I know I will get a hard time on this but im thinking hard

LaUpser

i may be taking a p/t sup posisiton for local sort at my center, im trying to figure out what is the pay/salary starting out. i have a full time job with full benefits that's working out for me but since i was kinda offered the position of p/t i trying to see how much they bring in. i know what all comes ago with it but that dosent bother me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm guessing $20,000 per year starting.

27.5/hrs per week at around $15/hr is just over $20K. What will help is not having to pay for health insurance as his FT employer provides benefits.

One question--how flexible is your FT employer in regard to your start time? I only ask because your hours at UPS, while they should remain fairly stable during the bulk of the year, could be subject to change during Peak.

LaUpser

27.5/hrs per week at around $15/hr is just over $20K. What will help is not having to pay for health insurance as his FT employer provides benefits.

One question--how flexible is your FT employer in regard to your start time? I only ask because your hours at UPS, while they should remain fairly stable during the bulk of the year, could be subject to change during Peak.

i work 7-330 no o/t if it his most of time i will be done by 430

wgf46

I no i will get a hard time on this but im thinking hard

Plus bonus incentives, as hard as the PT supervisors are pushing time and hurry up, there had to be production bonuses.

OCRookie

From experience as a PT sup there are no production bonuses or bonuses of any kind that I ever received. Your base salary depends on what you make as a PT hourly. If you are making say 12.50 right now as an hourly expect to get around 15.00 an hour after promotion. Take 15 * 27.5 * 52 and you have your rough salary estimate. With that being said, you will occasionally work over 27.5 and you do get paid for additional hours. Good luck getting anything over 29.99 though as your FT / Manager will not allow it most of the time.

wgf46

If there is no bonuses, why do they act like there job depends on it by rushing everything and stressing so hard that the belt not turn off?

brown2bone

How old are you? How many years seniority do u have? If you are anywhere close to being a driver it might be worth it financially to wait and start off making 50-65k/ year. I don't know what your ft job brings in but top pay for a driver can be well over 80k/ year. Bring in more in one week than you would as a pt sup does in a month.

The reasoning behind waiting is its easier to go to ft sup from a driver than ft sup from part time sup. especially if you are good at your job managers don't want to loose a good pt sup. remember you can't go driving once you make the switch to pt sup. and if you take the route of going driving then to full time sup u will also get paid a lot more than if you went from pt to ft sup.

OCRookie

If there is no bonuses, why do they act like there job depends on it by rushing everything and stressing so hard that the belt not turn off?

Wanting to get promoted / look good. Pressure from the bosses. Wanted to make #'s for your year end QPR #, AKA to get a raise. There are a variety of reasons. I can assure you there is no bonus. There wasnt one when I was a PT sup and I cant imagine UPS implementing one at this point in time.

TxRoadDawg

no bonus at all. Also the ONLY way you can ever go back is get hired on as a full time driver directly which normally is only a 30 day thing then your a full time sup. exception being if you decide to pass on going full time sup after they set it up for you. major drawback besides money and benefits is it will also take an act of god and 80 hoops to jump through if you ever want to transfer to another center.

curiousbrain

no bonus at all. Also the ONLY way you can ever go back is get hired on as a full time driver directly which normally is only a 30 day thing then your a full time sup. exception being if you decide to pass on going full time sup after they set it up for you. major drawback besides money and benefits is it will also take an act of god and 80 hoops to jump through if you ever want to transfer to another center.

I'm informed that that particular trick doesn't fly everywhere, anymore. Details are murky, but the company pays the Union dues while your "back in", thus somehow negating the individual of the choice to stay. Something like that ... least, that's the word whispered around the campfire. Although ... you know ... lots of things go around the campfire which are never true.

I've been with ups for over 10 years now. Anyone thinking about pt mgmt really needs to think about what they want from the company... When I went into it it was for college and I did not think I would be in for this long. If you're someone looking for a career and eventually moving on from ups it would be the way to go. It will look good on a resume. If your looking for good benefits and a good paying job, just stay hourly and get full time as soon as you can. Also, if you've been with ups more than 5 years, stay hourly. It will cost you more in benefits if you have a family. Pt sup insurance has taken a serious blow in the last few years. (I know it has for everyone.) personally, I do regret the decision on becoming a sup. if I had stayed hourly I may have been a driver for years by now. The politics with ups mgmt are ridiculous also....But, everything happens for a reason!:happy-very:

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
remember you can't go driving once you make the switch to pt sup. and if you take the route of going driving then to full time sup u will also get paid a lot more than if you went from pt to ft sup.

Yes, you most certainly can go from PT sup to driver, it happens pretty regularly.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
When I moved to the gateway, it was to replace a PT sup that they wanted to send driving with the intention of promoting them to FT sup (not specifically on-car). She ended up signing a union card and basically giving upper management the middle finger. Now in my case, which was about 7 years later, they had procedures in place to make sure we didn't get enough time in that particular spot in order to be able to do the same. I believe I got 29 days in total before they brought be back to the gateway....still as a PT sup.

As far as the OP's original question....PT sup is probably one of the toughest management positions in the company. If you lack thick skin and mental toughness, then walk away. If you lack social skills or people skills, please don't add to the vast amounts of management that need not be in charge of humans. As far as opportunity goes....it's nothing like it used to be. PT supervision is basically a 'hold-over' job until you find something better somwhere else....whereas before it was a platform to spring your advancement through the company. This is no longer the case. If you are even the slightest bit inclined to be a driver...just stick with that. The same potential advancement in management can come from being a driver, all the while making much better money and benefits. I'm still predicting that PT sups will one-day unionize....