injured off the job

Indecisi0n

If you're out for 3 consecutive days or more you can.

"A Labor Department regulation requiring that an employee be incapacitated for three consecutive days to have a serious health condition under the Family and Medical Leave Act is valid, and it is properly understood as requiring three full days of incapacity, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit recently ruled (Russell v. North Broward Hospital) U.S. Ct. of App., 11th Cir., 10/2/03) "

You think that a sprained ankle fits " a serious health condition"?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
"A Labor Department regulation requiring that an employee be incapacitated for three consecutive days to have a serious health condition under the Family and Medical Leave Act is valid, and it is properly understood as requiring three full days of incapacity, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit recently ruled (Russell v. North Broward Hospital) U.S. Ct. of App., 11th Cir., 10/2/03) "

Serious enough to be out of work for a week and in a walking boot...

ManInBrown

They're going to say no to TAW. Here they only allow TAW if it's an on the job injury because it's comp. Since they're paying you anyway, why not get something out of you. Also they like to keep a closer eye on comp employees to try to get you back to work as soon as possible. Since your case would be disability they really don't care. I was on disability a few years ago and wasn't ready to go back to work and my Dr basically said it's completely up to you when you want to return. Came right out and told me since your on Disability and not comp they don't pressure me to get you back to work.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Took an RTO yesterday. Long story short. I was working in my garage standing on a chair, footing slipped and I rolled my ankle really bad. Went to my doctor and have a really bad sprain. They wrote me a doctors note saying I can't do my normal duties for at least a week. Since it was off the job, can I still request TAW for next week so I can still get my 8 hours? Can't afford to miss a whole week with no pay. Thanks Brothers and Sisters

TAW doesn't apply for non-work related injuries.

It doesn't hurt to ask.

Or, join the safety committee. :biggrin:

You can ask them if you can burn a vacation week or two

That is an option.

FMLA will cover that.

Nope.

It would be the equivalent, of asking for an ADA accommodation.

Next time, do what you have to do to get into work, then report the accident. You hurt it on the job.

"He's a really good guy"

And only stole.... 1 video game.

-Bug-

CanOSup

One of them
Man up and do the right thing...twist it while verifying all your air is in your truck before you leave the building Monday morning
Im sure Liberty Mutual will not investigate the doctors visit he had in which they deemed him unavailable to work....I had a driver try this once. He is no longer employed with UPS

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Man up and do the right thing...twist it while verifying all your air is in your truck before you leave the building Monday morning

True story. A kid I went to school with was a basketball star. His dad used to do all the videotaping for the team and one night had his foot slip through the bleachers and mess up his ankle pretty badly. He sucked it up 2-3 days and limped into his forklift job at a huge factory.

Apparently, he was borderline diabetic and that along with his injury caused gangrene to set in and he wound up getting his leg amputated just below the knee.

The good news was he made a lot of extra $$ because he was on workers compensation. The bad news is he lost a chunk of his leg by being a greedy :censored2:.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
True story. A kid I went to school with was a basketball star. His dad used to do all the videotaping for the team and one night had his foot slip through the bleachers and mess up his ankle pretty badly. He sucked it up 2-3 days and limped into his forklift job at a huge factory.

Apparently, he was borderline diabetic and that along with his injury caused gangrene to set in and he wound up getting his leg amputated just below the knee.

The good news was he made a lot of extra $$ because he was on workers compensation. The bad news is he lost a chunk of his leg by being a greedy :censored2:.
Damn!!!

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy

Roll damn ankle!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The OP should check with his local unemployment office to see if he would qualify to collect unemployment benefits while he is out of work due to the injury.

ManInBrown

Health insurance remains intact on disability. If disability is denied for whatever reason you're shifted to FLMA but you have to pay the insurance fee. The way it works here is, if you're on disability insurance remains intact thru union dues that you repay when you return to work. However many months you miss. If disability is denied then you are automatically enrolled in FLMA and UPS will send you a bill for your insurance fee due.

When I was on disability a few years ago you are automatically enrolled in FLMA but it's not active. Let's say your disability ran out or for some reason it was terminated but for whatever reason you were not ready to return to work that's when you're moved to FLMA. So I got an insurance bill from UPS HR for $0.00 but I called just to make sure I didn't owe anything. She said that bill is if your disability was denied or terminated you would have to pay a bill for your insurance.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Health insurance remains intact on disability. If disability is denied for whatever reason you're shifted to FLMA but you have to pay the insurance fee. The way it works here is, if you're on disability insurance remains intact thru union dues that you repay when you return to work. However many months you miss. If disability is denied then you are automatically enrolled in FLMA and UPS will send you a bill for your insurance fee due.

Uh.......no.

When you go out on disability you request a withdrawal card so that you are not on the hook for union dues.

Dues are not used to pay disability premiums.

You do not have to pay "back dues" when you return to work.

There is no "automatic" FMLA enrollment nor do you have to pay the insurance fee.