If I'm on my parents plan, can I give transfer benefits to another?

Discussion in 'Health and Medical Topics' started by tachyon42, Apr 23, 2012.

  1. tachyon42

    tachyon42 New Member

    Hello all,

    New to the forums(and to UPS, 40 days under my belt).

    I am a part time worker at the Harrisburg facility, and had a general question which I'd like to get some employees' opinions on before I asked my superiors.

    I am 21, and am on my parents health insurance. Receiving part time health benefits as per union benefits, I would not be using my health insurance, as my mother gets excellent health insurance as an RN.

    Can I transfer these benefits to someone else, namely a dependent or girlfriend? Or do the benefits solely apply to the worker?

    Thank you for your help!
  2. UpstateNYUPSer

    UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

    You would be wise to file under the UPS plan and then submit any balance due to your Mom's plan.

    You cannot transfer the benefits to anyone, not even a friend with benefits.
  3. tachyon42

    tachyon42 New Member

    Well, not really a friends with benefits situation

    But yeah, I didn't think they would allow benefits to transfer. Thanks for the quick response!
  4. UpstateNYUPSer

    UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

    I threw the FWB reference in as a joke.
  5. tachyon42

    tachyon42 New Member

    But another quick question....would it work with a true dependent?
  6. UpstateNYUPSer

    UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

    A dependent would be covered after 18 months of employment.
  7. rod

    rod retired and happy

    I would think Moms insurance provider would insist you use your own insurance first.
  8. UpstateNYUPSer

    UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

    That's what I said--use UPS first and submit any unpaid balance to Mom's insurance.