I need hiring period/transfer info

Meesaconfused

Ok so I'm a new UPS employee (loader) working in New York. I've been working there since September, so I'll have been working here for two months, come October 31st. I had a phone interview and a couple days later, I was told to come in the next day for "training". I went in, and was immediately thrown into the job. My "training" consisted of a crash course (again, ON the job) and a few pointers here and there from supervisors that contradict each other constantly and.... and that's it. Basically what I'm saying is that the communication here sucks.

To the topic at hand: I was told when I first started working here that because I am a part-time employee (or just because, I don't know, at this point), I am in a hiring period for 40 days. I wouldn't be considered a "permanent" hire (i.e. in the Union, more freedom, can't be easily fired) until that period is up. But a couple weeks ago, one of my supervisors came up to me during work and informed me that my hiring period has been pushed back until late December. This came out of nowhere.

The real problem here is that I am interested in transferring to a different facility that would be much more beneficial for me, and I am in contact with someone that is interested in hiring me for a seasonal job, but I don't have enough information about how things work at UPS to make that decision. If I transfer before I make Union, would that be a bad look within the company/on my resume? Would I even be allowed to do that? If I take this seasonal job, does that mean I'm kicked out of the company when its done?

I asked my mom about this and she thinks it will look bad to future employers if I "hop around" a lot, especially as a non-permanent employee.

Basically, meesa VERY confused

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
you can try to get hired at the other location but most likely they won't let you transfer. You are already hired at your current location. yes you are an employee. Seniority doesn't matter.
also ups does not report employment info other then the dates you worked for them. I wouldn't worry about hopping around. Especially now these days with most people employed in the gig economy.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
I wouldn't be considered a "permanent" hire (i.e. in the Union, more freedom, can't be easily fired) until that period is up. But a couple weeks ago, one of my supervisors came up to me during work and informed me that my hiring period has been pushed back until late December. This came out of nowhere.
unacceptable of UPS to trick you like this...working months and not knowing you have a job is DISGUSTING. You probably haven’t been working up to UPS’s warp speed pace so they want get rid of you..
🧔✊

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
Ok so I'm a new UPS employee (loader) working in New York. I've been working there since September, so I'll have been working here for two months, come October 31st. I had a phone interview and a couple days later, I was told to come in the next day for "training". I went in, and was immediately thrown into the job. My "training" consisted of a crash course (again, ON the job) and a few pointers here and there from supervisors that contradict each other constantly and.... and that's it. Basically what I'm saying is that the communication here sucks.

To the topic at hand: I was told when I first started working here that because I am a part-time employee (or just because, I don't know, at this point), I am in a hiring period for 40 days. I wouldn't be considered a "permanent" hire (i.e. in the Union, more freedom, can't be easily fired) until that period is up. But a couple weeks ago, one of my supervisors came up to me during work and informed me that my hiring period has been pushed back until late December. This came out of nowhere.

The real problem here is that I am interested in transferring to a different facility that would be much more beneficial for me, and I am in contact with someone that is interested in hiring me for a seasonal job, but I don't have enough information about how things work at UPS to make that decision. If I transfer before I make Union, would that be a bad look within the company/on my resume? Would I even be allowed to do that? If I take this seasonal job, does that mean I'm kicked out of the company when its done?

I asked my mom about this and she thinks it will look bad to future employers if I "hop around" a lot, especially as a non-permanent employee.

Basically, meesa VERY confused
Welcome to the company.