injured off the job

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Took an RTO yesterday. Long story short. I was working in my garage standing on a chair, footing slipped and I rolled my ankle really bad. Went to my doctor and have a really bad sprain. They wrote me a doctors note saying I can't do my normal duties for at least a week. Since it was off the job, can I still request TAW for next week so I can still get my 8 hours? Can't afford to miss a whole week with no pay. Thanks Brothers and Sisters

Brownsfan

They don't even like to give restricted work to people who got hurt at work. So the answer is gonna be no.
One caveat though, is if they're really short on drivers you can tell them I can drive someone but I can't deliver. In my building if a supervisor doesn't have to go on road then he'll throw a helper in that truck real fast.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
Really though...I know a few guys who got hurt at work but said it was off the job and their disability pay was more...idk if that's true or not

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
They don't even like to give restricted work to people who got hurt at work. So the answer is gonna be no.
One caveat though, is if they're really short on drivers you can tell them I can drive someone but I can't deliver. In my building if a supervisor doesn't have to go on road then he'll throw a helper in that truck real fast.
Yeah I'm in a walking boot on my right foot so no driving for me. Guess I'm SOL than huh?

Brownsfan

Yeah I'm in a walking boot on my right foot so no driving for me. Guess I'm SOL than huh?
Yes sir. The company in that situation pretty much looks at your ankle and says "he didn't do that here so why should we be punished. " Get some ice on that ankle and start thinking about different ways you can speed the healing process up.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Yes sir. The company in that situation pretty much looks at your ankle and says "he didn't do that here so why should we be punished. " Get some ice on that ankle and start thinking about different ways you can speed the healing process up.
Yeah I can't really blame them for that though. I knew I shouldn't have taken that RTO. I figure I'll be out a weeks pay. I'll put on my big boy pants and figure something out. Thx

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Took an RTO yesterday. Long story short. I was working in my garage standing on a chair, footing slipped and I rolled my ankle really bad. Went to my doctor and have a really bad sprain. They wrote me a doctors note saying I can't do my normal duties for at least a week. Since it was off the job, can I still request TAW for next week so I can still get my 8 hours? Can't afford to miss a whole week with no pay. Thanks Brothers and Sisters

Nope.

You can ask them if you can burn a vacation week or two but they do not (and most likely would not) offer you light duty for an off the job injury.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Not a chance you get TAW for a non-work related injury. Apply for disability through your union local as it would at least cover your health insurance if off a whole week. In my local you would receive $350 for the week.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Next time, do what you have to do to get into work, then report the accident. You hurt it on the job.