injury on the job management

sjh

Not sure I understand the situation. Someone got hurt on the job, and management is having that employee stay home and use their sick days instead of what? Getting money from wc? Or going to a doctor? Can you elaborate?

overflowed

Using employees sick time instead of using workers comp pay? Does anyone know if.this is right?
Normal procedure. Immediately take all sick days from what I understand. Is it right? that I don't know. If it was somehow illegal I don't think Express would do it. This is not one of those "gray areas" as BBSAM likes to say.

GROUNDIsAHugeSCAM

Using sick time for injuries is typical for most companies. FedEx is backwards enough, they won't mess with sick leave. Good on you for looking out for yourself/coworkers though.

FUFred

I do know it varies from state to state but if you get hurt at work, more important at this ***** company get a lawyer. Happen to me I was out with a broken ankle for 9 weeks.I had to burn my sick days, then they wanted me to use my vacation. I would get a lawyer because in the end you will get you sick days back. Fedex will send you loads of paper work to fill out, I filled out 2 papers nothing more as per my legal advice. The 3rd party ins company is there only to save fedex money they do not care about you at all. I cannot stress getting a lawyer enough. I was lucky enough to have a friend, well customer I became good friends with who practiced workers comp law. He was able to get my sick days back, fedex will fight this tooth and nail but at the end I made out. They do not care at all bout you, all they want to does save money. Fedex told me I had to see a doctor they approved of and no one else, I went to a doctor of my own choice and told them to speak to my lawyer. Never once was I questioned again by fedex. GET A LAYWER.

chargerlou

The guy was returned to work with restrictions
they couldn't use him with those restrictions so they sent him home and told him they would use it sick days doesn't seem right

sjh

Have you ever heard of Silicon Valley/ Bay Area? Look it up bro.

They hired, but not more than California lost. CA is the least business-friendly state and lost nearly a million jobs during the recession. A few thousand jobs in technology cannot make up for that.

MAKAVELI

Have you ever heard of Silicon Valley/ Bay Area? Look it up bro.

They hired, but not more than California lost. CA is the least business-friendly state and lost nearly a million jobs during the recession. A few thousand jobs in technology cannot make up for that.
CA still has the biggest economy in the country. The Bay Area is second only to New York in concentration of Fortune 500 companies in the US. And that's not even counting So Cal. Yea CA got hit hard during the recession and a large part of that was the housing bubble but we are on our way back.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And yet during recent hard times many, many people from all over the country moved into Texas because there was work. Name one state run by Democrats where that was so...?

Texas offers a lot of the low-wage jobs that are the trademark of GOP-led states, particularly in the South. Governor Perry and Texas are "open for business", but only the "right" kind of businesses are attracted there. Rick Perry=Empty suit with nice hair who will happily take your money.

xfdxgroundmgmt

The guy was returned to work with restrictions
they couldn't use him with those restrictions so they sent him home and told him they would use it sick days doesn't seem right
My understanding on working with restrictions is that the company should, want to work the person with the restriction, if they don't that person will be getting paid from workers comp. Now if the company has work for the employee and they don't work then they can lose the work comp claim and or be terminated. I don't know how each state may or may not be different, however we always looked for accommodations in the work place, usually 2 to 3 hours for part time package handlers. I never had a claim for a full time employee so I don't have any info regarding that, however I think it would still be in a similar realm.