injured off the job

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by S.F. Rush, May 5, 2017.

1. S.F. Rush

S.F. Rush All Encompassing Member

Took an RTO yesterday. Long story short. I was working in my garage standing on a chair, footing slipped and I rolled my ankle really bad. Went to my doctor and have a really bad sprain. They wrote me a doctors note saying I can't do my normal duties for at least a week. Since it was off the job, can I still request TAW for next week so I can still get my 8 hours? Can't afford to miss a whole week with no pay. Thanks Brothers and Sisters

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  2. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

You can ask, but be prepared for them to say no.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Brownsfan

Brownsfan Active Member

They don't even like to give restricted work to people who got hurt at work. So the answer is gonna be no.
    One caveat though, is if they're really short on drivers you can tell them I can drive someone but I can't deliver. In my building if a supervisor doesn't have to go on road then he'll throw a helper in that truck real fast.

4. dookie stain

dookie stain Cornfed whiteboy

Man up and do the right thing...twist it while verifying all your air is in your truck before you leave the building Monday morning

• Funny x 11
    • Winner x 4
    • Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • List
  5. dookie stain

dookie stain Cornfed whiteboy

Really though...I know a few guys who got hurt at work but said it was off the job and their disability pay was more...idk if that's true or not

6. S.F. Rush

7. S.F. Rush

Yeah I'm in a walking boot on my right foot so no driving for me. Guess I'm SOL than huh?

8. Brownsfan

Brownsfan Active Member

Yes sir. The company in that situation pretty much looks at your ankle and says "he didn't do that here so why should we be punished. " Get some ice on that ankle and start thinking about different ways you can speed the healing process up.

9. S.F. Rush

Yeah I can't really blame them for that though. I knew I shouldn't have taken that RTO. I figure I'll be out a weeks pay. I'll put on my big boy pants and figure something out. Thx

10. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Single digit midget!

Nope.

You can ask them if you can burn a vacation week or two but they do not (and most likely would not) offer you light duty for an off the job injury.

11. UpstateNYUPSer

With very few exceptions, comp generally pays more than disability.

12. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Not only is it a weeks pay but you will also lose health insurance for being out a full week.

13. UpstateNYUPSer

Depends upon where you are.

14. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

FMLA will cover that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  15. bottomups

bottomups Bad Moon Risen'

Not a chance you get TAW for a non-work related injury. Apply for disability through your union local as it would at least cover your health insurance if off a whole week. In my local you would receive $350 for the week.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

You don't get FMLA for an ankle sprain.

17. Wally

Wally BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Next time, do what you have to do to get into work, then report the accident. You hurt it on the job.

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  18. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

If you can't afford a week off of work with no pay you need disability insurance.

19. Brownslave688

All of teamcare needs to work one day a week. I know some places were able to keep different plan.

20. Brownslave688

If you're out for 3 consecutive days or more you can.