I have an interview with Fedex Express next week. Some questions.

Number-Nine

I have been with UPS for 5 years, and I've tried to become full time with them but I am constantly being jerked around. Started driving last May, sent me back in mid June. Tried again in September, worked through peak but nothing came of it. They gave me an option to transfer to a different hub that's an hour away but I declined for the time being (still an option).

Anyway, I've applied to Express and quickly got a call back. On the phone they told me I cant work for both Express and UPS (I currently work as a clerk/part time during nights). Anyone here have done both express and ups, if so which one did you like better? Whats the pay/schedule like? What to expect? Should I still try and pursue driving with ups?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Oldfart

I guess you are interviewing for a courier position at Fedex. You will make more money at UPS and have better benefits but if you can't get a driving position there, those facts don't matter. You should start around 17 to 18 an hour at Fedex, depending on the city. To me the hours are better at Express. Depending if you are on the AM or PM operation. I have worked at both and I like Express better. Be prepared for 4 or 5 people to get on here and cry and whine about their job at Express, yet they wake up every day and go to that job. They are just miserable. You won't get rich at Express but the benefits are decent and most managers treat their employees pretty good. I like it, don't love it, but I have over 40 years and I tolerate the bad and enjoy the good. Others on here, not so much.

bacha29

i want a bunch of strangers on the internet to tell me what their experience with fedex express is/was like.
The Fedex experience? Let's put it this way......People have shot themselves for less. Seriously your long term interests will likely be best served by sticking with UPS.

vantexan

i want a bunch of stangers on the internet to tell me what fedex express is like.
If you can become a driver with UPS you'll get much better pay, benefits, and retirement. You'll work harder too. FedEx about a year and a half ago finally came up with a better pay plan than it had but it'll take you 9 years to top out and that depends on which of the 5 payscales you're on as to whether you top out over $26hr to over $30hr. You'll still work plenty hard at FedEx too but you won't get the great benefits UPS has. And there's really no comparison benefits wise. Or pay wise. The only real advantage of FedEx is because of turnover you'll go FT much faster in most locations. Due to weather or the Holiday season you'll also spend a lot of time at Fedex waiting for freight to arrive as most of it is flown. Some days that's hours. Not sure how weather affects UPS but I don't think that's as bad an issue there. And UPS has handlers loading their trucks while FedEx couriers run a sort every morning to unload containers and load and sort their own trucks. You'll most likely be driving a bigger truck at UPS. UPS has some union agreements that give drivers some flexibility on hours while at FedEx you're expected to get the work done and get the truck to the airport sent off on time. Depending on the station you may have to help with the reload too. After writing all of this I'm thankful I'm retired!

Star B

White Lightening
Well in my station, we had one ex-brownie that liked the more "relaxed" atmosphere of Express. One thing to find out is when the stations pull is. If it's early on the day for a CTV run, you will typically not be out later than that. If you live in a major metro with a really late departing aircraft, you could be out later. Just look up the last drop-off at the counter at the place your applying for and expect to work an hour or two later than that at most.

Good luck!

MassWineGuy

I am a part time permanent pm courier at Express and like it very much most of the time.

I worked two peaks with UPS as a helper and a third as a seasonal driver. Never did much driving. Except for one total jerk, I liked the drivers I worked with. But the managers had a much tougher time being human because they were between the corporate thumb and the people they used to work with.

Because UPS drivers are Teamsters, the money is much better and the benefits package is beyond comparison. But because of the union, there’s a naturally antagonistic relationship between corporate and the Teamsters. They really cannot have mutual goals and interests. UPS pushes drivers to the limit and beyond, and the managers have to be the heavies.

The work environment at FedEx is much, much better. At my station, at least, I usually feel like I’m treated well and that communication between drivers and managers is good. I like going to work. It’s still a huge corporation and with more than occasional bs. But on balance I like it.

If there’s a reasonable chance of being a driver at UPS, and you can stand all the barnyard product, go with it. If not, work at Express. You’ll make less money, but you won’t have an ulcer or worse when you retire.

The UPS pension system is severely underfunded and lots of folks who think retirement will be great may be in for something less so.

There are numerous opportunities at Express, possibly because there is no union to prevent someone in one position from doing a different task.

Last, but significant, are the people I’ve known and worked with at Express. Certainly a few that were/are unpleasant, like everywhere. But the majority have been really good people to know and work with. Some, the best I’ve ever met.

SmithBarney

Stay at UPS
If you really need work and they are hiring PT A.M. at FedEx(PT AM Couriers cannot be forced to work outside their scheduled shift), work at both tell no one, UPS drivers will probably see you on road, but that's a chance you'll have to take(if you want to)
There is no hard rule that says you can't work for both. Clearly it's not conflict of interest at the level you are working, if you were management then yes I could see a conflict.
Most of all stay at UPS, if you are young with no family(or a young family) you can put in a good 20-25years and(retire) or pick a new career after that. I know plenty of guys who put in 15-20years socking away all the UPS $$$ and now live very comfortably in another career choice.