I'm a new PT hire for Twilight Unloads

Bojack

I've been getting trained for unloading packages since Thursday. During the tour and and training, I have been told I am on 30 day probation for them to decide if they will keep me. So far, my supervisors like the effort I have been putting in and the willingness to learn. Of course they have pointed out I still have a few things to work out, as I go through my probation. My supervisor also pointed out on my first day, that if did not like what I was doing, he wouldn't keep me (He didn't put this rudely). I've competed in Track & Field for 3 years, so working hard for me is pretty good.

I was looking for tips and things I should keep in mind while I work through probation. I'm going to wait till I get paid to buy workboots. Do most of you stretch out before you start working? I'm still learning some of the slang/acronyms like "irregs" and how to properly spot them. What ways to help keep your endurance going having to repeatedly get low for packages on the ground?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Your probation is longer than 30 days...as you will not make book until January. Ways to spot irregs? If it is big and/or oddly shaped...or almost anything large that is not in a box.....rolls of carpet, tires, cardboard tubes, wooden crates, plastic coolers. Boxes that are large, or large and flat...or any box that weights more than 70lbs...all irregs.

Bojack

If it's longer than 30 days going towards January, shouldn't that have been said upfront? Is that normal across all warehouses?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If it's longer than 30 days going towards January, shouldn't that have been said upfront? Is that normal across all warehouses?
.Welcome to UPS! From October 15th to January 15th....none of those days count towards making book....hence come January 15th...you are still on probation.

T

Turdferguson

Yes you should stretch before work. Find a pace that is both comfortable and productive. The job is not a sprint but a marathon . Until you gain seniority don't cause problems or voice your opinion on how things should be done there. After you gain seniority work however fast YOU feel comfortable working ,complain about everything . And most importantly know that management is not your friend or buddy. To just about all of them you are a piece of equipment to be used until broken ,and then discarded and replaced

Sent using sound vibrations from a gassy stomachs

Bojack

Since I have my foot in the door, how would I go about expanding to other jobs in the company, like I.T.? Currently working on for my degree

oldngray

nowhere special
Foot in the door? You barely have a toenail in yet...lol
toenail?
ew2.jpg

thebrown1

If I was you I start with keeping your job or getting a job after peak. If you were just hired then you may be let go after peak is over (Unless you were hired on Part time - full time) Most will tell you don't count anything until you make it too that Jan date and peak is over.

Just saying I doubt if you can bid into an IT job from an unloader position. Would have to be hired off the street and holding a Union job may work against him.

I've been getting trained for unloading packages since Thursday. During the tour and and training, I have been told I am on 30 day probation for them to decide if they will keep me. So far, my supervisors like the effort I have been putting in and the willingness to learn. Of course they have pointed out I still have a few things to work out, as I go through my probation. My supervisor also pointed out on my first day, that if did not like what I was doing, he wouldn't keep me (He didn't put this rudely). I've competed in Track & Field for 3 years, so working hard for me is pretty good.

I was looking for tips and things I should keep in mind while I work through probation. I'm going to wait till I get paid to buy workboots. Do most of you stretch out before you start working? I'm still learning some of the slang/acronyms like "irregs" and how to properly spot them. What ways to help keep your endurance going having to repeatedly get low for packages on the ground?
1_SPLITTER_PAGE.png
1_SPLITTER_PAGE.png