Incompetence, pop tarts, stopwatches, no shows. Strange week?

kingOFchester

I work on a belt that has 9 union employees. We have 2 part time sups. A little over kill I would think. Anyway, we had 5 no-shows today. Seems as though I missed the memo that we were having a walk out. The unloaders in the back started to go home around 7:30am. Our belt and slides were stacked sky high. Do they send any unloaders to help? No.

However, we have 2 Part time sups, 1 full time sup, watching us. and radioing back and forth. Oh, did I mention we also had a safety manager of some sort asking us safety questions? The strangest part was the 2 guys writing down every truck number down and the time as they left the building. Our trucks got out late, so there will be a lot of late airs according to the drivers. What’s that saying…..to many chiefs not enough Indians? But hey, we answered the safety questions correctly….not that you could implement them into the real UPS world.

Best part of the week, one fellow employee was late….why? Because he got held up at the guard shack do to a lost UPS ID that he lost over Christmas. I asked “How have you been getting in the building all this time?” He says “I flash my pop tart package.” Only took security ½ a year to figure out he was flashing a package of pop tarts.

Anywhere else, this would be the start of a strange week. Here, life as usual….nothing to see move on.

rod

Retired 22 years
What kind of nincompoops are you working with King? Don't they know if you are going to be a no-show that you should do it on Monday or Friday?:wink2:

over9five

Staff member
What kind of nincompoops are you working with King? Don't they know if you are going to be a no-show that you should do it on Monday or Friday?:wink2:

Good point. That was a waste of a three (or possibly four) day weekend!

kingOFchester

Wait to you hear this.......the one guy called out last Tuesday (Day after the holiday weekend) and stated he was sick and will not be in until the following Tuesday. I guess his guestimate on being well in 1 week was a little off. Well here we are and he was a no-show Now thats a 11 day weekend!! . We have a pool going at work to see if he comes in tomorrow and if he will still have a job. Due to a hiring freeze (just recently lifted) he misses, on average, about 1 day every 2 weeks with out calling in. This last stunt puts him closer to 1 no show every week.

Either we have a GREAT union or crappy "chiefs"

some1else

Banned
omg i really have to explain this?
paper towel
face down cherry frosted poptart
peanut butter
hershey bar
face up cherry frosted poptart
microwave
burn the :censored2: out of your mouf!

jennie

Wait to you hear this.......the one guy called out last Tuesday (Day after the holiday weekend) and stated he was sick and will not be in until the following Tuesday. I guess his guestimate on being well in 1 week was a little off. Well here we are and he was a no-show Now thats a 11 day weekend!! . We have a pool going at work to see if he comes in tomorrow and if he will still have a job. Due to a hiring freeze (just recently lifted) he misses, on average, about 1 day every 2 weeks with out calling in. This last stunt puts him closer to 1 no show every week.

Either we have a GREAT union or crappy "chiefs"

This is why I feel like I wanna cross on over to the dark side sometimes and be a sup! I sometimes feel I could make a difference but I guess so many have thought that. I show up every day, and ***, I like to have a good time, and I have a family TOO!

Its these peeps that have no kids, no responsibilities, they don't give a ****, waking up for work is not important, when your the only you have to WORRY about.:biting:

fethrs

This is why I feel like I wanna cross on over to the dark side sometimes and be a sup! I sometimes feel I could make a difference but I guess so many have thought that. I show up every day, and ***, I like to have a good time, and I have a family TOO!

Its these peeps that have no kids, no responsibilities, they don't give a ****, waking up for work is not important, when your the only you have to WORRY about.:biting:
jennie I have acutally known some sups that make a difference, if you feel you could be a good sup you should really think about it, not all sups are bad. Most of the sups I know I like, not all of them but most of them. Just my 2 cents. :happy2:

jennie

jennie I have acutally known some sups that make a difference, if you feel you could be a good sup you should really think about it, not all sups are bad. Most of the sups I know I like, not all of them but most of them. Just my 2 cents. :happy2:

Thanks for that Fethrs, I like some of mine 2, everyone has an opinion, and we are not going to like the same people:happy2:

P

pickup

You know , now that I think about it, I have never seen a female supervisor. Maybe I got blinders on and see what I want to see, but if they are out there, they are definitely a minority. Maybe they are to be found in the small centers? Assuming that they are out there, how does it go for them being supervisors that happens to be female? While they probably have an better way of doing things,( left to their own devices) do they have to be twice as tough and angry as the male sup just to show that they belong in the job? Just wondering

fethrs

Thanks for that Fethrs, I like some of mine 2, everyone has an opinion, and we are not going to like the same people:happy2:
You are welcom Jennie and you are right about liking different people. If you do go over to the "dark side" (that cracks me up) you will have some people dislike you just because you are a female sup.

brownrodster

Definitely sounds like business as usual at UPS. We have 8 people on the sort and it's a good night if 5 show up. It's a nice feeling knowing that you can come and go as you please and not worrying about losing your job but still retaining your benefits. :rolleyes:

Back when I was PT we had a preloader who was allowed to work whenever he felt like it. He would show up 2 oe 3 times a week and the sups never did anything about it because they knew if they said anything he'd never show up again.

One time on our evening sort so many people called in that the sups asked the freakin mechanic to help sort packages.

UPSNewbie

In my short 30 days at UPS, I never had an ID. Some days, HR said the camera was broken, other days they said it was out of film.

OUT OF FILM?!

So easy... a caveman can do it.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
You know , now that I think about it, I have never seen a female supervisor. Maybe I got blinders on and see what I want to see, but if they are out there, they are definitely a minority. Maybe they are to be found in the small centers? Assuming that they are out there, how does it go for them being supervisors that happens to be female? While they probably have an better way of doing things,( left to their own devices) do they have to be twice as tough and angry as the male sup just to show that they belong in the job? Just wondering
We have quite a few female part timers but only 1 full time in the hub. There was a female Feeder manager and now she's district safety something. The female sups I've seen in the hub are VERY gung ho.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
I work on a belt that has 9 union employees. We have 2 part time sups. A little over kill I would think. Anyway, we had 5 no-shows today. Seems as though I missed the memo that we were having a walk out. The unloaders in the back started to go home around 7:30am. Our belt and slides were stacked sky high. Do they send any unloaders to help? No.
Just make sure that the next time your belt organizes a "brown flu" you are in on it.:wink2:

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
We have a female Ctr Mgr that came into the building as a Dispatch Sup.
I think she is better than some of the male managers we've had.

things2auction

Always remember,

If they are asking you safety questions when you are really busy, follow these easy steps.

1. Stop working
2. Stare at the supervisor
3. Answer the questions as slowly as possible
4. Continue until supervisors starts doing your work for you
5. File grievance

haha.... j/k

But seriously, why is it always time for safety questions when we are the most busy? Makes me lol.