I must go to part time from Driver....

gt500916

i have been a Driver for about 3 years. I just not to long ago went to feeders department. i was told over and over again that its hard work, drivers work 12 hours all the time, get 10 hours off and get called back in...

Also the way the system used to work here is, if you get called in at a certain time in the evening, then you automatically lock yourself into feeders for the rest of the week... well that has changed and no longer the case.

I just recently got married 3 months ago and its starting to effect my marriage slightly... and i do NOT marriage second place

This is why i need to go back to my past part time position. Yes i know i will loose my pay, and i will loose my seniority ... or would all my full and part time seniority count as all part time seniority?

I dont know exactly how to do this the right way, if i need to put in my 2 weeks notice, or do i just request a transfer back to part time or if there is anything my union can do for me to help me transfer back and keeping my part time seniority.. im not sure.

hope i can get some help here

UPSGUY72

I don't think you can go back to PT without quitting and getting rehired. UPS spent alot of money training you to drive.

You knew what you where getting into when you signed up for driving and your wife knew all about your job and what your hours where like before you got married.

Something is fishy that all of a suden after 3 months of marriage your job is a problem??? I would do some serious thinking before you shoot yourself in the foot and destroy your career at UPS.

gt500916

yes i knew what i was getting into... however, i didnt have a girlfriend, nor a fiance, till about 1 1/2 years ago... so obviously i was in a different situation when i went to feeders as being single.

also when going into feeders, the picture was painted totally different about the job as it is now. its almost 180 degrees from what i was shown about the job.

and how would i be destroying my career if i stay with the company... im basically loosing my pay and seniority... but would be staying with the company.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
You dated for a year and a half and she didn't have a clue about the job? Now she is OK with you going from 90 grand to 15? Interesting.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
You may have a chance when job bids come back up. Doing it now would be unfair for a lot of people who wanted to go full-time during the bidding process. This will be something you talk to your union business agent about. He would know first hand what your chances will be to get this done.

You are not the first or the last person to "hate" this career path. Good luck in your decision.

UPSGUY72

MY wife said that most of the drives wifes are happy there husbands are working full time making $30 hr and bringing home the benifits that we do.

I don't think any job you get she will be happy with, If you went back to PT she'll be complain your home all the time and you don't make enough money. What is she jealous you have a job ? Does she think you are cheating ?

Unless she is rich I would tell her where she could go and take tomorrow off and go file the big D papers. Remember you have only been married three months so she isn't going to get a dime from you right know and you can find someone that appreciates that you have a good job.

UPSGUY72

You may have a chance when job bids come back up. Doing it now would be unfair for a lot of people who wanted to go full-time during the bidding process. This will be something you talk to your union business agent about. He would know first hand what your chances will be to get this done.

You are not the first or the last person to "hate" this career path. Good luck in your decision.

the problem is that He doesn't hate it his new wife does.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
the problem is that He doesn't hate it his new wife does.

From his posts, he mentioned the job is affecting his marriage. He wasn't too specific about in what way. He does mention the job is different from how they explained it to him.

If he feels leaving his wife alone 3rd shift is going to cause a divorce, then he probably doesn't have a choice. He will have to quit.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
MY wife said that most of the drives wifes are happy there husbands are working full time making $30 hr and bringing home the benifits that we do.

I don't think any job you get she will be happy with, If you went back to PT she'll be complain your home all the time and you don't make enough money. What is she jealous you have a job ? Does she think you are cheating ?

Unless she is rich I would tell her where she could go and take tomorrow off and go file the big D papers. Remember you have only been married three months so she isn't going to get a dime from you right know and you can find someone that appreciates that you have a good job.

I tried to avoid saying this directly. You did it for me.

P

pickup

i have been a Driver for about 3 years. I just not to long ago went to feeders department. i was told over and over again that its hard work, drivers work 12 hours all the time, get 10 hours off and get called back in...

Also the way the system used to work here is, if you get called in at a certain time in the evening, then you automatically lock yourself into feeders for the rest of the week... well that has changed and no longer the case.

I just recently got married 3 months ago and its starting to effect my marriage slightly... and i do NOT marriage second place

This is why i need to go back to my past part time position. Yes i know i will loose my pay, and i will loose my seniority ... or would all my full and part time seniority count as all part time seniority?

I dont know exactly how to do this the right way, if i need to put in my 2 weeks notice, or do i just request a transfer back to part time or if there is anything my union can do for me to help me transfer back and keeping my part time seniority.. im not sure.

hope i can get some help here

Remember the immortal "Superman 2" movie starring Christopher Reeve. "Kneel before Zod"(just to jog your memory). He was superman and he had his powers removed so he could have sexual relations with Lois Lane. Then when the phantom zone criminals showed up , he wished he could have his powers back. He got lucky, he was able to get them back. If you give up your position to go back ,when regret hits, you won't be able to reverse the change again.

rod

Retired 22 years
You think your wife is mad now---just wait til she sees you sitting around the house all day picking your nose bringing in 1/8th of what you did as a feeder driver:clubbing::taz:

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Why do you want to "loose" your pay and seniority? and now you mentioned you might "loose" your wife. In this economy you are very fortunate to be paid what you're getting paid. If you decide to drop out of feeders then you really have something "loose".

helenofcalifornia

What other job would you have besides UPS? You know you can't live on a PT income especially with a wife. Does she actually realize that you would be bringing home $150 a week instead of $900 minimum? I applaud you for trying to go back to PT, but I think your best bet would be to just quit UPS altogether and find another job and career.

People have waited YEARS to go feeder driving and you are going to give it up. I hope everything works out for you and that you give it some very serious thought before you commit to this plan.

Last edited:

brownrodster

and how would i be destroying my career if i stay with the company... im basically loosing my pay and seniority... but would be staying with the company.

Because you can't just go back to part time. You would have to quit. Then get rehired and start all over again. Losing all of your seniority, etc...

Look at your contract. In my area after 3 years in the feeder department you can transfer back to package car.

brownrodster

If he feels leaving his wife alone 3rd shift is going to cause a divorce, then he probably doesn't have a choice. He will have to quit.

He can choose to get rid of the wife. This guy has dug himself a nice hole. He's screwed no matter what. She'll leave him if he continues his crazy feeder schedule. She'll leave him if he quits then goes back to part time making 8.50 per hour and working 20 hours per week.

It's time to start thing ahead towards marraige number 2.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
yes i knew what i was getting into... however, i didnt have a girlfriend, nor a fiance, till about 1 1/2 years ago... so obviously i was in a different situation when i went to feeders as being single.

also when going into feeders, the picture was painted totally different about the job as it is now. Its almost 180 degrees from what I was shown about the job.

and how would i be destroying my career if i stay with the company... Imo basically loosing my pay and seniority... but would be staying with the company.

How many people in your center had this happened to? And that will answer your question.......Funny thing will be when you put your notice in and they give you a negative rehire status and you will not be employed and have a fiancee.....

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Another cold hard fact is this: UPS does not care about your family. They don't care about it now and they will care less about it when you inform them of your desired solution to this situation. They wouldl also probably insist that you start over under the "new contract" as a new employee, if at all which is highly unlikely, in which case your bennies would get zeroed out for 12 months. Not good. Not good at all.