Injury Woes

supercool

Well, I'm in another pickle at work (surprise). I dislocated my shoulder outside of work Thursday night, so I called in to tell them that I needed to go to the doctor to get it put back in. When I got into the car to go to the ER it popped itself back in, so I just stayed home (an ER doc can't really do anything except maybe take an X-ray and give me a referral to an ortho [which I already have]). It was still quite sore the next day so I called in Friday night. They asked if I had gone to a doctor yet, which I hadn't because I couldn't get an appointment on such short notice. It's a big PITA to go to the doctor when there's nothing really wrong -- I know the bone isn't broken; the ligaments are torn and it's stiff but it wasn't a very bad dislocation since it just fell back into place. This is all the result of a pre-existing condition (I dislocated my shoulder at work about a year ago).

I don't know if I'm up to doing my normal job. After four days it's feeling a lot better -- not stiff and sore. I'm sure if I went to a doctor he'd say I shouldn't use it for a month (like what happened last time). My only option now is to get surgery to repair the shoulder joint. I can do that (insurance will cover it), but I don't know if I can afford to be out of work up until then and during the recovery. Do I go in and ask if I can do a job that would be less strenuous on my shoulder? Should I go to a doctor and get a note saying I can't work? I don't want to mess up my body anymore than it currently is, but I also don't want to be out of work. I don't want to go in, reinjure myself, and have them say it was my fault (even though they want me back ASAP -- you know how UPS feels about staffing). Should I try going to another area, stay where I'm at, or get the doctor to say I shouldn't work? I'm trying to play out how all the situations could go in my head and am getting a headache!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When you told them that you needed to go to the doctor you should have gone, even though your shoulder had popped back in to its joint and they probably could not have done much more for you but you would have had a documented doctor visit in your pocket. You said that you couldn't get in to see your regular doctor but did not say whether you had planned on going to a clinic. By calling in Friday evening without having seen a doctor, you put the burden of proof on your side.

There is nothing that can be done at this point to change what has happened. My advice to you at this point is to sit down with your supervisor, explain what happened and express your concerns about potential re-injury if you continue in your current position, discuss the possibility of surgery and ask if inside work would/could be offered to you during your recovery. If not, then you have to decide whether one month of reduced income is something that you can live with knowing that you will be able to work much more comfortably and, hopefully, for a long time to come.

This thread should act as a wake-up call to those of us who do not have supplemental health insurance, whether it be AFLAC or Combined, which would provide a supplemental income during your recovery period and would be in addition to workers comp, which doesn't kick in until after the first 2 weeks. Check with your union local to see if they offer disability payments. Check with your creditors to see if they would work with you during your time off from work.

I think that your first course of action is to meet with your supervisor, discuss your options, and go from there. Good luck.

SC, you said "This is all the result of a pre-existing condition (I dislocated my shoulder at work about a year ago)."
Did you report the injury then? Did you see a doc then? If so, I believe that you should still be covered under that incident with WC. If that is true, then I would go back to the Ortho and follow his/her lead. Untill the ligaments are repaired this will continue to happen and probably get worse.
Upstate is correct, you should have gone to the doc the first day.

ImpactedTSG

SC, you said "This is all the result of a pre-existing condition (I dislocated my shoulder at work about a year ago)."
Did you report the injury then? Did you see a doc then? If so, I believe that you should still be covered under that incident with WC. If that is true, then I would go back to the Ortho and follow his/her lead. Untill the ligaments are repaired this will continue to happen and probably get worse.
It was re-injured outside of work, so it may be hard to prove that it was related. Good luck and I agree with the supplemental insurance comment.

supercool

Update:

I went into work Monday and my FT supe said he wasn't comfortable working me because of my injury. He told me to go see the doctor and tell him what he says.

I went to the doctor this morning and he agreed with me that I need the surgery to get it fixed. Luckily I can use my mom's insurance to cover it. I am unable to work right now though, per the doctor's orders.

So, here's the current timetable:

From now til 3/26 (when my surgery is scheduled) I probably won't be able to work... maybe in a couple weeks I could go back, but my surgery will then interrupt that. After my surgery the recovery is about 2 months.

How do I go about handling this with the company? Quit? I'm not opposed to it. I have no aspirations of moving up into management or going driving (I'm a senior in college so soon enough I'll be able to get a full-time job in the non-UPS world). I'm just not sure how to go about it. Do I go in, tell them to cash out all my vacation/etc., and say by the way, here's my two weeks?

This is kind of a crappy situation. I never intended to be forced out like this, but circumstances being as they are I'm essentially forced out of work for about 3.5-4 months. I don't think it makes sense to try to maintain my employment during this time, though. I can find another job in the meantime.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions? Thanks.

supercool

Yes, I reported it then and they took me to the ER to get it popped back in. I had dislocated it even before working at UPS, though, so I guess it was pre-existing when I started with the company.

L

Load Stand

Do you have Short Term Disability benefits as part of your UPS Benefits? Ask your HR persons..

Cementups

Box Monkey
If you have ST disability and UPS will not let you work then you should be able to collect unemployment as well as ST disability.