injury

iamupser

Grease Monkey
1. Yes
2. No

Recently had a hernia, went to company clinic, was told Yes, hernia caused by work, we can schedule to have it fixed, BUT your blood pressure is too high so I'm revoking your DOT...

Long story short, it was up to the Medical Examiner's discretion, and actually was not in violation of DOT regs (per email from DOT)., but the M.E. has the power, and who pays the M.E.?

Okay ,wow So I guess you reported your injury to the supervisor and went to the UPS Doc and she agreed it was work related..(Hernia) ha and she took your blood pressure and it was high so you got your DOT card revoked. Ha they get you coming and going. Ha I not even going into my injury situatin cause it would be a book. Lets just say From the situation that I have gone through, I got to see the company in several ways. Wow I wished I had not wasted like 15 years here

iamupser

Grease Monkey
I think alot of our injuries could be books, or websites... Your not the Lone Ranger, but the only way we can effectively change UPS for the greater good of its employees is to have a unified voice and use every communication tool available to make people listen. If we complain amongst ourselves, nothing will change, if word starts getting out to the general public, UPS doesn't like that as much... We need to protest our politicians to make meaningful changes in laws and regulations, for example worker comp laws basically shield companies from meaningful liability and were enacted in the early 1900's. It protects large corporations.

In my case, the clinic got to look like the "bad guy", usually when people are injured their blood pressure naturally rises, however in my case I have hypertension and diesel exhaust exacerbates it. Most others I have spoken to were given the opportunity to come back the next day to have it re-evaluated. If I had been given that opportunity, all would have been fine. The Physician Assistant thought I would be "off" for the DOT card and not get "comp" for the hernia, but our contract gives us a year to get our DOT back if that happens.

Hope everything works out for you...

Re-Raise

Microdiskectomy L5. Back to work in 2 months. Agreed to a structured annuity settlement over the next 5 years. It was 15 years ago and I have no trouble with it at all.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
many injuries and always a problem getting LibMutal to send a check. They tend to send several small checks, never on time.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Liberty Mutual is just the group of Yahoo's that UPS uses to shield themselves as UPS is self-insured. Now, you know why the check is always late and wrong.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
Liberty Mutual is just the group of Yahoo's that UPS uses to shield themselves as UPS is self-insured. Now, you know why the check is always late and wrong.

I used to drink that Kool Aid too, until recently. At least in Michigan, they publish a list of "self-insured" companies, and UPS isn't 1 of them. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/wca/wca_self_ins_list_217583_7.pdf

That piqued my interest, and when I was talking to my "claims representative", she could not give me a straight answer if they were "self-insured", she said she "thinks" UPS pays up to a certain amount then if it goes over Liberty Mutual picks up the rest (gee, sounds like a deductible). Anyways she told me to talk to my "HR" people for more info. I just don't know why they sell that story so much if it isn't true.

rod

Retired 22 years
I was off work for 2 and a half months with a herniated disk after not calling in sick for 17 years and was treated like dog crap by both the company and liberty mutual. The center manager called me at home after I had been off for about a week and told me to get my :censored2: back to work because he knew I was faking it. At that time if you needed to talk to liberty mutual you had better plan on listening to elevator music for half a day because they would put you on hold forever. I sure hope its different now. I pretty much lost ALL respect for the company after that incident. Just writing about it now probably jacked my blood pressure up.

menotyou

bella amicizia
They aren't listed as self-insured because they shield themselves with Liberty. I have spoken with the woman who works for UPS in my area who cuts the checks Liberty uses to send to me. She said they are self-insured. You need to stop drinking kool-aid. It rots your brian.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Bilateral ulnar nerve release. Two weeks recovery and two weeks light duty. No problems with comp or LM. Glad I had supplemental health insurance (Combined) and the check I received from them when added to the comp was just about what I would have been paid had I been working.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
UPS is self-insured (at least they claim to be). There is a pamphlet in our center on the board that states it.

As far as UPS and Liberty Exclusive being kind to the injured, that's laughable. Their job is to not pay or cover anything to anyone, at all costs. You can't blame them because of the society we live in today and the fact they are in business to make a profit. However, it is still a very shady practice to just deny every claim that comes in whether it is legit or not, without even investigating it.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
"self-insured", she said she "thinks" UPS pays up to a certain amount then if it goes over Liberty Mutual picks up the rest (gee, sounds like a deductible). Anyways she told me to talk to my "HR" people for more info. I just don't know why they sell that story so much if it isn't true.
They are self insured.

Think of it as a personal insurance situation.

You dont carry insurance for your health, because you pay out of pocket for all your doctors visits etc. But what you do, is carry a catastrophic health care policy. You can pick it up for a little of nothing, and it covers you for health problems that would bankrupt you if you had to pay it.

What UPS does is pretty close to the same. They cover workers comp injuries up to a certain dollar amount, and Liberty covers it from there.

So they are self insured.

d

iamupser

Grease Monkey
I'm just saying it must not be the same criteria that qualifies as "self-insured" at least in the State of Michigan, because other large "self-insured" corporations from Lowe's, to Chrysler, to United Airlines are on this list, can't find UPS. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/wca/wca_self_ins_list_217583_7.pdf

So if they are truly self-insured as everyone has stated, they must operate under different rules than everybody else (which would not surprise me).

menotyou

bella amicizia
I'm just saying it must not be the same criteria that qualifies as "self-insured" at least in the State of Michigan, because other large "self-insured" corporations from Lowe's, to Chrysler, to United Airlines are on this list, can't find UPS. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/wca/wca_self_ins_list_217583_7.pdf

So if they are truly self-insured as everyone has stated, they must operate under different rules than everybody else (which would not surprise me).

They wrap themselves in the Liberty Mutual flag, so they don't have to list themselves as self-insured. Be sure, it is a rouse.
As you said, no surprise.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If UPS is self-insured, then why did Liberty Mutual deny my claim? Shouldn't UPS deny the claim? Like others have said, it seems more like smoke and mirrors to public awareness than actually being self-insured.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Liberty Mutual handles all claims. There is a department in each division that cuts the checks Liberty uses to process their claims. I have spoken with the person in my division when Liberty denied me something. Within 24 hours of said conversation, Liberty has reversed their position and paid whatever I required.

Last edited: