If I go into management…

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
For those of you who don’t know me let me introduce myself:

I’m a Texan raised in South Florida
My first job at a big company was at age 17 driver helper for UPS in lower Manhattan. From there I became a loader in 177 and advanced to regular Tuesday to Saturday driver… Resigned in 2017.

From there I followed what I believe was the career meant for me and hired on with the now-defunct railroad called Conrail. I was a simple brakeman, basically a yard jockey whose sole job was to spin handbrakes on 120 rail cars every shift. Hiram Norfolk Southern has a Conductor and now it’s CSX again after a brief hiatus when Amtrak hired me in February 2020… Offer was rescinded just one week into training due to COVID-19 hiring limitations, we all got the boot and then 20% of current employees at Amtrak were laid off.

I have some military no real college just a couple of credits at an online university, for those of you who know me:

The next time I get laid off from the railroad… I think I’ll take my hand at joining the ranks of UPS again. but this time, and I never in my wildest dreams thought I would say this, my calling might be to become a member of management…

Those of you who know me on here know me to be human with a little bit of baggage; but nothing more than you can check for free on Amtrak.

Having done this job, although not nearly as long as most, who believes I could be the one who makes a difference? An advocate for the working man.

Last edited:

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge

i’m a Texan raise in South Florida my first job at a big company was at age 17 driver helper for UPS in lower Manhattan. From there I became a loader in 177 and advanced to regular Tuesday to Saturday driver… Resigned in 2017.

from there I followed what I believe was the career meant for me and hired on with the now-defunct railroad called Conrail. I was a simple brakeman, basically a yard jockey whose sole job was to spin handbrakes on 120 rail cars every shift. Hiram Norfolk Southern has a Conductor and now it’s CSX again after a brief hiatus when Amtrak hired me in February 2020… Offer was rescinded just one week into training due to COVID-19 hiring limitations, we all got the boot and then 20% of current employees at Amtrak were laid off.

I have some military no real college just a couple of credits at an online university, for those of you who know me:

The next time I get laid off from the railroad… I think I’ll take my hand at joining the ranks of UPS again. but this time, and I never in my wildest dreams thought I would say this, my calling might be to become a member of management…

those of you who know me on here know me to be human with a little bit of baggage; but nothing more than you can check for free on Amtrak.

Having done this job, although not nearly as long as most, who believes I could be the one who makes a difference? An advocate for the working man.
?

Overpaid Union Thug

i’m a Texan raise in South Florida my first job at a big company was at age 17 driver helper for UPS in lower Manhattan. From there I became a loader in 177 and advanced to regular Tuesday to Saturday driver… Resigned in 2017.

from there I followed what I believe was the career meant for me and hired on with the now-defunct railroad called Conrail. I was a simple brakeman, basically a yard jockey whose sole job was to spin handbrakes on 120 rail cars every shift. Hiram Norfolk Southern has a Conductor and now it’s CSX again after a brief hiatus when Amtrak hired me in February 2020… Offer was rescinded just one week into training due to COVID-19 hiring limitations, we all got the boot and then 20% of current employees at Amtrak were laid off.

those of you who know me on here know me to be human with a little bit of baggage; but nothing more than you can check for free on Amtrak.

Don’t do it man. You’ve heard the expression about crap rollin down hill right? If you go into management you’ll be one of the people down hill with your mouth held open to receive it throughout your entire career. UPS is a sinking ship and got escaped it. Don’t get back on. Even to to be a driver.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
I am sure you would be decent to work under as a supervisor. The question is do you really want to put up with all the crap. The on road supes at my building are really not bad - I’ve had way worse bosses at other jobs - but I don’t envy the position they are in. The company makes all kinds of ridiculous directives and the supervisors are the ones responsible for enforcing them. You are on the front lines of all the BS, basically.

But, you worked for the company already. You saw what the supervisor job entailed. If you think you want to do it then you would know better than anybody here.

MisplacedRailWorker

I am sure you would be decent to work under as a supervisor. The question is do you really want to put up with all the crap. The on road supes at my building are really not bad - I’ve had way worse bosses at other jobs - but I don’t envy the position they are in. The company makes all kinds of ridiculous directives and the supervisors are the ones responsible for enforcing them. You are on the front lines of all the BS, basically.

But, you worked for the company already. You saw what the supervisor job entailed. If you think you want to do it then you would know better than anybody here.
I’m just anticipating my next set of walking papers; but you’re right. Maybe I’m envisioning myself as Serpico when in all actuality, I’d be pushing termination letters into route boxes.

MisplacedRailWorker

I’m just anticipating my next set of walking papers; but you’re right. Maybe I’m envisioning myself as Serpico when in all actuality, I’d be pushing termination letters into route boxes.
AF8B8E3D-82F3-434B-A656-C27A0A3BE1CB.gif

nWo

You could be a 22.4 in 3-6 months in a lot of locations. Wouldn't you rather have ft hours, pension, insurance etc?

MisplacedRailWorker

You could be a 22.4 in 3-6 months in a lot of locations. Wouldn't you rather have ft hours, pension, insurance etc?
Yeah but they both smell like throw away jobs… 22.4 to feeders in the next 10 years? I’ll wager a couple grand against.

I could be the one who becomes center/division manager and treats the working man with dignity and respect.

Box Ox

I’m thinking of becoming a part time sup

I'd hate to see a talented railroader return to UPS in a PT management capacity and lose his soul.

Yeah but they both smell like throw away jobs… 22.4 to feeders in the next 10 years? I’ll wager a couple grand against.

Your chances of getting anywhere would likely be the lowest as a PT sup.

I could be the one who becomes center/division manager and treats the working man with dignity and respect.

Anyone who would do that probably wouldn't be a center or division manager for very long.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

I’m a Texan raised in South Florida
My first job at a big company was at age 17 driver helper for UPS in lower Manhattan. From there I became a loader in 177 and advanced to regular Tuesday to Saturday driver… Resigned in 2017.

From there I followed what I believe was the career meant for me and hired on with the now-defunct railroad called Conrail. I was a simple brakeman, basically a yard jockey whose sole job was to spin handbrakes on 120 rail cars every shift. Hiram Norfolk Southern has a Conductor and now it’s CSX again after a brief hiatus when Amtrak hired me in February 2020… Offer was rescinded just one week into training due to COVID-19 hiring limitations, we all got the boot and then 20% of current employees at Amtrak were laid off.

Those of you who know me on here know me to be human with a little bit of baggage; but nothing more than you can check for free on Amtrak.

If you want to make things better, apply for dispatcher, and get really good at it. I've never met a dispatcher who demonstrated any interest in even trying to do the job well, or learning how to limit the negative impact of ORION.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

That sort of thinking will preclude you from rising to those levels, that and the lack of college. If you want to try to do that, you have to make them think you are a zombie like them, and only stand out as the zombiest zombie.