I like my job at fedex ground

gysmmk

Been trying to get into UPS for a long time but the hub near me is still not hiring, worked with UPS during peak and became friends with a driver, he's been trying to get me a job at UPS since. Applied at fedex ground and been working the preload. My only complaint is some of my coworkers that use the ring scanners before me, leave the arm strap smelling like pure vinegar :sick:

Needless to say, i get there early and scope out a dry arm band for my scanner. To be honest I eventually want to be a driver at UPS but the hub near me is still not hiring. I kind of want to be a contractor at fedex though for a few years to see how that is. Ultimately when i turn 21 ill be sure to get my cdl with hazmat and triples, then either pull tractors for UPS or fedex. Wouldnt mind hitting the lottery with the 6 to 1 and becoming a driver for UPS off the street, one can only hope.

I know i should go to college and such but driving those package trucks really intrigue me, even though it probably gets old fast and it is definitely grueling work. :happy-very:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Been trying to get into UPS for a long time but the hub near me is still not hiring, worked with UPS during peak and became friends with a driver, he's been trying to get me a job at UPS since. Applied at fedex ground and been working the preload. My only complaint is some of my coworkers that use the ring scanners before me, leave the arm strap smelling like pure vinegar :sick:

Needless to say, i get there early and scope out a dry arm band for my scanner. To be honest I eventually want to be a driver at UPS but the hub near me is still not hiring. I kind of want to be a contractor at fedex though for a few years to see how that is. Ultimately when i turn 21 ill be sure to get my cdl with hazmat and triples, then either pull tractors for UPS or fedex. Wouldnt mind hitting the lottery with the 6 to 1 and becoming a driver for UPS off the street, one can only hope.

I know i should go to college and such but driving those package trucks really intrigue me, even though it probably gets old fast and it is definitely grueling work. :happy-very:

Go to college.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Go to college. Keep your RPS preload gig. Get that piece of paper and then, if you still want to "race the truck", at least you will have your degree to fall back on if it doesn't work out for you. Start at a 2 yr school if you don't think you are ready for a 4 yr. Make sure it is a school that has an agreement with a 4 yr so that all of your credits will transfer and you won't waste time and money having to retake courses. Good luck.

BTW, I was an off the street hire back when it was 3 to 1. I was hired in 1989 which was a period of growth. 2009 is not and the same opportunities for off the street hires just are not there.

bbsam

Staff member
Go to college. Keep your RPS preload gig. Get that piece of paper and then, if you still want to "race the truck", at least you will have your degree to fall back on if it doesn't work out for you. Start at a 2 yr school if you don't think you are ready for a 4 yr. Make sure it is a school that has an agreement with a 4 yr so that all of your credits will transfer and you won't waste time and money having to retake courses. Good luck.

BTW, I was an off the street hire back when it was 3 to 1. I was hired in 1989 which was a period of growth. 2009 is not and the same opportunities for off the street hires just are not there.
there is a side note to the college advice. it is ALOT of FUN! (possibly a little too much in my case) but in all seriousness, fedex ground was a fallback job for me because i never finished (still need 4 credits) but has probably paid off better than most bachelor degree positions. i am probably the exception to the rule in that respect. but i can also honestly say that there has not been a day in the last 20 years that i regretted going to college. it was worth every penny of the $45,000 (that was alot of money back then) that i "wasted". loved every minute of it.

gysmmk

Well ill just have to work preload at UPS when i can get in there, and become a driver from the bottom up.

moreluck

golden ticket member
A lot of people with college diplomas (and the debt that comes with them) work at Starbucks.

A lot of people with college diplomas are "world dumb". They have no clue. I have a brother like that....... Extremely educated and acts stupidly. :dead:

22LR

I don't think it has anything to do with their level of intelligence necessarily. It's more a result systematic problems.

Overpaid Union Thug

I enjoyed my job at RPS too but it was a dead end job with little to no opportunity for full-time advancement. Only choices were full-time supervisor. No thanks those guys work longer hours than drivers and the pay is horrible. Or becoming a "contractor." Hell no!

gysmmk

a little update.

4 months into the job i worked my ass off and got a full time position. Ive been full time ever since making 10.25.

still wish i got into ups 2 years ago.

Made friends with a driver during peak last year thats been there 20 years and he kept telling hr to give me a call but for whatever reason they dont want me. They said i would be hired as soon as a spot opened up but thats came and gone.

If i was offered a job at UPS for perm-part time even though i have a full time gig at ground, i would prob accept it.

About to look into transfering to express for obvious reasons but i doubt fedex would let me keep my hrs worked at ground and im pretty close to 1,000 hours.

gysmmk

if i make the switch from ground to express would i keep my ft status and health insurance (that is if i stay with ground until i get my insurance)

Ricochet1a

if i make the switch from ground to express would i keep my ft status and health insurance (that is if i stay with ground until i get my insurance)

The "switch" isn't a switch. There is no "transfer" within the separate operating companies. If you apply, interview and are offered a job within Express, you are considered a new hire to Express, your time with Ground would be meaningless.

If the position you are hired into within Express is a full-time position, you have health insurance from day one. If the position you are hired into within Express is part-time, you must work 90 days before your benefits package takes effect. There is no "conversion" if your previous employment had insurance - part-timers MUST wait 90 days for their Express benefits to start.

This is yet another one of the misconceptions out there regarding FedEx. All of the companies operate completely separately. The public thinks they are integrated, only the ownership is under FedEx Corporation. Someone can have 10 years with Ground (as an employee), Office or any of the other separate operating companies - if they apply to Express, it would be as a new hire employee with their seniority, date of hire and retirement benefits calculated from that first day of work with Express.

gysmmk

I'll probably stay with ground and become a contractor then. I have 7 days paid vacation, do I have to take them or can i just get paid for them?