I have some questions, advice, etc..

Chewster

Hello so I just got hired about a month and half ago, so far it's been okay. My current sup is only 19 years old and doesn't know how to supervise for :censored2: so he gives a lot :censored2: to the new hires. But he's the least of my concern. So my checks have been coming out like garabage as expected. Once I pass probation I plan to take the sorter test so I can get the $1 raise. I want my checks to come out fairly decent but I know it won't happen. How long would it take to reach ($250-$300) weekly checks. My current pay rate is at 10.10. I heard we get a raise every year, how much is the raise? I have night shift so it's kind of hard to have 2 jobs and go to school. Should I stay? Will it all be worth it at the end? Are there any 2-4 year vets here?

PT Car Washer

I doubt if he is a seasonal employee if he has been working the last month. Most people don't understand the huge turn over in PT. Just wanting to take the sort test is not enough. There has to be a sorter position open. Even then you can be pulled out and made to load by seniority. $.50 raise after a year.

AllOnTheHorses

I am under the impression that, in my building, the position of "Pickoff" is on a different payscale schedule.. maybe I am wrong.. but I seem to recall a pickoff complaining that their pay increases or pay in general was not increasing as loaders do.. and upon questioning management it turned out that pickoff was considered unskilled compared to loading.
Maybe this info is from one guy that was uninformed.. however it would be worth getting clarification on that before putting in for "sorter".. which to me sounds like pickoff.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1449587145.962589.jpg

This is a pickoff

Gear

Parts on Order
I am under the impression that, in my building, the position of "Pickoff" is on a different payscale schedule.. maybe I am wrong.. but I seem to recall a pickoff complaining that their pay increases or pay in general was not increasing as loaders do.. and upon questioning management it turned out that pickoff was considered unskilled compared to loading.
Maybe this info is from one guy that was uninformed.. however it would be worth getting clarification on that before putting in for "sorter".. which to me sounds like pickoff.

If we didn't have misinformation, we wouldn't have any information. You could ask 5 people and get 5 different answers.

nj2015

Not sure how it is other places, but...

I was hired as a loader. $11/hr to start. But we were getting out at like 9 a.m. every day, which allowed me virtually no time to get home and out to the full time job. So I requested to move to be on the sort aisle, since the primary gets out before 8 a.m. during non-peak.

I retained the $11/hr since I was trained and worked as a loader for a few months, but the sorters, I believe, start at the $10.10/hr.

"Pickoff" sounds like a seasonal job, but I'm not positive here. We don't have any positions called that; not regular year-round positions, anyway.

BrownBrokeDown

Hello so I just got hired about a month and half ago, so far it's been okay. My current sup is only 19 years old and doesn't know how to supervise for :censored2: so he gives a lot :censored2: to the new hires. But he's the least of my concern. So my checks have been coming out like garabage as expected. Once I pass probation I plan to take the sorter test so I can get the $1 raise. I want my checks to come out fairly decent but I know it won't happen. How long would it take to reach ($250-$300) weekly checks. My current pay rate is at 10.10. I heard we get a raise every year, how much is the raise? I have night shift so it's kind of hard to have 2 jobs and go to school. Should I stay? Will it all be worth it at the end? Are there any 2-4 year vets here?
im 5 years in, have the sorter raise, $14.40 per hour, my weekly bring home is roughly $210 filing taxes at the higher single rate.

BrownBrokeDown

Not sure how it is other places, but...

I was hired as a loader. $11/hr to start. But we were getting out at like 9 a.m. every day, which allowed me virtually no time to get home and out to the full time job. So I requested to move to be on the sort aisle, since the primary gets out before 8 a.m. during non-peak.

I retained the $11/hr since I was trained and worked as a loader for a few months, but the sorters, I believe, start at the $10.10/hr.

"Pickoff" sounds like a seasonal job, but I'm not positive here. We don't have any positions called that; not regular year-round positions, anyway.
No to all of it if your talking about twilight. Loaders are $10 non-skilled unless you got some sort of a deal. Pickoff is the guy that send you the packages and he gets the $1 extra as well as the sort aisle gets the $1 extra. If your talking about preload, no clue here then.

BrownBrokeDown

I doubt if he is a seasonal employee if he has been working the last month. Most people don't understand the huge turn over in PT. Just wanting to take the sort test is not enough. There has to be a sorter position open. Even then you can be pulled out and made to load by seniority. $.50 raise after a year.
Here, if you are the backup pickup you get the dollar as well. Its been like that since before i started, though i did have to fight for a while with the Ft sup that was only at my hub for a year over mine. But she eventually gave in

nj2015

No to all of it if your talking about twilight. Loaders are $10 non-skilled unless you got some sort of a deal. Pickoff is the guy that send you the packages and he gets the $1 extra as well as the sort aisle gets the $1 extra. If your talking about preload, no clue here then.
Preload. And I was talking about package car loaders, not feeder loaders. Sorry for not mentioning which shift.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge

You best bet is to stick it out for as long as you can. If you stick it out a year you get healthcare. Not sure your other job provides that. That is worth it in itself. Once your probation is up you need to get a union book and look up your raises. If you live at home and don't pay rent, then it is worth it.

BrownBrokeDown

You best bet is to stick it out for as long as you can. If you stick it out a year you get healthcare. Not sure your other job provides that. That is worth it in itself. Once your probation is up you need to get a union book and look up your raises. If you live at home and don't pay rent, then it is worth it.
I will say at my daytime job, family healthcare would cost me 130ish a week, whereas i get it free at UPS. It makes a difference.

nj2015

I will say at my daytime job, family healthcare would cost me 130ish a week, whereas i get it free at UPS. It makes a difference.
That's the only reason I'm doing this job. I have a year until benefits kick in (it's 18 mo. for dependents to get on UPS benefits) but when they do, they'll save me about $800(!)/mo. in premiums I'm currently paying at my full time day job for a family of 4. Add in the copays/deductibles/out-of-pocket and it comes to about $15k or more every year for healthcare. So once I can move my family to the UPS plan, it'll be an instant $15k raise for me. Not to mention it's nice to have the extra cash, even if it's not that much right now.