I Got a Raise!!

vantexan

How did that happen?
Left in 2013. Came back in 2014. They changed the rules on getting old pay back but still have a policy that allows rehiring at previous percentage of pay range in areas where they're having difficulty finding qualified candidates. The remote town in AZ qualified, they had gone more than 6 months running it from 125 miles away. Mgr told me that I couldn't get old pay back, and HR said I had already signed offer letter so locked into starting pay. Funny how they say offer letters aren't a guarantee of employment, but hold us to their terms.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Left in 2013. Came back in 2014. They changed the rules on getting old pay back but still have a policy that allows rehiring at previous percentage of pay range in areas where they're having difficulty finding qualified candidates. The remote town in AZ qualified, they had gone more than 6 months running it from 125 miles away. Mgr told me that I couldn't get old pay back, and HR said I had already signed offer letter so locked into starting pay. Funny how they say offer letters aren't a guarantee of employment, but hold us to their terms.

Why did you sign the offer letter if you didn't agree with the terms?

vantexan

Maybe, but he still signed the letter and it sounds like he heard out about whatever the deal was long after he signed. I doubt it's retroactive.
I found out from HR 3 days after I signed offer letter that under those circumstances I could have gotten my previous percentage of range back, but too late, I had already signed offer letter. Station hiring mgr and my mgr told me there was no way to get my previous pay back and hiring mgr said "and you definitely can't get your previous percentage of range back." I've seen the policy, could have.

outtatime

I found out from HR 3 days after I signed offer letter that under those circumstances I could have gotten my previous percentage of range back, but too late, I had already signed offer letter. Station hiring mgr and my mgr told me there was no way to get my previous pay back and hiring mgr said "and you definitely can't get your previous percentage of range back." I've seen the policy, could have.
I wonder what they would have said if you told them you've decided not to take the position after all, and walked out. If they had such a hard time finding someone for that route I'm sure they would have done something for you.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Sorry, but I never said I only contributed 1%. I contributed 6% to get the highest 3.5% match. They bumped me up to 7% automatically in March.
Yep, set my 401k contribution to 0%. Did you know they raise your contribution automatically 1% every year?

Sorry I took your first message as meaning that they raised you from 0 to 1 and you put it back at 0.

vantexan

I wonder what they would have said if you told them you've decided not to take the position after all, and walked out. If they had such a hard time finding someone for that route I'm sure they would have done something for you.
Possibly, but they had already turned down one former employee. When I transferred mgr called me and asked me to consider returning. They broke my rt up into 2 part-time rts and was told by another courier there 3 weeks ago they're having all kinds of problems with them. I'd gladly go back if they gave me my old percentage of range back, plus the raises I've gotten since returning.

vantexan

you say that as if 401k cash out is tax free. Whats the differences if he pays a tax now or when he retires?
Not cashing out, just setting my contribution to 0%. When you do leave the company you can either roll the 401k over into a qualified plan, or if you choose to take the cash they will take 20% off the top, and you may or may not owe more when you file your return.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not cashing out, just setting my contribution to 0%. When you do leave the company you can either roll the 401k over into a qualified plan, or you choose to take the cash they will take 20% off the top, and you may or may not owe more when you file your return.

There may also be a 10% penalty for early withdrawal if you do not roll it over to a qualified plan.