Indirect gun delivery

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I have a business in addition to working for Express. On Wednesday, a Ground driver indirected an AR15 police assault rifle in a box that clearly was marked 'GUN', to my business that should have gone to the police department around the corner. My employee signed for it trying to be a good neighbor. The Police Chief is going to make a big deal about this with FedEx. My question is for anyone who works for Ground and might be able to answer.... Do you have any idea what might happen to this driver? Is this a firing offense? I know this a HUGE no-no.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I say if the pkg. wasn't deemed Direct Sig. you can deliver it to anyone indirectly.
And, it doesn't matter if the box has a gun in it or, a doll.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
On Ground labels it will say "Direct sign". Does it say that?

Example:
label_Dom_HazMat.jpg
label_Dom_HazMat.jpg

bbsam

Staff member
I have a business in addition to working for Express. On Wednesday, a Ground driver indirected an AR15 police assault rifle in a box that clearly was marked 'GUN', to my business that should have gone to the police department around the corner. My employee signed for it trying to be a good neighbor. The Police Chief is going to make a big deal about this with FedEx. My question is for anyone who works for Ground and might be able to answer.... Do you have any idea what might happen to this driver? Is this a firing offense? I know this a HUGE no-no.

It is a big deal, but I doubt a firing offense. Had the driver forged the signature, the yes, the consignee could persue it to that end.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Well,
If it came up on the scanner as Direct sign and the driver indirected it then, he is to blame.

I would guess it was direct signature required. Shippers are supposed to send them that way.

Key word supposed to!...I have talked to our loss prevention department several times. I informed them about wine and tobacco shipments without a signature required sticker on them. Their response.....ill look into it!.Maybe another 40 million dollar fine or two will make them notice!

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Yup.
I del. plenty of booze packages that don't have a sig. required.
If John Q. Public wants to ship a bottle of booze to his buddy, John Q. Public doesn't know the rules and just ships it.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
If I were you, I wouldn't go out of my way to get involved in this. Let the cops and X, deal with it.
BTW, why would the driver del. it to your bus.? Was the P.D. closed? Or, was it a total mistake that he was deling. the wrong pkg. to the wrong place?
I see that ALL THE TIME w/Ground drivers. (and UPS). Never with Express.

bbsam

Staff member
Well,
If it came up on the scanner as Direct sign and the driver indirected it then, he is to blame.

Absolutely. But we don't know and probably wouldn't get him or her fired unless it has been an ongoing problem.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
If I were you, I wouldn't go out of my way to get involved in this. Let the cops and X, deal with it.
BTW, why would the driver del. it to your bus.? Was the P.D. closed? Or, was it a total mistake that he was deling. the wrong pkg. to the wrong place?
I see that ALL THE TIME w/Ground drivers. (and UPS). Never with Express.
Small town. Police department was closed.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Now that's what I call a small town. Andy and Barney must've been up at Myers Lake with Helen and Thelma Lou at the time using the squad car for unofficial business. I can just see the eyes popping out of Barney's head and the muscles tightening up in his neck right now when he found out about the indirect.

whenIgetthere

Never heard of a police dept. being closed.:confused:

Sent from device_name using BrownCafe App

I used to deliver to a small town PD on Saturday, they were open M-friend, closed Sat and Sun! I never figured that one out, but I would indirect any non-DSR packages to the fire department next door, which was open 24/7.

CJinx

I'm surprised that a gun was shipped ISR. All the ones I've seen come ASR.

The biggest problem (I think anyway) is that unless your business is firearms, you probably don't have an FFL and shouldn't be receiving gun shipments... but it wasn't addressed to your business in the first place. Hm. Sniper? Care to weigh in?

Not sure what the chief would do or even what he can do; he's local police so it's not his jurisdiction, probably just report it to the BATFE and let the feds deal with it.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
If the Ground driver is at fault, in all likelihood nothing will happen to him other than 40 lashes with a wet noodle. Complaints about Ground drivers (which would get an Express courier fired pronto) fall on deaf ears. "Well he's not supposed to be doing that, but he's an independent contractor blah, blah, blah."