If you could change only one thing at UPS what would it be ?

Work right slow and safe

Mine would be mgr would need to treat all upsers with more respect and treat us as adults not kids .

Dont get all mad just want to know how you would change things to make them better at you work place.

Last edited:

Dustyroads

Mine would be that all delivery vehicles were safe to operate and met all of the Federal standards for safety that trucks sold to the public must meet.

Ok...it's just a fantasy.

klein

Für Meno :)
Mine would be mgr would need to treat all upsers with more respect and treat us as adults not kids .
I think it's more like a little army, myself.
Work to your limits and add some more.
I would reduce working hrs, give everyone a life back.
All unions fought hard for a 40hr work-week, yet it's still not in place, esspecially not as a driver with UPS.
Just think how many jobs that would free up, and how nice it would be to be home at 5pm.

Dustyroads

klein, there are some drivers who do not work excessive overtime. One has to make the request, and be dilligent about enforcing the 9.5 rule. I don't speak for centers nationwide, but filing a 9.5 grievance in our building gets some real attention. We have a strong union steward and a good local. And, we have a good management team that gives plenty of work to those who want it or don't care, and at the same time reduces work for those who have made a formal request.

It works here.

helenofcalifornia

Filing 9.5's in our center gets you attention that's for sure, but all the wrong kinds of attention.

I would like it if UPS never went public. Yeah, the money they gained sent them into a new stratosphere, but they lost a lot of their humanity in these latter years. I am sooo glad I am not starting our with the company now. The newbies have absolutely no idea what UPS was like back then, the Jim Casey era. Do the newbies even know who Jim Casey is??? I doubt it.

Glad I have worked with UPS and enjoyed most of the experiences and people, but it's all about the bean counters now. (i know, I know, you have to have them. But....)

klein

Für Meno :)
Filing 9.5's in our center gets you attention that's for sure, but all the wrong kinds of attention.

Maybe, just maybe if you have a doctors appointment you might get away with it.
Other then that, you'll get or almost get written up, for not helping out others if your done at 5pm.
Dip sh.t 9 , not 5-9 LOL

Dustyroads

In the last three years, I've only had one time when the 9.5 rule was violated with respect to me. On that occasion I filed the grievance, the center manager gave a lot of excuses why it happened, but I let it stay in the book. It went to hearing, the poor center manager got pounded by the dm, and I've never had the 9.5 rule violated with me again. On that third day, the splits come rolling off, or sometimes they just call me and offer me the day off. The management team understands how much I don't want excessive overtime and they have reacted appropriately.

We can't really complain about the 9.5 rule not being enforced if we don't file the grievance.

Filing for nine-five violations in our center does nothing about reducing the number of nine-fives. It simply guarentees that the filing driver will be harrassed endlessly. And he/she is still overdispatched every day.

M

Mike23

UPS that follows their own rules equally and fairly with punishments dished out the exact same to everyone.

BrownBlue

New Jack
I'd eliminate the insane power that is based on some fantasy world where you might see a hobgoblin or such, that IE has over daily operations.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I would make IE subordinate to center-level management.

IE would have all its authority taken away, and act in an advisory capacity only. The final decision on how many cars to dispatch on a daily basis would be made by the center manager.

A center manager would have the authority to invalidate any timestudy that he deemed to be unfair, and would be able to order the IE to restudy the route. The IE would also be required to "run scratch" using safe methods on any route he studied.