If you were CEO for a day what would you buy/

ImpactedTSG

Prince?

Or are you referring to the year we went public?
The latter. I started in 2000 right after they went public and I saw many changes in the first couple years. There were a lot of cost cutting measures to meet numbers and such. A lot of the old guys always complained how it wasn't the same as the pre-public UPS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The latter. I started in 2000 right after they went public and I saw many changes in the first couple years. There were a lot of cost cutting measures to meet numbers and such. A lot of the old guys always complained how it wasn't the same as the pre-public UPS.

It's not--customer service has suffered due to the focus on the bottom line.

Leftinbuilding

You would need more help than just a buy out if your still working with over 35 years in:wink2: I'm thinking a session with a qualified shrink would be in order:happy-very:

You could be right. We want to relocate when we retire, but we can't sell our house, so........... Sometimes some serious couch time would be in order.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I, on the other hand, would submit a system wide order that NO helpers were to be used, PERIOD(with exception to peak season).

Hey! I'm CEO for today. And since I submitted mine before yours..I win..I win!!

Note: I'm firing you for making too much sense.

rod

Retired 22 years
You could be right. We want to relocate when we retire, but we can't sell our house, so........... Sometimes some serious couch time would be in order.

Buy a big :censored2: motorhome- gas is cheap-------------rent the house out---travel the country-------problem solved:peaceful:

sano

It would take more than a day, so the first move would need to be replacing everyone on the board with people that would make me the ceo for a few years:happy-very:

My goal as ceo would be to get rid of the toxic us vs them mentality that exist in many areas of the company.

OK I am done. I am actually not sure how one would go about this.

Would each manager be required to have an equal amount of positive/negative contacts?

Would going back to being a private company automatically help this?

How would we get from where we are to a healthier management/hourly relationship without losing what has made us a great company, systems and accountability?

Is the issue more about the relationship between levels of management that results in stuff rolling down hill.

I can recognize the problem as being a lack of respect going both ways, however I am not sure how I would fix it.

I guess its a little like our national political problems. I can tell you that the economy, the war, our international image are problems, but I am glad I am not the one that needs to come up with a solution.

diesel96

I would buy Liberals a clue. :happy-very:

I would buy Neo-Cons "Fantasy Island", fill it with illegal imigrants and Guantanamo Bay prisoners and clone Ricardo Montaban's dna and his little side kick too, and fly rt wing guest in on corithian leather interior planes over the island piloted by no other than Pres John "crash' Mccain with VP Sarah Palin in the gunners seat, strap to a fifty caliber picking off the island inhabitants.....:wink2: "Da plane", Boss.

I would wash the pkg cars daily.
I would provide crisp well made uniforms for all the drivers.
I would enforce appearance standards for all drivers.
I would target market advertising dollars in a 20/ 80 split.

How bout we advertise corperate sponsers on our uniforms as another form of income......we can all look like David Ragan and buy uniforms from the nascar store...

I would make all center managers and above come in to my office one by one and in five minutes or more, explain to me what the hell they could possibly be doing for 8 hrs a day five days a week and still have centers that run like kindergarten.

I would also have them explain all the pcm's and literature on cholesterol and heart healthy eating habits and then proceed to feed the workforce doughnuts, cake, pizza, and chickenwings when safety or service milestones are met...:treadmill:

BigBrownSanta

I don't think you can buy yourself out of the stuation ups is in today.

Common sense needs to be returned to the company. Maybe going back private would do that. The current company culture at ups also needs to be changed. The word "reasonable" also needs to be added to the company's vocabulary.

JMO

clone Ricardo Montaban's dna and his little side kick too

You would have be CEO of Amgen or Genentech for that.

705red

Browncafe Steward
It would take more than a day, so the first move would need to be replacing everyone on the board with people that would make me the ceo for a few years:happy-very:

My goal as ceo would be to get rid of the toxic us vs them mentality that exist in many areas of the company.

OK I am done. I am actually not sure how one would go about this.

RESPECT!

705red

Browncafe Steward
I agree, but how do you get there if you are ceo? We didn't get here overnight and it will be hard to get back to a position of mutual respect.
Theres a saying treat people how you would like to be treated.

Im just as guilty of being disrespectful towards others especially in management at one point or another.

When i was part time and going full time, i remember saying finally i will be treated like i should. Since i would now be a full time employee the company would recognize my sacrifices and treat me as a business partner.

Wow was i in for a big surprise. At first as a rookie driver i loved it, but only a few months in to it, i realized they did not care about me. The more work i did the more work i got.

I realized that as a ptimer i had more respect from my sups that i could ever have in package. My attitude was not always like this, i was always the glass is half full kind of guy, now I'm the glass is half empty guy.

Treat people with respect and you will get respect in return. Allow us to make it to our kids school functions every now and than, let us see them hit the baseball, or catch the game winning touchdown, you know the important stuff.

In return we would have no problem doing an extra pick up here or there, or doing an extra 20 deliveries if we knew you were spreading it around to everyone and not just a select few. JMO