In Loving Memory of Terry from G&A

2029guy

Terry was a loving husband, father and Pee Wee Football coach. Terry was having health problems as many of us do as we get older. Terry had been working for UPS for fourteen years so he started while the company was privately owned and they still referred to him as a employee. Since the company went public they started referring to him as a "Human Resource Asset" so they could de-humanize him and make him more like the nut behind a wheel on a package car. Since Terry started working for UPS many other things changed that made it easier for UPS to force older workers like Terry out the door like putting a lifetime limit on tuition reimbursement and reducing the available training to only things they had to for legal reasons. Terry will be replaced by a twenty something that just spent 100 k on a education and will be in the same situation as him in 14 years if the technology they are so proficient in now is no longer the latest fad.

Terry was yet another victim of UPS billing management he was PIP'd to death. At his exit interview they may as well have put a gun to his head and pulled the trigger. He has no realistic chances of being rehired at his age for a comparable position in another company.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Can I get my 54 seconds back that I wasted reading this drivel?!?!

Do yourself a favor and read it again.

It is sad how major corporations treat older management employees with limited upward mobility. While replacing them with a younger, cheaper and more eager version makes sense, little thought is given to those who are displaced.

The OP may have been a bit dramatic but he does make a point.

UPSGUY72

Terry was a loving husband, father and Pee Wee Football coach. Terry was having health problems as many of us do as we get older. Terry had been working for UPS for fourteen years so he started while the company was privately owned and they still referred to him as a employee. Since the company went public they started referring to him as a "Human Resource Asset" so they could de-humanize him and make him more like the nut behind a wheel on a package car. Since Terry started working for UPS many other things changed that made it easier for UPS to force older workers like Terry out the door like putting a lifetime limit on tuition reimbursement and reducing the available training to only things they had to for legal reasons. Terry will be replaced by a twenty something that just spent 100 k on a education and will be in the same situation as him in 14 years if the technology they are so proficient in now is no longer the latest fad.

Terry was yet another victim of UPS billing management he was PIP'd to death. At his exit interview they may as well have put a gun to his head and pulled the trigger. He has no realistic chances of being rehired at his age for a comparable position in another company.

Sounds like Terry needed to or needs to man up for once in his life. If Terry was a victim is was by his choice. We all make choices and as you get older the choices you make should get better. Unfortunately Terry made poor choice he has no one to blame besides himself.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sounds like Terry needed to or needs to man up for once in his life. If Terry was a victim is was by his choice. We all make choices and as you get older the choices you make should get better. Unfortunately Terry made poor choice he has no one to blame besides himself.

Terry became a liability due to his age, relatively high salary and little to no chance for advancement.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Do yourself a favor and read it again.

It is sad how major corporations treat older management employees with limited upward mobility. While replacing them with a younger, cheaper and more eager version makes sense, little thought is given to those who are displaced.

The OP may have been a bit dramatic but he does make a point.

What would we do without Dave to explain things to us?

Can't you ever give an opinion without trying act like you're smarter than the next guy?
Try it some time.

My take, we work for a company that once had a soul but no longer possesses a remnant of those days.
Good luck Terry, don't let them take another thing from you.

What would we do without Dave to explain things to us?

Can't you ever give an opinion without trying act like you're smarter than the next guy?
Try it some time.

My take, we work for a company that once had a soul but no longer possesses a remnant of those days.
Good luck Terry, don't let them take another thing from you.
No he cant.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The sad part is that, on this forum, most of the time I am smarter than the next guy.

Terry was either in management or was a non-union hourly in an administrative.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Terry became a liability due to his age, relatively high salary and little to no chance for advancement.
Terry got chewed up and spit out by "the machine" that is corporate America.
Due to a society of instant gratification, it is no longer good enough to do well.
Instead a company must consistently do better quarter after quarter, otherwise investors jump ship and the company falters.
This requirement is unsustainable.
Meanwhile day traders and hedge funds reap all the spoils and the front line worker ends up unemployed with what's left of their 401k, a program that was never designed to be a retirement plan, rather a tax shelter.
There is no longer any room for loyalty, appreciation or rights in relation to tenure outside of the union shop.
It's a shame, because it is what built what is now a crumbling middle class, the backbone of America.
The pendulum will not begin to swing back to its rightful place, in the middle, until we wake up as a nation and completely revamp the system, starting with an antiquated set of antitrust laws followed by the eradication of all lobbies.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I just got home after a nice dinner with my wife.

Why I got on here, I don't know.

But, the first thing I read is Dave telling the world how much smarter he is than any one else.

Pissed me off!

If you want to start an IQ challenge, Dave, let me know. I am certainly up to it.

(BTW, who is Terry? I must have missed something important.)

Terry got chewed up and spit out by "the machine" that is corporate America.
Due to a society of instant gratification, it is no longer good enough to do well.
Instead a company must consistently do better quarter after quarter, otherwise investors jump ship and the company falters.
This requirement is unsustainable.
Meanwhile day traders and hedge funds reap all the spoils and the front line worker ends up unemployed with what's left of their 401k, a program that was never designed to be a retirement plan, rather a tax shelter.
There is no longer any room for loyalty, appreciation or rights in relation to tenure outside of the union shop.
It's a shame, because it is what built what is now a crumbling middle class, the backbone of America.
The pendulum will not begin to swing back to its rightful place, in the middle, until we wake up as a nation and completely revamp the system, starting with an antiquated set of antitrust laws followed by the eradication of all lobbies.
:goodpost::goodpost: