I want a drivers opinion

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So, are you saying drive, then choose to take a pay cut, and then go combo?

Sent using BrownCafe App

I'm saying drive, put money away in your 401k, live within your means and stay as debt-free as possible so that if you are given the opportunity to bid on a combo job you won't be forced to turn it down because "you need the money".

The same goes for retirement----plan now so that you can retire on your terms.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
So, are you saying drive, then choose to take a pay cut, and then go combo?

Sent using BrownCafe App
Yup that's exactly what im saying. But it usually takes a lot of senority nowadays to get a combo job. Lots of senior drivers getting tired of the bs, the :censored2: whoopins physically everyday and the crazy hours. Highly sought out nowadays, them combo jobs.

Jas85374

I'm saying drive, put money away in your 401k, live within your means and stay as debt-free as possible so that if you are given the opportunity to bid on a combo job you won't be forced to turn it down because "you need the money".

The same goes for retirement----plan now so that you can retire on your terms.
That's exactly what I'm trying to get in order. My back is already starting to show signs of wear at 30... I want to get as many hours in good pay and put away as I can, before I'm too old to get anywhere. That's why I'm thinking driving, because between moving houses in my spare time and putting out unbelievable numbers in the freight, I think driving will be a little easier on me. Moving houses is no joke. Try getting an oak dresser that someone built, over a damn balcony, because its too big and not collapsible. No fun. That's at least a weekly scenario too... Don't even get me started on slate pool tables.

Sent using BrownCafe App

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Its hard work, but just don't go out and try and be SUPERMAN. This job is a marathon, you cant win the 1 race in 1 day, just remember that. Most of the injuries I would say in my opinion are repetitive injuries on this job. You do anything enough repetitively, eventually something is going to wear out. Think of your body like a car, you start getting a lot of miles on that car eventually your going to have to get some parts on her fixed, same idea bro.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There is little that Macho Man and I agree on but one thing that we both advocate is supplement health and disability insurance. He has Aflac and I have Combined. 30 years is a long time and injuries will happen, especially those associated with repetitive motion.

Lwms

I have reached a point of seniority where I now may be able to go driving. I was wondering if this is a good idea because as far as the hub talk goes everyone is pretty negative about it. As drivers, do you regret going driving? Personally, driving was my goal when I got hired 6.5 years ago. There are a lot of nay sayers though. Your thoughts? Positives/Negatives?

Sent using BrownCafe App
After driving for 28 yrs my advice is to go for ,listen to others and make your own opinion(everybody has one)deliver by the methods taught and keep your own integrity no matter what.

Rainman

Its all good.
Combo may not sound attractive right now, but trust me dude, once you start getting some higher mileage on your back, hips, shoulders, knees, a combo job will look AWFULLY ATTRACTIVE lol.
I thought about going to a combo job, but the thought of humping cardboard for 8 hours a day seemed to be harder than driving. At least driving we get a break as we drive from stop to stop, while working inside, you have to steadily hump boxes for hours at a time with little or no break. That has to be harder on the joints than a driving job.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I thought about going to a combo job, but the thought of humping cardboard for 8 hours a day seemed to be harder than driving. At least driving we get a break as we drive from stop to stop, while working inside, you have to steadily hump boxes for hours at a time with little or no break. That has to be harder on the joints than a driving job.

Every center has different combo jobs bro. We got guys that gas and park trucks from 5 to 1 or work 12 midnight to 9am, parking trucks in line up for 4 hours and then loading trucks for 4 hours. Piece of cake both jobs and decent hours to still have a decent amount of time to still have a life or get stuff done at home.

Jas85374

Also, a thought that crossed my mind. See, I am one of their favorite work horses. Which to me means if I do go combo, they will find a way to give me 2 hard jobs, I think.

Sent using BrownCafe App

MassWineGuy

I think the o.p. should go for it and see if driving is something he likes. One man's treasure, as the saying goes. I am way on the outside, having only worked seasonally for UPS. But if I were 30 years younger or so I'd definitely try full time driving. As it is, seasonal driving is just fine.

This is an extremely useful and important thread.

Jas85374

Well to all who may be wondering, I quit sitting on the fence. It hurt my ass. Got the paperwork signed by center manager last night, going on the list today! My buddies that are drivers encouraged me as well and told me the wait shouldn't be that long with my seniority date. Here's to hoping that all goes well! Thanks for all the good pointers. I will definitely be sure to remember them. Work safe, screw management, and become my BA's best friend.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Rainman

Its all good.
Well to all who may be wondering, I quit sitting on the fence. It hurt my ass. Got the paperwork signed by center manager last night, going on the list today! My buddies that are drivers encouraged me as well and told me the wait shouldn't be that long with my seniority date. Here's to hoping that all goes well! Thanks for all the good pointers. I will definitely be sure to remember them. Work safe, screw management, and become my BA's best friend.

Sent using BrownCafe App
You have absolutely nothing to lose by trying it. When I left part time I didn't know of driving was going to be for me, but as long as I had the opportunity I felt that I should try it. You like to stay active, so this might be a good fit for you. The job is what you make of it. A lot of stuff is crappy, and it's easy to get an attitude, but that's just the business. Don't take things personal that aren't meant personal and you'll be a lot happier.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
Make sure you get out there on the road by Monday, the 12th. Wednesday the 14th it's suppose to be 102 degrees here in the valley. That should give you a good idea if you're cut out for this job, especially here in the valley. Drink lots of water young lad.

Jas85374

Make sure you get out there on the road by Monday, the 12th. Wednesday the 14th it's suppose to be 102 degrees here in the valley. That should give you a good idea if you're cut out for this job, especially here in the valley. Drink lots of water young lad.
I hope it's that quick. Ha. The heat is always fun in Local 104. You know I'll stay hydrated.

Sent using BrownCafe App

wayfair

swollen member
Also, a thought that crossed my mind. See, I am one of their favorite work horses. Which to me means if I do go combo, they will find a way to give me 2 hard jobs, I think.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Don't the bid sheets describe the work for the combo ?? sort/clerk, load/preload, small sort/spaw??

Jas85374

Don't the bid sheets describe the work for the combo ?? sort/clerk, load/preload, small sort/spaw??
Yes, but I've seen our combos get shuffled around a lot. I guess I could always grieve or something if I got one and they tried to do that.

Sent using BrownCafe App