I LOVE IT!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Today I delivered one trailer to a gypsy. Not a trailer just dropped in a yard somewhere, I actually parked it so a gypsy who was waiting for it could take it. AND there were 4 other gypsies waiting for loads, and a Swift tractor passed me going out with a greybox.

I then returned to my own building where my next leg was canceled. Many legs were canceled (because gypsies are doing our work). There were at least 20 of us shifting in the yard. Probably needed 12. I even had to wait for a shifter after lunch. BORING day with 20 people shifting. Punched out with exactly 8 hrs.

I'm really p/o about this.

I'm assuming this is grievable.

cino321

Today I delivered one trailer to a gypsy. Not a trailer just dropped in a yard somewhere, I actually parked it so a gypsy who was waiting for it could take it. AND there were 4 other gypsies waiting for loads, and a Swift tractor passed me going out with a greybox.

I then returned to my own building where my next leg was canceled. Many legs were canceled (because gypsies are doing our work). There were at least 20 of us shifting in the yard. Probably needed 12. I even had to wait for a shifter after lunch. BORING day with 20 people shifting. Punched out with exactly 8 hrs.

I'm really p/o about this.

Can you define "gypsy, leg, greybox, and swift." Some of us in package car aren't familiar with your fancy feeder lingo.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Can you define "gypsy, leg, greybox, and swift." Some of us in package car aren't familiar with your fancy feeder lingo.
Swift is easy. One of the largest transportation companies - Long haul. Leg, I am guessing is each part of the route. IE: haul one trailer from point a to b is a leg. Greybox - guessing cargo containers. Gypsy - have no clue. Someone outside the company that hauls ?

Big Babooba

Swift is easy. One of the largest transportation companies - Long haul. Leg, I am guessing is each part of the route. IE: haul one trailer from point a to b is a leg. Greybox - guessing cargo containers. Gypsy - have no clue. Someone outside the company that hauls ?

Gypsy is a independent contractor (usually non-union). Gray box - UPS trailer

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Gypsy is a independent contractor (usually non-union). Gray box - UPS trailer

I hear them called "shiny wheels" around here. We have had at least two of them parked next to our fuel pumps waiting on loads both nights this week. And yes, we have a few Feeder Drivers bumped back down into Package. But its Peak Season, contract doesn't matter...

over9five

Staff member
I think you guys covered it all except "leg". I guess you could say "trip". A leg is a trip from one place to the next.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Had a gypsie blow by me around 80 mph on I 84 with a grey box (grey ups trailer with the acorn} That must look good to the public! wait till one crashes. All over the news how ""unsafe ' Ups is!!

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
shoudn't be like that, outside companies doing our work, but it happens all the time, even more so now. Glad I got enough work! How does an extra 10% show up and no one knows where it came from?!

Theichii

I, for one, get "laid off" one day a week during the rest of the year as low man on the totem pole. So I thought of a simple solution for peak. My schedule for the month of December is clear except for the holidays. I have purposely worked a 13 hour day every day this week, and then when Friday comes I get only an eight hour day due to the 60 hour rule. Awesome idea right? Every day this week it has been 240 miles with 122-138 stops.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
The Columbia SC hub has been gridlocked for two of the last four days. Most of the shiny trucks are taking the hot loads from Columbia to Louisville, and some of the coast to coast stuff.
Last night(12-2-09) drivers were out until 2230, when they have to come off the road due to hos rules. I made easy money waiting on two with out bound loads.