I love delivering in the dark.

AKCoverMan

Here in the Last Frontier we of course have to deliver many hours in the dark. In December at the hight of peak our official sundown time is about 330pm.. lot of fun in a rural area where many houses are not marked with numbers anyway and it's pitch black out. Ah, good times!

But of course we get the same time allowance in the dark as the daylight and we get zero seconds per stop to consult an atlas to see if the 3rd driveway from the last corner is indeed the house you are looking for. :)

On the other hand I get very nice weather to deliver in during the summer. No problem with darkness May-Aug.

Packmule

I have rural stops that are actually safer to do in the dark. They have long driveways that come out onto narrow roads with no shoulder and a blind turn on either side. No shoulder means I cant park and walk em off, so I have no choice but to drive up the driveway, and when I leave the driveway I am at risk of getting hit by someone who is coming around the blind corner too fast. At night I can see their headlights and wait until they have passed before turning out onto the road. If its daytime I just pray real hard and hammer the throttle, leaving rooster tails of mud and gravel in my wake.So far at least, my prayers have been answered. And its kind of fun to make rooster tails, reminds me of growing up watching the Dukes of Hazzard!

This applies to meeting vehicles head on when driving on narrow windy back country roads. Still, I like the sun, man!

AKCoverMan

There is a resi on a route I cover out in the sticks that has a long one lane drive about 200 yards with both sides lined with trees. The problem is about 2/3 of the way down is a diagonal tree branch that a car or even a pickup could drive under but not a package car.

The first time I delivered here I tried going down the driveway figuring whoever lives there has to turnaround somewhere.. generally these drives open up at the main house. Then I got to the tree branch.. no choice had to try long back to get out. This drive is just barely package car width with deep soft snow on both sides. Sadly one wheel found snow and was sucked in and I was stuck, 45 mins waiting for the tow truck to yank me out.

After that I always parked on the road and hiked in. I carry a portable spotlight (million cdp) which I keep on and make noise while walking down the driveway in the dark never knowing what wildlife might be in the forest on either side of the driveway. It's the only time I really wish I was armed on road.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
There is a resi on a route I cover out in the sticks that has a long one lane drive about 200 yards with both sides lined with trees. The problem is about 2/3 of the way down is a diagonal tree branch that a car or even a pickup could drive under but not a package car.

The first time I delivered here I tried going down the driveway figuring whoever lives there has to turnaround somewhere.. generally these drives open up at the main house. Then I got to the tree branch.. no choice had to try long back to get out. This drive is just barely package car width with deep soft snow on both sides. Sadly one wheel found snow and was sucked in and I was stuck, 45 mins waiting for the tow truck to yank me out.

After that I always parked on the road and hiked in. I carry a portable spotlight (million cdp) which I keep on and make noise while walking down the driveway in the dark never knowing what wildlife might be in the forest on either side of the driveway. It's the only time I really wish I was armed on road.

I would be having a discussion with the homeowner about the need for him to prune that tree. You having to walk off a 200 yard driveway on a snowy night with bears and other critters around should not be a realistic expectation for the homeowner to have. I have a few driveways like that on my route (minus the bears and deep snow of course) and whenever the foliage gets too thick I politely ask the homeowner to cut it back. I dont mind scratching the paint or having to fold the mirrors in, but when it gets to the point of breaking the windshield wipers or marker lights, or cracking mirrors even after I have folded them in then its time for the homeowner to take care of the problem if he wants us to keep delivering to him. Another good way to "motivate" customers to deal with issues involving vehicle clearance or lack of anyplace on the property to turn around is to point out that if a UPS package car cant get in or out then neither can an ambulance if they ever had to call 911 for a medical emergency. I have had more than a few raised eyebrows when I brought that up, which were usually followed within a short time by the problem being taken care of.

just_a_number

Was told on monday at pcm get your flashlights ready new batteries blah blah...does that now mean its a tool to do the job??? Aren't tools to do the job supposed to be supplied??? Just a question

rod

Retired 22 years
I would be having a discussion with the homeowner about the need for him to prune that tree. You having to walk off a 200 yard driveway on a snowy night with bears and other critters around should not be a realistic expectation for the homeowner to have. I have a few driveways like that on my route (minus the bears and deep snow of course) and whenever the foliage gets too thick I politely ask the homeowner to cut it back. I dont mind scratching the paint or having to fold the mirrors in, but when it gets to the point of breaking the windshield wipers or marker lights, or cracking mirrors even after I have folded them in then its time for the homeowner to take care of the problem if he wants us to keep delivering to him. Another good way to "motivate" customers to deal with issues involving vehicle clearance or lack of anyplace on the property to turn around is to point out that if a UPS package car cant get in or out then neither can an ambulance if they ever had to call 911 for a medical emergency. I have had more than a few raised eyebrows when I brought that up, which were usually followed within a short time by the problem being taken care of.

I carried a fold up branch saw with me. I widened out alot of driveways with that thing. I learned early on to never ask for permission from the home owner because 9 times out of ten they would act like it would be the end of the world if a few branches were cut.

Comparative Review of Folding Saws Under $20 - YouTube

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Here in the Last Frontier we of course have to deliver many hours in the dark. In December at the hight of peak our official sundown time is about 330pm.. lot of fun in a rural area where many houses are not marked with numbers anyway and it's pitch black out. Ah, good times!

But of course we get the same time allowance in the dark as the daylight and we get zero seconds per stop to consult an atlas to see if the 3rd driveway from the last corner is indeed the house you are looking for. :)

On the other hand I get very nice weather to deliver in during the summer. No problem with darkness May-Aug.
We watch Alaska State Troopers all the time. There is NO WAY I would work there doing what we do. I'm not a big fan of being charged by moose or bear.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I carried a fold up branch saw with me. I widened out alot of driveways with that thing. I learned early on to never ask for permission from the home owner because 9 times out of ten they would act like it would be the end of the world if a few branches were cut.

Comparative Review of Folding Saws Under $20 - YouTube
I had a customer come undone over a branch of a tree being broke. WTF it was a garbage tree, Sumac (we call them paradise trees around here) but the grow like freaking weeds. Cut one down and 5 will pop up next spring.

tarbar66

Another good way to "motivate" customers to deal with issues involving vehicle clearance or lack of anyplace on the property to turn around is to point out that if a UPS package car cant get in or out then neither can an ambulance if they ever had to call 911 for a medical emergency. I have had more than a few raised eyebrows when I brought that up, which were usually followed within a short time by the problem being taken care of.

I can't believe I did not think of that!

Best post of the day..