Ice Driving course

Does anyone know if Colorado centers still provide Ice driving courses? My assigned district is dealing with mountains and hills and can be little bit crazy during the season. I am in class right now for the driver, and they said it is up to the center to provide the training.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Now I've heard of everything.
I’ve heard of “skid school” for feeders but of course the cost will be on you. The cost of if you lose control and wreck will also be on you, though. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Brownwind

Does anyone know if Colorado centers still provide Ice driving courses? My assigned district is dealing with mountains and hills and can be little bit crazy during the season. I am in class right now for the driver, and they said it is up to the center to provide the training.
Nope. Just learn to chain up and use the EC button. Protect the truck and the public you’re going be alright.

rod

Retired 22 years
EC OR MAILBOX
😎✊
Beware of using mailboxes. They are property of the US Postal Service and some Postmasters frown on others using them. Our local Postmaster would have all stuff left in mailboxes by UPS or FedEx brought to the Post Office. He would then contact UPS or FedEX and insist that the Center Manager come get their packages--a driver wasn't allowed to pick it up. Now you have the Postmaster AND your Center manager pissed at you. Not cool.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Beware of using mailboxes. They are property of the US Postal Service and some Postmasters frown on others using them. Our local Postmaster would have all stuff left in mailboxes by UPS or FedEx brought to the Post Office. He would then contact UPS or FedEX and insist that the Center Manager come get their packages--a driver wasn't allowed to pick it up. Now you have the Postmaster AND your Center manager pissed at you. Not cool.
They instructed us to mailbox last year ..on paper
🧔‍♂️✊

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I was very reluctant to use mailboxes because it is usps property. I had a few customers with very long dirt roads to their house, they would let me use there box, which was large and could hold a package. They knew the mailman, the postmaster and his family. Lol

rod

Retired 22 years
I was very reluctant to use mailboxes because it is usps property. I had a few customers with very long dirt roads to their house, they would let me use there box, which was large and could hold a package. They knew the mailman, the postmaster and his family. Lol
All is fine if everyone agrees BUT actually a homeowner don't have the right to tell someone they can use their mailbox. Check it out. The mailbox might be theirs BUT the inside of it belongs to the post office.

UnionStrong

All is fine if everyone agrees BUT actually a homeowner don't have the right to tell someone they can use their mailbox. Check it out. The mailbox might be theirs BUT the inside of it belongs to the post office.
I never had a problem, but I knew of other drivers who had packages taken by mailmen.

Commercial Inside Release

In the mountains, you'll just need to get over any reluctance to chain up. Keep your momentum up, and only stop on the top of a hill, or if there is some grip , the mild part of the downslope. Even if it means you are walking. Keep in mind, the cart is a little harder to push through snow.

One trip out of control downhill, and off a cliff and it could be over.

quad decade guy

We were sent out in Sleepers without a word on chains or even how an LMA worked or IVIS differences.

We were expected to go over Donner Pass without training or even a good luck.....just the threat of being fired or killed.

Nothing on inverters.......either. Maps could be printed....I guess you could have had one printed of the entire US. You were expected to navigate on your own and provide your own communications......I'm not sure what would have happened if you needed an alternate path with just the limited map they gave you. Nav aids and cell phones are expensive.....they should be provided by the company...100%.

I will admit.....my first week....I forgot to get a fuel card......we had to fuel at every hub the entire week. Some on path....some not.

I understand sleepers is our least safe operation.....

rod

Retired 22 years
I never had a problem, but I knew of other drivers who had packages taken by mailmen.
I even had one old rural postal carrier who offered to take a small package off of me and deliver it. Tempting but didn't do it. I did stop at a little post office almost every day when I first started that route with a list of stops I didn't know and the old postmaster would tell me exactly where those people lived. I even went to his retirement party. Small towns are great.

UnionStrong

I even had one old rural postal carrier who offered to take a small package off of me and deliver it. Tempting but didn't do it. I did stop at a little post office almost every day when I first started that route with a list of stops I didn't know and the old postmaster would tell me exactly where those people lived. I even went to his retirement party. Small towns are great.
Stone Age. I was in my eleventh year when you retired. I worked with a bunch of guys who started when you did. I learned how to deal with a lot of things from them.

Commercial Inside Release

Postal carrier took one off me, cause I was in a U-Haul. Made it over the first hill, into styrofoam snowdrifts up to the bumper. Managed to rock it and back up the little ways to the top of the hill, where I could turn around. Was thinking about walking it off or Emergency Conditioning it, and looking for my facemask, when a USPS contractor showed up. Even with 4x4 it took him 10-15 minutes to go 2 miles.