Idling during lunch

DOK

With temps getting colder I was wondering if there is anything officially in the contract, or an arbitration ruling won, that address's the subject of idling the package car during your lunch period and break, or at least permitted to turn on the truck periodically to keep warm? I seem to recall the temperature having to dip below a certain degree before it was permitted, but I could be wrong, thanks.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
We had a DM several years ago who told us there would be absolutely no idling whatsoever. He told us all in a meeting that he didn't care if we had to eat our lunch in a bathroom in order to stay warm, we weren't going to waste his fuel idling.

upschuck

It is things like these that make management/employee relations strained. Little stuff that shows how asinine they really are. Who cares about people, we need to save a gallon of gas($3).

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
It is things like these that make management/employee relations strained. Little stuff that shows how asinine they really are. Who cares about people, we need to save a gallon of gas($3).
Sounds like Orion...Shave 10 miles off a route to save a gallon of fuel ($3), but end up paying an extra hour of overtime ($50+).

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
1. Idle as needed to stay warm.

2. Earn $45 per hour on OT the next morning listening to the bitchings and whinings of fat-assed DM in a heated office in regards to said idle time.

3. Repeat as necessary.

Drivers shivering in cold, unheated trucks and peeing in the bushes on their lunch breaks might be the wet dream of UPS management, but it doesn't have to be our reality. Management isn't going to get anywhere in a disciplinary hearing going after you for simply running your heater during freezing weather. Its a pity that all of their hot air cant somehow be stored and saved for later use in the trucks, it would pretty much eliminate the very problem that they are whining so hard about.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I really can't believe you guys sit in your truck for lunch. There has to be a diner, a store, truck stop (where I eat) plus free wifi. I can't stand sitting in that thing any longer than I have too.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If its that cold i would idle regardless ! My sup would ask me why?? and i just told him it was cold.
If its freezing outside and you pull off to the side of the road and sit inside the truck for half an hour without the heater on....the windows will fog up and/or freeze over. This will then force you to idle the vehicle once your lunch is over in order to defrost the windows so that you can see well enough to safely drive. So one way or another....there is going to be some idle time. The only question.... is whether it happens on your time or the company's. Once you confront your management team with this simple fact, they will shut up and go find someone else to bother.

I idle when it's cold. There's nothing they can do. It's already been decided by the international. If someone gives you a hard time file a grievance and man up and call osha. They will wish you didn't open the door to the latter.

Griff

We had a DM several years ago who told us there would be absolutely no idling whatsoever. He told us all in a meeting that he didn't care if we had to eat our lunch in a bathroom in order to stay warm, we weren't going to waste his fuel idling.

That's funny because they have no issues keeping the heat in their offices going. I'll stop idling my truck during lunch when the OMS, center managers and division :censored2: upstairs get the heat pulled from their offices. It's not his fuel anyway, it's the shareholders (hedge funds) fuel.

10 point

I really can't believe you guys sit in your truck for lunch. There has to be a diner, a store, truck stop (where I eat) plus free wifi. I can't stand sitting in that thing any longer than I have too.
A lot of our idiot drivers don't sit in the truck where it's cold.

They wait until they've returned to the building at the end of the day and eat it in the OMS office.

And many of them have over 20 yrs seniority driving. Pathetic.

DOK

I idle when it's cold. There's nothing they can do. It's already been decided by the international. If someone gives you a hard time file a grievance and man up and call osha. They will wish you didn't open the door to the latter.

That's what I was wondering. You say it's already been decided by the international, where is that documented? If I get approached I'd like to have a come back, thanks.