I need advice on a chevy asap

DS

Fenderbender
Thanks for the help. I got to the hospital, with no needs to back:greedy: called my dealer he told me to come get a truck and we would worry about the rest later. God bless him. I drove it back parked it and am driving a new one. Yes 10 inches, and no plows.
Well thats one thing less to worry about for now anyway.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I think Tooner's state got 6-10 inches of snow today on top of what is already there. Hubby is in hospital with heart problems and she needs the 4X4 to get there. I hope he is doing alright.

As far as tranny problem, sounds like more than just loose linkage. I am sorry it sounds like transmission shop time and a big bill. Like somebody says, its good to take care of your customers, I have got many discounts over the years.
That was kinda my point Scratch. :happy-very:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
i know a tranny guy.....his names elizabeth

Whoops, sorry Elizabeth, and all you other gals out there in the service world.

Funny thing about this thread. My wife is now having tranny trouble in her 2002 Windstar. Thank God I got the extended warranty when we bought it, or I'd be up the creek with tooner, but not as bad off as upstate.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Hmmm, it was my 2002 that had the tranny issue too. I never looked into an extended warranty. How long they good for, Steve?
It had 140,000 on it.

I looked up complaints online and saw all sorts of people complaining about the Windstar tranny. We bought ours from CarMax and it still had some warranty left. I sold them my 2000 Mustang, (Manhood), and used the money for the 72 month extended plan. Can't go wrong, as we've already brought it in several times for fixes. The only problem we have now, is that my voice is a few octaves higher.:happy-very:

We were able to sell the Mustang as we had an Explorer that was already paid off. The Mustang was paid off as well, but only sat 4 people and as everyone knows, I have quite a sizeable family and dogs ta boot.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
So does the 72 month extended warranty have any mileage limitation?

No, not at all, just a flat 72 months, best money I ever spent. Deductible is $50 at any CarMax and $75 at Ford dealers. CarMax is the better bet for us, as Ford will try to up the charges as much as they can.

dragracer66

Calling all chevy guys.
I know this is the wrong forum, Oh well shoot me.
I backed in my driveway tonight in 4x4 and I heard something zing, and I lost reverse. The shifter for 4x4 jumped outta gear. I have all 4 forward gears, in 2x4 and 4x4. No weird noise, nothing leaking, no burnt tranny smell. Its a silverado.
I have a few questions. will it make it a while if I just dont get myself into a position where I have to back, How do I check the fluid level, could it just be linkage, or a cable.
I have to be back at the hospital in the am, and of course it is saturday so most likely I cant get it fixed. My husband is in the hospital with a heart problem so I cannot ask him, so any help any of you motor heads could give me is appreciated.
Most likely you broke something in the trans. If you have all your foward gears thats usually the sign of that. It's not going to be fluid or linkage. Linkage works if you have park and forward gears same if you were low on fluid. Find a place that gives free estimates and find out that way. Aamco is good for that.....

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Most likely you broke something in the trans. If you have all your foward gears thats usually the sign of that. It's not going to be fluid or linkage. Linkage works if you have park and forward gears same if you were low on fluid. Find a place that gives free estimates and find out that way. Aamco is good for that.....

But don't let them do the service, unless you know them. I think I've seen "most" Aamco service manangers pictures, while waiting in line at the post office.

over9five

Staff member
But don't let them do the service, unless you know them. I think I've seen "most" Aamco service manangers pictures, while waiting in line at the post office.

I agree. I had a really bad Aamco experience. I drove a truck there with a tranny issue. They fixed it and 31 days later the tranny blew apart on the road. Keep in mind I DROVE it there in the first place. I will never go to an Aamco again.

Of course, this was 25 years ago....

sounds like maybe a servo could have gone bad. if that is the case you can buy a trans shift kit with new billet servos for a couple hundred depending on brand and type. transmission can be scarring but if you have basic wrenching skills you could do this in your driveway in a couple hours.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Another Aamco testimonial. My mom's Toyota started acting up right before the drivetrain warranty went out at 60K miles. The dealer looked at it and didn't find anything wrong with it. She was out of state when transmission gave out, and Toyota refused to repair it because she was now over 60K miles. The nearby Aamco worked on it four times before finally fixing it. They even busted the windshield taking it out. Never again.

No update from Tooner on her husband yet. I hope all is well.

trickpony1

Tooner-
I'm told that some of these nationwide transmission shops do offer "free estimates".
They take the tranny out, tear it apart, give you a "free estimate" but then tell you it's $500 to put it all back together again. The logic, of course, is that you will then buy a new/rebuilt tranny from them instead of spending the $500 to resurrect a tranny that doesn't work.
Good Luck.
Be aware and ask questions.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Got my husband home last night. They determined the angina pain, is caused from stress. The stress of his chronic back pain, raises his stress level which raises his bp. 6 days and multiple tests, and ekgs, to find out untreated back pain, can give you a heart attack.
They have him on mscontin for his back pain, and has not had an attack of angina in 24 hrs. Now comes the fun part. Pain clinics. They treat everyone like junkies. He had the radio transmitted lesioning which was suppose to stop the pain, and instead made it worse. Since then has been off pain meds, as it was "fixed" and he wouldnt need pain meds. Hence here we are, an untreatable back injury, that will hurt his heart, if not treated.
As for the truck, once he gets moving a little better, Im going to trade it. Unfortunately I have a lot of negative equity, but have to get back to work tomorrow so it looks like Ill just get the best deal I can. I dont have time to shop around. But its all good. Im just lucky my husband is home, my family is all safe, and I had a Godsend help me through a few days. And thanks to all of you who supported me as always.