Information on transferring centers

UPSGUY72

Im working Pre-Load part time right now and looking into transferring elsewhere. Curious of the rules behind it.

Rules vary for transfer you need to read your local rider to the national contract and see if it's covered in it. If it isn't then the only way to transfer as a PTimer is to be enrolled classes in a school near the location you want to be transfer to.

Here is a link to the supplements. UPS Contracts and Supplements | Teamsters for a Democratic Union

Tflo90

Okay I'll look into that. What if I'm not going to school and wanting to transfer elsewhere to become full-time? Or is that even possible. I just don't want to have to quit then try and re-apply at another location

Overpaid Union Thug

Okay I'll look into that. What if I'm not going to school and wanting to transfer elsewhere to become full-time? Or is that even possible. I just don't want to have to quit then try and re-apply at another location

You can only transfer if it's education related. You go to the bottom of the seniority list at the new location but keep your pay and benefits the same. If you transfer from a hub (especially a larger hub) to an extended center you'd probably decrease your wait time for a full-time job. That is because there is a smaller part-time/full-time ratio in the smaller hubs and extended centers.

Socrates

One very important note to add:

After transfer, for preferred PT Jobs (Clerk, Smalls, Irregs, etc.), you're basically screwed--those are all based on CENTER/BUILDING Seniority. You'll go back to 0 as soon as you transfer.

However, for Full-Time jobs, many of those are based on COMPANY Seniority. So if you started in, say, January 2008, transferred in January 2012, and in February 2012, a FT Job comes up, you won't be putting 1mo seniority, you'd be putting 4 years 1 month.

Do your research, and take your time. You don't want to go from average-seniority and working every day, to low/bottom-seniority and possibly only working a few days a week, especially if you're still going to be a year (or two...or four) away from going FT.

Southwestern

Do your research, and take your time. You don't want to go from average-seniority and working every day, to low/bottom-seniority and possibly only working a few days a week, especially if you're still going to be a year (or two...or four) away from going FT.

I did an education transfer. You're correct -- you lose your seniority (for one-year) with respect to bidding on preferred jobs. HOWEVER, you do not lose your seniority with respect to right to work. I verified this through multiple sources before I xfr'd and would not have done so had that been the case.

That said, in both buildings I worked within, management decided who performed what job and never maintained intent sheets as required per contract. In order for me to perform the job I desired, I had to file grievances in both centers.