I was part of this. I can only hope people will rally like they did then. It will happen again.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yeah, that worked out just great didn't it.
UPS Teamsters are in much better shape now than before 1997 ... especially the part-timers.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Yeah, that worked out just great didn't it.
UPS Teamsters are in much better shape now than before 1997 ... especially the part-timers.
Did you watch the video?? What I am saying is ups is setting us up for A major confrontation , and I hope public rallies behind us like they did in 97. Not at all saying things are better, especially for part timers.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Did you watch the video?? What I am saying is ups is setting us up for A major confrontation , and I hope public rallies behind us like they did in 97. Not at all saying things are better, especially for part timers.
Yes, I watched the video and it is an older one.
What I saw was all the supposed "wins" by the Teamsters did not really materialize especially for the part-timers.
Ask the Denver Broncos how much the support from it's fans and the news media help in the last Superbowl.

Mack Grant

Unfortunately there won't be a major confrontation. This incident in queens doesn't affect the rest of the country.
We still haven't heard any statements from Hoffa or Hall, and there probably won't be any until the smoke clears.
Corporate in Atlanta has issued statements and let their stance be known. It's bad but mgmt is holding the cards on this one.
Those drivers under the direction of their B.A directly violated the contract. I hope it doesn't escalate further (media wise) and the situation is allowed to defuse.
The quieter it gets the more likely a lot of those drivers will be able to return after some time off and media attention has focused elsewhere on other breaking news stories...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Unfortunately there won't be a major confrontation. This incident in queens doesn't affect the rest of the country.
We still haven't heard any statements from Hoffa or Hall, and there probably won't be any until the smoke clears.
Corporate in Atlanta has issued statements and let their stance be known. It's bad but mgmt is holding the cards on this one.
Those drivers under the direction of their B.A directly violated the contract. I hope it doesn't escalate further (media wise) and the situation is allowed to defuse.
The quieter it gets the more likely a lot of those drivers will be able to return after some time off and media attention has focused elsewhere on other breaking news stories...

Unfortunately there will be a major confrontation in 2018 as UPS will have had 4 full years to get the kinks worked out of Orion and will use that along with the supporting technology to try to bust the union.

Healthcare was the big issue in 2013. This has been resolved thanks to the Union agreeing to take over our healthcare.

There would be zero support for a strike today and most likely in 2018.

QKRSTKR

Unfortunately there will be a major confrontation in 2018 as UPS will have had 4 full years to get the kinks worked out of Orion and will use that along with the supporting technology to try to bust the union.

Healthcare was the big issue in 2013. This has been resolved thanks to the Union agreeing to take over our healthcare.

Didn't you say this contract would be ratified no problem? Your not on Orion till when? Sept '15. You have no clue. Orion needs to be amputated. Even though, they could have put us out this time around if they wanted to. The pass/edd system is way better than Orion.

Feeder drivers would be easy to replace. Yet for peak the company has to pay over $22 an hour just to get them in the door. No one will touch the job for $16.10. You think people will kill themselves for UPS for nothing? I'll also say the quality of package drivers even coming out of the part time ranks is terrible. It won't be as easy as you think.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I walked the line too, I thought we got screwed. Lost tons of business to Fedex when they started up their ground business afterwards. My first route was a warehouse route that had overflow everyday, that same route today you can do somersaults down the middle of the package car. Most of my pension fund money is in Central States, lets not go there at all with its brilliant investment planning. We were lied to by the company and union all the way around. At my Local, they told us that UPS was going to do completely away with our pension plan like they did the Thrift Plan to get a strike vote first. Worst contract year I have ever seen, and I have worked here since 1975.

BrownTexas

With the lack of concern for drivers that are 0-4 years in the new contract, I believe they are basically just going to try to wear the new drivers out until the quit or get hurt. I can honestly say that out of the 10-15 last full-time drivers hired maybe 2 of them will ever file a grievance. And those are probably the only ones in the union. All the others just whine about how they are getting screwed but then just try to kiss up to management thinking it will help.

UPS DOESN'T CARE ABOUT YOU.

LagunaBrown

I disagree. 2018 has many issues of relevance that will need to be resolved. Such as teamsters continuing the negotiating of healthcare funding or letting members go into exchanges. By then we should have a good idea of how Obamacare will effect us and how we adapt accordingly. Pension control and a few other things that will come to a head at that point (Orion is not one of them). That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if the IBT held back a punch knowing the big battle will be in 2018. The current affairs have many members thinking.... Thinking at the very least of social injustice, concession and union power. Im not making predictions or have a crystal ball. It's just my humble opinion for whatever it's worth.

I was around in 1997 and that is so far in the past. We have to live for today.

"In this world, if you read the papers, darling, You know everybody's fighting with each other. You got no one you can count on, dear, Not even your own brother". Janis Joplin - (Get it while you can)

10 point

Yes, I watched the video and it is an older one.
What I saw was all the supposed "wins" by the Teamsters did not really materialize especially for the part-timers.
Ask the Denver Broncos how much the support from it's fans and the news media help in the last Superbowl.
The Broncos dont deliver to the public every day. Know any of them?
Their pay scale may be a slight bit different than ours.

I bet they don't rally around us when it gets out there that I made 90 grand with another 40 grand in benefits.

In '97 our local paper published our pay rate and the value of our benefits package. While the vast majority supported our cause there was a vocal minority who threw that info back in our faces.
I make this and I don't need a degree. How will all these people with degrees working at Einstein Bagels feel about me when they don't have a pot to piss in.