ICS Helpdesk is closing

It was bound to happen, with the volume of calls the Las Vegas helpdesk receives vs. what ICS does.

The ICS technicians are being given lateral job moves, so long as there is a need for their skills. Otherwise they'll be given severance packages.

To be honest, they had it coming. The people on the ICS desk are just plain rude.

whiskeyagogo

It was bound to happen, with the volume of calls the Las Vegas helpdesk receives vs. what ICS does.

The ICS technicians are being given lateral job moves, so long as there is a need for their skills. Otherwise they'll be given severance packages.

To be honest, they had it coming. The people on the ICS desk are just plain rude.

This makes financial sense - it's cheaper to close them rather than set them up in the new Wayne building. Call volumes are different because each performs different functions.

Lateral moves for techs? There aren't any open job reqs; I would be surprised if more than a very few stayed with UPS.

Had it coming because they are rude? Would it be fair to fire everyone in your group when you slip and are rude? My experiences with them have always been positive.

UPS-going green

I have object with your "The people on the ICS desk are just plain rude". i am not sure what your experiance was with ALL 45 technicians but i dont think anyone deserves to be layoff. Those 45 technicians have families, and homes and do have to continue through life. Having a bad day doesnt deserve a layoff.

UPS-going green

I saw that your part of the TSC help desk. I wanna wish you luck. Cause if you thought the ICS help desk was rude, your in for a "RUDE" awakening when you have to call the 3rd level groups. Best of luck to you.

Eagle 5

As a TSG technician, I thought ICS had some great techs. Never had a problem with them and they always assisted me. What a shame :sad-little:

I never had an issue with ICS techs being rude... even when they paged me at 2 or 3 in the morning and I wasn't at my best. They juggle all UPS apps except for external customer systems; I don't know if LV will have the expertise to handle the PFT calls without having to escalate.

From a dollar and cents perspective I see why its being done. From a support perspective, it might not work out as hoped... I hope LV ramps up their skill base with systems like PFT, GTS, ECM, UDC and the like.

I wish nothing but the best to the folks in ICS.

UPS-going green

The ICS help desk appreciates the nice comments noted here. HR is really doing a great job and speedy placements. Technicians are already interviewing. In reply to my comment about good luck calling 3rd level wasn't saying 3rd level was rude its just ICS receives ALOT of sev 2 issues that are not sev 2 issues and are resolved at our level with out having to page out. A page to GTS at 2 am will not go over well. Thanks for all the lucks and appreciation of our work!

housefull

This makes financial sense - it's cheaper to close them rather than set them up in the new Wayne building. Call volumes are different because each performs different functions.

This is really a shame as ICS was a good minor league for IS. There are at least a hundred or more ISers that started out there. I hope they all get jobs in IS, but the pickings seem slim these days.

whiskeyagogo

There are jobs posted on UPSERS.COM....can they apply for them ?

No. The jobs on UPSers.com are for mid-high level 1 unit MIP positions. The majority of people in the ICS are hourly (non-MIP), so the jump from their current position to those offered is simply too great. Entry level MIP positions would be more suitable or even lateral hourly jobs but none of those are open.

Some of the ICS folks are currently MIP and could apply I suppose. The positions I saw required a great deal of technical experience that may not be available to someone managing a helpdesk.