.:smart:

tourists24

A bi-product of your actions will inevitably affect others. Is it "libertarian" (as your definition would play) for me to walk into a UPS package car or feeder tractor and start playing around, or moving packages around?

In your definition it would be - since it's none of your business to stick your nose in what I'm doing. In my definition that is not libertarian, since by my own actions I am indirectly negatively affecting you, and your job.
again I fail to see the connection of cell phone use and dumping chemicals. If dumping chemicals affects my health then you have violated my rights.... using a cell phone for business is not violating the contract in and of itself and is not violating my rights.... It may be a case of not being a good union worker? but I still dont see how those two are related....

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

I use the DIAD for most communication with the center, but on an exception basis I will use my cell phone under unusual or urgent circumstances. There are situations when immediate verbal communication is simply in everyone's best interest.

I do not give my cell phone number out to customers. I do not call pickup accounts and ask if they are shipping anything; they are paying for us to show up every day and that is the service I am paid to give them. In the interest of safety I do make exceptions to this rule under severe weather conditions. I do not call customers ahead of time with COD information. I do not generally do address corrections with my phone, but in the case of Next Day Air packages or packages that I know to be medication I will bend that rule and call the customer if the apartment number is missing and their phone number is on the package.

I agree that for the most part we should not be using our personal phones for company business, but there are a number of common sense exceptions to this rule and I really dont see any problem with using them on a limited basis.

Buck Fifty

Here is a question? How many phone numbers do you know? If you would lose your cell, what would you do if you had to call someone?

I could only call 3 people. Wife and 2 kids that is all ! everybody else would be SOL.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Another to use my digital camera to take a pic of a DR. customer left a note on the front door wanting me to release a 36" flatscreen TV on the side porch. I scanned the box, placed as directed, scan a tag & slapped it over the note.:smart:

The only thing I would have done differently is taken down the note.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Outta hours, with all due respect, I use my cell phone on the job BECAUSE I CHOOSE TO! (not yelling, emphasizing) and each one of us has the CHOICE. It is not a violation of the contract, You and others may not see the sense, but to each his own.

I hate slippery slope arguments, and thats what this is, because in the end cell phones are a judgement call, personal preference. However, some fear you give UPS a little, they'll try and take more. let them, but let them TRY. And then, say "No, I will not agree in my contract that I be required to use my cell phone without compensation. I reserve that right to say NO!" There ends the slippery slope. In the meantime, i may end up $7.00 lighter in the pocket at the end of the year for using mine (I have an unlimited plan, so i don't really know how to quantify just how much i "give" to UPS in this regard), but I'll be happy.

The nonsense of 'But if you use your phone they'll expect ME to!' is nonense! SO WHAT? Tell them no! What can they do? What will they say? In the grand scheme, nothing, so long as it is not part of the contract. Outside that, it is a COURTESY I can CHOOSE to not to do, and that can be respected.

'B-but, he finishes faster than he should, and they expect ME to do it!' Nevermind most of you who feel this way have showed much...indignance to the metrics they use, if you are really tired of it, ask for an OJS! Let them see how you are working. Ask for a ride; one of you (the driver or the sup/mgr) will come to a realization about your skills, and one way or the other they will leave you alone.

Don't want the 'harrasment' of an OJS ride? Don't see why should you? Neither have I been shown valid reason why i can't waste my hard-earned minutes to shorten my day so another driver isn't 'harrased'. I'd rather spend the time with my daughter, my wife, my congregation, ANYWHERE but in a package car because someone doesn't want to tell a supe NO, so gets mad at me for making a personal decison.