I'm not even a brown yet!!! Questions

Hello. I've been lurking here, reading posts, trying to find some answers. I realize UPS is like most companies; can't believe anything unless it's in writing. Anyways,
a local center advertised online Package Delivery Drivers. I thought they always hired from within. I have had a CDL Class B license for years and have experience driving vehicles bigger than the Brown Trucks. I've been laid off for awhile; unemployment ran out.

Had a meeting a month ago (they didn't even call it an interview....it was an information session). HR guy said it was a temp position; no benefits, no seniority. They had to hire some guys within, but he said he would definitely need more drivers. He seemed excited because I already have the license and the required DOT physical card. He indicated they were going to get super busy. He also mentioned that Package Handler and Driver Helpers would be available. He does seem to be steering me to Driver Helper.

I called him in 2 weeks; he said the inside guys are away at school; he has to wait to see how they do and go from there. But he said I was at the top of his list.

I called him again 2 weeks later (which was this week). He said the inside guys all passed driving school. He no longer needs drivers! The inside guys are back at pkg handling because (I'm assuming, it's not peak just yet, and they aren't needed to drive yet). Again, he is mentioning the Driver Helper position to me. It seems like that would be a great way to learn to be a driver.

So the Pkg Delivry Driver job is no longer online. There is TONS of Helper jobs online as well as some pkg handler jobs. I live about 40 minutes give or take, to 3 different centers.

I started out only looking for a part-time gig. But, really broke; need income. The pkg handler position seems good because the hours work great for me and my family; and it would be a permenant position, and I'd get the seniority and benefits. But I'm old and fat and don't know if I could do the job!! (and another benefit of pkg handler...I'm old and fat and it would be a great way to lose 20 pounds!!!! lol) And being old, I have a really good work ethic (so do my kids).

Bottom line, if they're not gonna hire me for pkg handler, they're not gonna hire me! He does seem like he wants me for Driver Helper. Problem is, we are broke; my husband is having a coronary because he wants me to have income yesterday!!

I guess I'm trying to figure out what their next move is; what my next move should be. I'm pretty sure I won't even hear anything til Nov. 1....and I'll be lucky if I even start working after Thanksgiving (from what I've read here). And, like I've read, I'll probably get laid off in January! Trying to read a crystal ball, I guess....and I haven't even been offered a job yet!! lol

This forum has been very helpful to me, though. I appreciate any feedback, comments, sarcasm, etc.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You are better off finding some retail holiday job....a lot of stores hire extra people for the holiday shopping season. Being old and fat (no offense, you said it) and starting a package handler job....makes you appear to be a liability for UPS in terms of possible injury. Chances are good they probably wouldn't hire you....just give you the run around, and waste your time. Good luck in your employment search.

PeasAndCarrots

I wouldn't wish the driver helper position on anyone. Here, it's $8/hr and it's not even guaranteed 8 hours a day, most days it would be around 4. Also, odds are greatly against these helpers to NOT be called back for any future pkg handler positions.

upschuck

I wouldn't wish the driver helper position on anyone. Here, it's $8/hr and it's not even guaranteed 8 hours a day, most days it would be around 4. Also, odds are greatly against these helpers to NOT be called back for any future pkg handler positions.
If they reapply, they have as good of chance as any to get hired on.

upschuck

Depending on your location, helper pay can be $15/hr, and depending how good you are as to how long you work. They like dependable people.

PeasAndCarrots

If they reapply, they have as good of chance as any to get hired on.

I understand it may be that way in other places and that's why I started it of with "Here." I've seen maybe 2-3 helpers hired on after peak in the last 2 years and we run at least 25-30 every day during peak. I'd oy suggest helping to PTers who are considering cover driving.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I feel for your situation. Unfortunately , it would be in your best intrest to look elsewhere for employment due to the concerns stated by bleedinbrown 58. I wish you well and hope you find a good job soon. Hang in there.

clean hairy

Possibly though, could be a jam breaker, or run missorts to the return belt just to think of 2 possibilities for temp income.
At least some income and time during the day to seek more permanent employment.
If I may ask without being nosey, is your husband employed?

NickyNik

I thought it was the other way around. When I went in for my interview for a permanent position the lady doing my interview looked up my social before anything was asked, said oh you've worked here before, job is yours.

Hello. Yes, the husband does have a job...works way too much...salary...we are insurance poor! lol That's kind of why I was thinking of the PT pkg handler, because of the benefits...It would probably save us at least $800. a month! Although, I realize you have to be here a year before benefits.
Yeah, I can't remember if they said what the rate was for the Helper job. The pkg driver was $18.75.
I do know that where we are, you MUST have a CDL and the DOT physical card (which I thought was a requirement for anyone with a CDL nationwide). I was hoping that would give me an edge, but maybe not?
It just seems that in the long-run, UPS has way better opportunities, then say, a cashier at the dollar store??
I'm sure it'll all work out in the end.

I agree UPS does have way more opportunities then The Dollar Store. Just go into the job with your eyes open and know it is a PT job for $10.00 an hour and no benefits for a year. Good news is PT package handlers work everyday after gaining seniority and the medical benefits themselves are huge to a family. Also the paid vacations and Holidays. The ability to use your seniority to maybe bid an easier job or better hours on a different sort. Driver helpers are just used and thrown away after peak just like seasonal drivers.

cherokee

i dont want a better job im am gonna stay at ups until i get on full time ill work anytime they ask me and i have a cdl and updated dot pysical i do not give up!!

i dont want a better job im am gonna stay at ups until i get on full time ill work anytime they ask me and i have a cdl and updated dot pysical i do not give up!!

Wow. You sound almost exactly like the same position I'm in!!! But you're already working at UPS?

Feel free to PM me.

UPS will beat that attitude out of you. You will also have to find another job to subsidies your UPS PT job but that shouldn't be to hard with your qualifications.