I reapplied again... but...

trickpony1

UPS likes to hire college students and all other things being equal, they will hire the college student before they will someone who is looking for a career/long-term job.

Do you have any idea the implications of this statement?

The company knows a college student won't be around very long hence:
-the very low starting pay;
-the 1 1/2 years to get benefits for yourself and 2 years for your family;
-the lack of sufficient time to develop a bad attitude;
-the quick turn around to hire more impressionable, wide-eyed, niave forced labor.

I believe Henry Ford said something to the effect of, "....work a man seven years and then get rid of him."
It appears our company has modified that philosophy just a bit.

BrownNinjaz

Lugo,
I applied twice in a couple months time span for different positions, and there were no problems, and I am sure they knew.
As a couple of earlier posts have stated being that you’re in college should not be a negative in the hiring process. In fact, my experience has been quite the opposite. Although some hubs may differ, so far it seems for loading and unloading they are looking for college students. I think that is one of their main selling points but I have also heard “UPS it’s a workout”, but I found the TA to be more appealing than working out.
This month I have went through the entire process of applying, interviewing and now I’m going on my 2nd week loading. Honestly, the work is pretty physically demanding and the pay isn’t great so the tuition assistance makes it a little better, and the supervisors and trainers have reiterated this. Think of it this way, I only make 8.5 right now but actually I have to pay for school so I include the TA and theoretically I make like 12, I didn’t actually do the math but I think that’s close.
Furthermore, during both of my interviews I was asked how long I see myself staying, I was honest and answered quite frankly and told them I plan on working a year and a half until I graduate. Again, this didn’t have any negative implications either. If for some reason I was told I couldn’t get TA, or they were stopping the program I would give them my 2-weeks notice immediately.
-Good luck

Thanks, so what should I say if they ask why I want to work here?
Also, how long did you wait for them to call you? And did you called to see if you were hired?"

BrownNinjaz

She will know. And I know who that "she" is. I spoke to her briefly last week.

Well, there have been several tours with potential new-hires for preload the past few weeks. Also, the midnight is hiring. That is all I was saying previously.

She's skinny and has glasses. You know her? You should help me out.. Ha ha. You do know how bad I need this job. :( I guess I will be meeting her again this week.

BrownNinjaz

UPS is a difficult company to figure out sometimes, but to say that a college student raises red flags in the hiring process is probably not true. They want people that will come to work , work hard and go home. Every day. That is the bottom line. It doesn't matter who you are or what you do or how intelligent you are.

I know, but a lot of company prefer to hire a college student. UPS is a big company so they don't care at all. ^^

IzzyTheNose

Thanks, so what should I say if they ask why I want to work here?
Also, how long did you wait for them to call you? And did you called to see if you were hired?"

You should be honest. Being a student could work for or against you. A lot depends on how you sell yourself and explain your situation.

If this isn't your 1st interview, try to be as affable as possible. Remember, you're more than likely not the only potential candidate the H.R. rep is interviewing. So do what you can to stick out. Also, do not be afraid to ask for the H.R. rep's email/phone number. I was the only person in my group interview who asked for the H.R. rep's number, and he ended up giving me his email, because he said that would be the best possible way to contact him and receive a response.

Hang in there. The hiring process can be drawn out and incredibly frustrating. If working for UPS is something you really want, keep at it. I tried for over 2 years before I could even get an interview. I've now been with Brown for 8 months.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
She's skinny and has glasses. You know her? You should help me out.. Ha ha. You do know how bad I need this job. :( I guess I will be meeting her again this week.

Good. You need to sell yourself like the other poster said. It shouldn't be difficult. If I could do it when I was 22 anyone can. On the tour I went in with nice shoes, dockers, expensive sweater and they hired me. Most of the other candidates were ready to work; already had boots on and old jeans/tshirt. I sold myself by saying I was laid off from my high-paying computer job and was desperate and had worked in factories before, therefore the work would come naturally and easily. You need to let her know that you realize how demanding the work is, that you are the right person to hire, and explain why.

BrownNinjaz

Good. You need to sell yourself like the other poster said. It shouldn't be difficult. If I could do it when I was 22 anyone can. On the tour I went in with nice shoes, dockers, expensive sweater and they hired me. Most of the other candidates were ready to work; already had boots on and old jeans/tshirt. I sold myself by saying I was laid off from my high-paying computer job and was desperate and had worked in factories before, therefore the work would come naturally and easily. You need to let her know that you realize how demanding the work is, that you are the right person to hire, and explain why.
Thanks. I am shy, but I will try. I am going to say " I realized how demanding the work is. I am the right person to be hired because I had a similar job like this and I used to be one of the best worker. I was known as "fast" and "number one" .
I love fast pace job because the times goes by quick.

Not sure if that sounds good. But I am going to be honest. If they ask me if I want tuition, I will say " if guys want..." It would be great to receive some help, but not really necessary" it's up to the company to help me or not" I am going to ask for her e-mail. I am going to say " May I have your e-mail just in case I have questions"

Last edited:

22.34life

Thanks. I am shy, but I will try. I am going to say " I realized how demanding the work is. I am the right person to be hired because I had a similar job like this and I used to be one of the best worker. I was known as "fast" and "number one" .
I love fast pace job because the times goes by quick.

Not sure if that sounds good. But I am going to be honest. If they ask me if I want tuition, I will say " if guys want..." It would be great to receive some help, but not really necessary" it's up to the company to help me or not" I am going to ask for her e-mail. I am going to say " May I have your e-mail just in case I have questions"
tell em your the baddest mfer they have ever seen,when they tell you you have to load 350 per hour laugh and say is that it.walk in there like you own the place,tell them you will do the work of three guys and you have a photographic memory.

BrownNinjaz

tell em your the baddest mfer they have ever seen,when they tell you you have to load 350 per hour laugh and say is that it.walk in there like you own the place,tell them you will do the work of three guys and you have a photographic memory.

I thought it was more like 1,000 per hour? I will still laugh and say is that it? He he.
Also, should I wear a tight shirt or a jersey to show my muscles? I do work out.
I think I look skinny if I wear loose clothes. I want to show them my bicep, etc :P
So that way they know I can handle it.

BrownNinjaz

Well, I have an appointment today. I am going to rehearse what to say when they ask me Why I chose this job and if I need Tuition assistance.

This is what i am going to say if they ask me why I chose this job or why i want to work there.

I am to say: This is the kind of job I am looking. I used to work at a similar job like this and I was one of the best worker there. How much you said I needed to do per hour? 350? That's easy. I used to do 260-280 average at my last job for 10-11 hours, walking, lifting, walking. The requirement was 190 per hour.

Something like that riight?

And if they ask me You want TA? I will say: Not necessary, but if the company wants to help me with something, then they may.

I am sorry guys, just a bit nervous.. I will be nervous there. I am going to ask her e-mail just in case I screw up at the appointment. I mumble or I vague. :P

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Well, I have an appointment today. I am going to rehearse what to say when they ask me Why I chose this job and if I need Tuition assistance.

This is what i am going to say if they ask me why I chose this job or why i want to work there.

I am to say: This is the kind of job I am looking. I used to work at a similar job like this and I was one of the best worker there. How much you said I needed to do per hour? 350? That's easy. I used to do 260-280 average at my last job for 10-11 hours, walking, lifting, walking. The requirement was 190 per hour.

Something like that riight?

And if they ask me You want TA? I will say: Not necessary, but if the company wants to help me with something, then they may.

I am sorry guys, just a bit nervous.. I will be nervous there. I am going to ask her e-mail just in case I screw up at the appointment. I mumble or I vague. :P
There is really nothing to be nervous about. It's just your inexperience causing the nerves. When I was your age I had the same problem. Most of us have been there.

People that are 1/2 your intelligence and physical ability have gotten the job, just be yourself and be honest and you won't have to rehearse anything.

BrownNinjaz

Can I wear shorts or not?

And thanks. I will try my best not to mumble. :)
Since you know her, you think she would give me her e-mail adress?

Last edited:

BrownNinjaz

She seems friendly so yes, I would say so. I don't know why you would want her e-mail though?

I went there. IT was a different woman. Anyhow, I didn't ask for e-mail.
I told her that I like jobs like that and that I used to work at warehouse similar to this.
So she knows I have experience. Well see if I get a call soon. :)

Magnus

what planet are you from,ups is always looking for students.that is exactly what the job is set up for,it has been my experience that ups brings back the majority of its seasonal help exept for the few terds that arent cut out for this job.Its kinda hard to believe people have such a hard time getting hired,at my hub they take anybody,people who cant read,homeless people,people who have an iq of under 50,midgets , i mean anybody.
I don't know how your center handles college student applicants, but down here they don't like them because they know that the student is ALWAYS going to put their studies ahead of their work. They misunderstood me somehow, put down I was a college student, and I found out about four days later from the other guy I keep in contact with that that was the ONLY reason I hadn't been hired, because he thought I was a college student (which I am not and have never been - can't afford it on my 1K per year "salary"). So no, apparently UPS doesn't like college students or those they allege to be college students anymore (probably because they don't want to shell out the $$$$ for tuition reimbursement in this economic slump; in addition to them being "risky" hires for reasons already stated).

By the way, I'm not one of those "turds" you're speaking of. I'd have been fired during my first Peak if that were true, however I was not and I've since been hired back after that and now I'm going in for my third this year, this time on Preload out of three other hand-picked candidates. So the problem isn't with me, all the people I work with "love" me and want me in permanently including upper management, it's just this one HR guy who evidently has a problem for whatever reason. I don't know, and I frankly don't much care. However, again, that's what happened to me and just because of that, they passed me up.

I was just trying to help the OP out in case their HR guy/gal was just a sly with alleged/proven-to-be college students as the one I dealt with.