Injured at work and need advice

redshift3

A ireg fell on my toe unloading a trailer. I notified management. It did not appear to be broken. I didn't think I needed to see a doc and planned to let it rest over the weekend. They did not make me go.

On the weekend. Someone told me it looked like it could be infected. So I tried calling a manager and could not reach anyone. I went to the doctor as a private visit. They told me I have a closed fracture at the end of my big toe. No infection and no restriction but they did give me a ortho shoe. He said I can work but to try and keep my toe straight. Obviously I can't wear the shoe at work though.

I should have insisted on a injury report initially and didn't realize the big problem I caused by not doing so. After speaking with my manager he asked me if I wanted to keep it private or file a report. I don't know what to do. They said I could have some light duty work.

Should I just take it easy on it until I heal then? I don't want to fight over it and have hopefully learned my lesson.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
File an accident report....always file an accident report! Keeping it "private" in no way benefits you, it benefits management. Let's say when you went to the doctor, they said your toe was broken...can't work for 6 weeks until it heals. With no proof (no accident report filed), you'd have a tough time going out on comp and collecting a percentage of your pay. UPS could turn around and say you injured yourself outside of work....good luck proving otherwise. And if you're new and don't have health insurance, you will be responsible for your medical bills.

If you are injured at ups, notify your sup, ask for your steward and ask that an accident report be filed...do not leave the building without a comp claim # in your hand. As far as what to do now? Take the light duty until your toe heals. I find it a little surprising you have a broken toe, and yet the doctor didn't give you a weight restriction.

Last edited:

redshift3

thanks for the advice. However I have already went to the doc without filing a report since I did not do it initially and could not get a hold of anyone before. What kind of problems will this cause for me filing it after the fact? In other words will I be in trouble since I did not file it right away?

I know my manager is worried about getting in trouble and it seems like this is going to cause some drama. I don't know how to respond to the grief I am going to receive.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I'm not sure if you can file it now....what did your steward tell you? I hope you didn't discuss this with management without your union rep present. Stop worrying about causing drama and getting your manager in trouble. That's not your problem, your problem is your broken toe and whether you can still safely perform your job while injured. Talk to your steward asap.

redshift3

I found this online for our state.

9. WHAT NOTICE SHOULD BE GIVEN TO YOUR EMPLOYER WHEN AN ACCIDENT OCCURS?
Your employer should be notified of the accident as soon as it occurs even though the law allows you forty-five (45) days to do so. It is best to notify your employer immediately as this will avoid a dispute which could delay payment of benefits.

I am not under restriction so I will still be working either way. Will see if I can find a steward as well but I don't have contact info for any of them on the weekend.

UPSGUY72

You notified your Sup after it happen you to just decided not to file a report at the time because you thought it was ok. After a day later be it Sat it didn't get better so you went to the Dr to get it looked at.

What's the problem ??? There shouldn't be one you SUP new you got injured and din't file any paper work to not have a injury report on record for a non injury. This is standard practice at most centers...

Just get a hold of Your SUP ASAP Most likely Monday morning and tell him things didn;t get better over the weekend and you went to see a Dr. You should have just went to the ER and told them it was work place injury and they would have start the workmans comp paper work for you...

Since you aren't going to miss work it won't be a lost time accident however you better know all your DOK because they are going to ask you all that crap........

saintrick

When you get back to work file the accident report. Do not be surprised if your manager denies you told him.

Also keep in mind your private insurance may reject the claim if they know this was a work place injury.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When you get back to work file the accident report. Do not be surprised if your manager denies you told him.

Also keep in mind your private insurance may reject the claim if they know this was a work place injury.

I was having issues with loss of sensation in the tips of the tips of my ring and middle fingers on both hands----went to my primary doctor who referred me to an ortho surgeon----turns out the ulnar nerve in both elbows had to be re-routed. It was also determined that this was caused my years of repetitive motion. My initial visits were private insurance but once the cause was determined the case was switched to comp. Comp repaid the insurance company for any costs that they incurred and paid me $880 for the time I out of work. While it would have been ideal to have started as a comp case it all worked out in the end.

To the OP----you need to go in Monday morning with copies of all your paperwork and sit down with the same sup and file an injury report. Yeah, it's going to be a pain to "back date" everything and your sup may give you a hard time, but it needs to be done to make sure that your interests are protected, especially if it does become a lost time injury. You also need to make sure that UPS complies with any restrictions that your doctor put in place for your return to work as they are notorious for ignoring restrictions, especially the "no lifting over ## lbs" restriction.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Always always always report any injury no matter what. I twisted my ankle so I called it in, reported it, and finished the day. On my way home I swung by the hospital to get it checked out and it turns out it was broke. We upser's are a tough lot but always report any injury just to cover your buttocks.

Indecisi0n

You aren't in trouble but management is in big trouble now. They are going to have to report and injury on monday but back date it for friday. That's a big no no and their bosses are going to chew their asses out. You butt was covered when you told you sup about it on friday after that you just play dumb.

redshift3

My thanks to all of you. Its on official record now. I don't know what I was thinking. It was my full time supervisor that was talking about making it private etc. The big boss had more sense about it and I didn't have to argue about filing it.

I may have panicked and was not thinking clearly when this happened. I thought that I would be ok after resting it over the weekend so I didn't insist on going to the doc because I am well aware of the harassment that occurs over these things. They didn't bother me too much after making it official but I did receive a few comments that I thought were unprofessional besides them wanting to keep this off the record. I told the big boss that I didn't have a choice because I had concerns about it being infected when a family RN looked at it. He had some comments about if it isn't cut its probably not infected. Thats how this issue came up in the first place with people trying to play doctor including myself.

This has given me a epiphany about ups. I doubt they had any concerns at all about the improperly loaded ireg and are only worried about their bonuses. I've always known they are this way. I don't dislike the work but I am very disappointed in the job. This among other things is causing me to reevaluate my long term plan to work there.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Management can make all the comments they want regarding your injury....they are not doctors. If the doctor gave you any restrictions....make sure you follow them. When working, follow all safety procedures as best you can (you should always do that but be extra diligent about it)...management WILL be watching you.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Get a lawyer. You have a workmens comp case. They will send you to the right doctor to find the payoff injury.